Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:20 am

I'm planning to cut the cost of flying to the US from HEL by doing a direct turn at ARN (AY803 and AY804, to be specific). Are there any potential issues with this? E.g., bussing at ARN taking excessive amount of time. If I recall correctly, all my AY flights to ARN have had a gate arrival.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:32 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by kartos
I'm planning to cut the cost of flying to the US from HEL by doing a direct turn at ARN (AY803 and AY804, to be specific). Are there any potential issues with this? E.g., bussing at ARN taking excessive amount of time. If I recall correctly, all my AY flights to ARN have had a gate arrival.
No issues whatsoever.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:59 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
It does not apply to you, but there is one potential issue with bags when connecting XXX-HEL-ARN. With the increasing congestion at HEL there are times of the day when baggage handling does not cope. For routes like HEL-ARN, with a very high daily frequency, there is a tendency to send bags on next flight instead of delaying departure to allow for short connecting pax's bags.
But with 45 min scheduled turn-around at ARN you weren't planing to bring a checked bag anyway, right?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I've flown to ARN T2 frequently, and never experienced a stand arrival. You'll be safe.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
And in this case as the passenger is starting from HEL bags can be checked already at HEL for TATL leg (ie HEL-JFK), no need to bring it to ARN turnaround
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:05 am

Thanks for the replies.
Originally Posted by intuition
But with 45 min scheduled turn-around at ARN you weren't planing to bring a checked bag anyway, right?
Originally Posted by Furry
And in this case as the passenger is starting from HEL bags can be checked already at HEL for TATL leg (ie HEL-JFK), no need to bring it to ARN turnaround
No checked luggage, forgot to mention that.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I wonder. Haven't most, if all, missed connections here been about pax transferring from LH to SH? I'd assume a midnight LH flight will wait 10–20 minutes for connections if need be. They have an hour of extra time embedded to the schedule anyway, and there's no take off queue at HEL at that time.

I wouldn't change the LHR flight to an earlier one since you will land at the non-Schengen side and won't have to go through security or passport control. It is a very easy transfer, 5 min from gate to gate.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:14 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
True. IME the midnight longhauls are rarely in a hurry to get going.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:51 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Yes, that is true, they often wait connecting pax if they know they are coming with a small delay. It is just my preference not wanting to cut it too close with connections, 45mins vs. 2h40mins before a long haul with good lounge I'd always take the 2h40m just to avoid rushing, if possible..
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Yes, that is true, they often wait connecting pax if they know they are coming with a small delay. It is just my preference not wanting to cut it too close with connections, 45mins vs. 2h40mins before a long haul with good lounge I'd always take the 2h40m just to avoid rushing, if possible..
I don't do much LH but at least to BKK last time I could have chosen 45min connection time but I chose land transport instead of the ATR. It turned out that this ATR (like many others) was a little bit over 30 min delayed and they did not wait. The plane was supposed to be full and now there was a good amount of free space. Well they could blame it on the weather (snow) which probably made it easier to decide to just leave.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Not directly related to Finnair, hope it is OK to ask: Does anyone knows if the travel insurance that comes with Nordea Gold credit card would cover missed connections on separate tickets ? I tried to read terms but could not see any restriction on how the ticket is bought ( I am very dumb in reading layer's texts ).
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Can I upgrade award booking (X class) to Business with points/vouchers?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Furry
Can I upgrade award booking (X class) to Business with points/vouchers?
At least according the wiki it's Upgrades with vouchers - "award flights booked via AY+ are also eligible (booking class X)" but not with points.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat
Will the change/cancellation conditions for AY tickets bought via OTAs follow that of the corresponding fare class sold direct by AY?

I am thinking of buying a business “I” ticket via expedia (will get a lot more miles as expedia frequently partners with card companies in my country offering 2-3x miles on top of the accelerated earning for spending on air tickets) but on the checkout page there’s a mention that the ticket is non refundable. The same “I” ticket sold by AY direct (business saver) allows change/cancellation with a fee so just wondering if it’s a case of expedia not displaying the correct information or the fare conditions are different when buying from OTAs.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by mechu
Will the change/cancellation conditions for AY tickets bought via OTAs follow that of the corresponding fare class sold direct by AY?

I am thinking of buying a business “I” ticket via expedia (will get a lot more miles as expedia frequently partners with card companies in my country offering 2-3x miles on top of the accelerated earning for spending on air tickets) but on the checkout page there’s a mention that the ticket is non refundable. The same “I” ticket sold by AY direct (business saver) allows change/cancellation with a fee so just wondering if it’s a case of expedia not displaying the correct information or the fare conditions are different when buying from OTAs.
"I" doesn't mean anything regarding the fare conditions. I had "I" tickets that were non refundable, refundable for a fee or fully refundable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.