Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
BA bagdrop at HEL

Sorry, not AY related but we're the guys who know most about HEL.

So can if I'm on the afternoon BA flight to LHR, can I drop my bags at the BA counter in the morning, when the morning flight checks in/leaves?

It would make life so much easier not having the luggage all day long with.
Old May 22, 2017, 1:34 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
It would make life so much easier not having the luggage all day long with.
Yes you can. Works with major airlines at HEL, even with D8.
Old May 22, 2017, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thx ^
Old May 22, 2017, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Whilst on the HEL topic, what is the earliest possible you can check bags at HEL from a security perspective? At ARN it's 23h before departure but it's up to each individual carrier to manage their check in.
Old May 22, 2017, 3:21 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
So can if I'm on the afternoon BA flight to LHR, can I drop my bags at the BA counter in the morning, when the morning flight checks in/leaves?
Originally Posted by Abducted Alien
Yes you can. Works with major airlines at HEL, even with D8.
But I assume it depends on that airline having a desk open, ie only for airlines that has an earlier departure with a check-in window fitting your schedule. (I'd love to drop my QR bags the night before, but they only have one non-codeshare departure a day so I can't see that work)
Old May 22, 2017, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by intuition
But I assume it depends on that airline having a desk open, ie only for airlines that has an earlier departure with a check-in window fitting your schedule.
Exactly - AY is easy, BA can also be done with morning and evening departures. Also SK, LH maybe even TK is doable. Once daily QR is probably not.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:46 am

Hi, I just booked myself and my wife on separate bookings on the same flights JFK->ARN->JFK on AY (and OW partner BA). We are both OWS through BA.

My itinerary was booked through my company's corporate TA and is awaiting ticketing. My wife's was direct with AY. The outbound sectors are on BA metal and I've been able to change my seat assignments to be next to hers without problems. The inbound is on AY metal and whilst I have automatically been allocated seat assignments, I can't change them to be next to her - I just used the AY live chat and was told that's because I've not been ticketed yet, which is reasonable.

We tried when my wife booked, as an OWS she got free seat assignments at booking on the AY-metal flights. We've wanted to change the seat assignments on those flights on her booking to be next to mine, but we can't figure out how. There seems to be no link on the Finnair.com MMB for seat changes. There is a "special seats" link which shows the seats she's been allocated, and they look like they should be clickable, but they aren't.

Is there some sort of period we have to wait before it's possible to change the seat assignments?

(NB the flights aren't until November and were virtually unreserved when she booked and made her initial selections)

Many thanks!
Old May 25, 2017, 12:18 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by rpjs
... There is a "special seats" link which shows the seats she's been allocated, and they look like they should be clickable, but they aren't.

The square to the right with the seat number inside it is supposed to be clickable and send you to the seat map.
As shown in this post http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28037450-post385.html

Finnair MMB is sometimes a lottery to get to work

Last edited by intuition; May 25, 2017 at 12:24 pm
Old May 25, 2017, 12:39 pm

The square to the right with the seat number inside it is supposed to be clickable and send you to the seat map.
As shown in this post http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28037450-post385.html

Hmm, as we thought. Guess we'll have to try again later. Thanks for the answer.

[url]Finnair MMB is sometimes a lottery to get to work
Indeed, we can't even get into the "special seats" screen now - a "generic error" occurs.
Old May 31, 2017, 4:34 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Plat benefit where you buy J ticket and can upgrade up to 3 family members from Y to J for 50000p r/t:

1) I assume that normal upgrade availability rules apply, so there needs to be free F bucket for the upgraded flight?

2) Can I buy J ticket EUR-HEL-XXX-HEL-EUR and the rest can buy only HEL-XXX-HEL?

3) Can I use Plat vouchers (1 voucher for 50k points) instead of points for these as well?
Old May 31, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: Finnair Plus Platinum
Hi,

AA related question from an Finnair Platinum customer. So, we are all annoyed how we cannot use Finnair points to get upgrades on AA flights. I hate that.

Recently, when I flew AA from CDG to DFW (Dallas), the AA app offered me an upgrade to business class at 500 USD, which I of course said yes to.

That's the only time I've gotten that offer though! I fly about a dozen times to US in a year.

I'm curious if others get it more often? What is your experience? Are the offers tied in any way to one's OneWorld status?

I mostly fly JFK-LAX and that is always packed so there's no way for an upgrade so I'm not surprised I dont get an offer through the AA app, but I'm curious what other people's experiences have been?
Old May 31, 2017, 5:51 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by Furry
Plat benefit where you buy J ticket and can upgrade up to 3 family members from Y to J for 50000p r/t:

1) I assume that normal upgrade availability rules apply, so there needs to be free F bucket for the upgraded flight?

2) Can I buy J ticket EUR-HEL-XXX-HEL-EUR and the rest can buy only HEL-XXX-HEL?

3) Can I use Plat vouchers (1 voucher for 50k points) instead of points for these as well?
1. yes. If no F avilable, upgrades can be waitlisted. They may release more F to cover waitlisted seats, but that is not guaranteed (or even official)
2. yes (no personal experience, but it has been reported on FT) You need to be on the same flights, but tickets does not need to be identical
3. No. You can use vouchers but there will not be a family discount, ie 2 LH vouchers needed for a return.
Old May 31, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
2. yes (no personal experience, but it has been reported on FT) You need to be on the same flights, but tickets does not need to be identical
I can confirm that I have been successful in upgrading family members HEL-BBB-HEL, when my own I-tix was AAA-HEL-BBB-HEL-AAA. No questions asked.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: AY+ Silver
On my upcoming HND->JL code (Y)->KIX->AY code (J)->HEL route as AY Gold member according to this I should have access to two KIX loungues:
1) Japan Airlines Sakura Lounge - Wing
2) Lounge Pacific

As I have time for one only which one you recommend?

btw. the second option is slightly confusing. Oneworld website suggest that I have access to CX Lounge Pacific Lounge, but Finnair page clearly states only Asuka Lounge.

Last edited by muhv; Jun 1, 2017 at 2:48 am
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:09 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by muhv

btw. the second option is slightly confusing. Oneworld website suggest that I have access to CX Lounge Pacific Lounge, but Finnair page clearly states only Asuka Lounge.
Finnair always only suggests the lounge of their choice, not the OW options. They will issue an invite to Asuka and as far as they are concerned that is that.
You can always access lounges according to oneworld rules but will not get an invite. Most lounge attendants are familiar with OW rules with the major exception of BA operated lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.