Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:25 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
You need to check the exact terms of the ticket, but in general they have made the value tickets so that you are only allowed to change date.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
How early does AY allow you to check in at HEL and/or pass the security? Can I spend like 12h in the lounge if I choose to do so?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Unsub
How early does AY allow you to check in at HEL and/or pass the security? Can I spend like 12h in the lounge if I choose to do so?
Same-day ticket is what's needed to go thru. Theoretically you can spend as much time as you like in the lounge unless you purchased access which only allows 3h.

12h is a very long time so the dragons will change shifts so it's unlikely you'll get "caught"
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:01 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by intuition
You need to check the exact terms of the ticket, but in general they have made the value tickets so that you are only allowed to change date.
It was not possible to change route as predicted. But it was actually not that bad for me. Value tickets ex-France now have a 65EUR change fee and 50% penalty in case of cancellation. So I cancelled the whole ticket, paid half of the fare (~80EUR) as a penalty and booked the new ticket. I always thought that it's 50% for the whole ticket including YQ, taxes etc, but it turned out to be only 50% of the base fare. ^
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Furry
It was not possible to change route as predicted. But it was actually not that bad for me. Value tickets ex-France now have a 65EUR change fee and 50% penalty in case of cancellation. So I cancelled the whole ticket, paid half of the fare (~80EUR) as a penalty and booked the new ticket. I always thought that it's 50% for the whole ticket including YQ, taxes etc, but it turned out to be only 50% of the base fare. ^
I have had to upgrade ticket type to Y class for being able to reroute destination.
And yes you found the point with cancelling Value ticket, so it is not bad at all when you play it right.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
What's the baggage cut off time at ARN?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: AY+ Silver, IHG Gold Elite
IŽm trying to look for flights in September 2017 to KTT (to see autumn colors and friends wedding). Finnair schedule looks rather interesting at that time, some days there are two flights: 7.05 and 7.20 in the morning but nothing else, sometimes one flight 15.35 etc.

How likely it is that the flight schedule will be still changing before autumn? Will there be more flights added or I have to take whats avalaible now? The prices are already imho ridicilously high and IŽm not sure if I want to take my changes and wait for better deals..
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:04 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
Fragile item as a baggage

Booked Value fare for Finnair, 1 baggage included, from HEL to Europe. And I need to bring a coffee machine packed in a cardboard box with me. Can I check this in as a fragile item or is it just my resposibility to pack the whole thing for hard baggage handling and hope it will be not be broken?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
They can put the fragile sticker on it, but I'm not sure how it effects the handlers. Anyway, pack it well.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:56 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by Abducted Alien
Booked Value fare for Finnair, 1 baggage included, from HEL to Europe. And I need to bring a coffee machine packed in a cardboard box with me. Can I check this in as a fragile item or is it just my resposibility to pack the whole thing for hard baggage handling and hope it will be not be broken?
Some years ago I had a bag containing fragile items and asked at check-in to put a fragile-sticker on it, but she told they don't do it anymore. Though don't know if that policy has changed since.

On the other hand, I wouldn't count on those stickers to protect the contents too much. Once I watched plane being loaded at OSL and there was a box with fragile stickers all over it. The guy loading the bags on the conveyor belt going to the hold of the plane looked at that box for a while, raised it up, and let it drop freely. Other pieces of baggage got much softer handling.

In any case I would pack it very well to endure almost everything.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:37 am

fragile item as a baggage.

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
They can put the fragile sticker on it, but I'm not sure how it effects the handlers. Anyway, pack it well.
Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
Some years ago I had a bag containing fragile items and asked at check-in to put a fragile-sticker on it, but she told they don't do it anymore. Though don't know if that policy has changed since.

In any case I would pack it very well to endure almost everything.
Thank you; good to know! I just was online chat with Finnair and they too said, that they do not do it anymore; consult your insurance company before flight, and pack the item well; it must go through machine baggage handling.

Last edited by Abducted Alien; Apr 12, 2017 at 5:38 am Reason: cat on the lap
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:06 am

Award return flight does not count to flight segments towards status; that is AY+ silver in my case. If I cancel that and buy a fare, IŽd be silver in August. Is it worth to get AY+ silver? Seems that there in no use for me for to get a 50% discount from advance seat reservations and I would not fly enough for gold in this year.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:30 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Exclamation

Award return flight does not count to flight segments towards status; that is AY+ silver in my case. If I cancel that and buy a fare, IŽd be silver in August. Is it worth to get AY+ silver? Seems that there in no use for me for to get a 50% discount from advance seat reservations and I would not fly enough for gold in this year.
Personally, I wouldn't bother. Silver is more or less useless.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Without knowing your travels and flights I would go for that:

-Priority Check In -desks

-Priority security in HEL. That is something I miss when flying Norwegian (no status).

-Extra bag (from Bangkok)
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Without knowing your travels and flights I would go for that:

-Priority Check In -desks

-Priority security in HEL. That is something I miss when flying Norwegian (no status).

-Extra bag (from Bangkok)
Thank you. One year back from this day I did 36 segments: 18 flight segments with Norwegian, 4 Finnair, 12 SAS and one return long haul with SK. Now AY has a new destination from spring to autumn which I frequently fly all year around as do D8 with mostly better schedule and cheaper fares when available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.