Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Premium Lounge in non-Schengen area [now closed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2016, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
This lounge is now closed and replaced by the Finnair Premium Wing.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1973050-ay-platinum-wing-now-open.html

Print Wikipost

Finnair Premium Lounge in non-Schengen area [now closed]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
What is the policy for AY+ Golds, on a codeshare flight? E.g. would a Gold member get to access the premium lounge if (s)he flies to JFK using AY metal, but on a ticket issued by & marketed by AA?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
What is the policy for AY+ Golds, on a codeshare flight? E.g. would a Gold member get to access the premium lounge if (s)he flies to JFK using AY metal, but on a ticket issued by & marketed by AA?
Don't know, but if it would be an issue, it would be quite ironic since AY makes the same money from a codeshare with AA as without due to the AA/BA/AY TATL JV revenue sharing agreement.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:21 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
We have a nice wiki on top of this thread that answers that!

I added this info earlier today, and an AY gold is said to have access to lounges at HEL (and so premium lounge in this case) on codeshares regardless of operating airline. But an AA marketed flight does not give premium lounge access - it is only open for AY marketed flights, regardless of your status.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by intuition

I added this info earlier today, and an AY gold is said to have access to lounges at HEL (and so premium lounge in this case) on codeshares regardless of operating airline. But an AA marketed flight does not give premium lounge access - it is only open for AY marketed flights, regardless of your status.
On this page , it says the following under the Premium lounge info:

According to that there is no need to have an AY marketed flight.
    Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:24 pm
    Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
    Relaxing here now. One of my top favourite lounges. Relax Area is just amazing. Food and drinks perfect. Staff ever so friendly.

OWE BA traveling Y with AY HEL to SIN,
    Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
    Originally Posted by deboyzoned
    Relaxing here now. One of my top favourite lounges. Relax Area is just amazing. Food and drinks perfect. Staff ever so friendly.

I'm glad you're enjoying the lounge!
    Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
    Originally Posted by deboyzoned

I'm happy for you, too, but at the same time I can't help wondering what there is to like about the AY lounges.

They are very small, they often feel crowded and cramped, you'll need to queue for the toilets, the food offerings are very limited.

Of the OW hub J lounges I've visited (BA LHR T5, CX HKG, QF SYD, LA SCL, AA FL JFK), AY has by far the smallest, most crowded lounges and offers the least food items, even in their Premium lounge. Maybe the Schengen lounge at MAD has even worse food than AY, but at least it's a lot bigger.

It's especially annoying that they've removed the late night buffet when, at the same time, they only offer limited catering on midnight flights.

For an airline that wants to see itself as an airbridge between two continents and a multiple of timezones, with pax all living in different time zones and few of them adhering to HEL time, they should serve at least a modest array of hot food items any time of day.
    Old Jul 30, 2017, 3:06 pm
    Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
    Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
    On this page , it says the ...

According to that there is no need to have an AY marketed flight.
    There is clearly conflicting information published.
    On this page it says
    Lounge access is free of charge for:
    Finnair Plus Platinum and Gold members flying on scheduled flights marketed by Finnair and operated by oneworld partners
    Codeshare flights:
    at Helsinki Airport: Finnair Plus Platinum and Gold members may use the lounge when traveling on any Finnair (AY) marketed flight
    I read this as
    A codeshare marketed by AY and operated by OW member allows normal lounge access by tier at Finnair lounges
    A codeshare marketed by AY and operated by non-OW-member allows lounge access at HEL lounges (and a few other select airports) but only to Finnair platinum and gold status
    A codeshare not marketed by Finnair does not allow access to any Finnair lounge

If the section you are linking to is correct, then Finnair offers better lounge access to non-Finnair emeralds than their own. That would be an interesting concept of building brand loyalty.

Last edited by intuition; Jul 30, 2017 at 3:11 pm
    Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
    Originally Posted by ffay005
    Of the OW hub J lounges I've visited (BA LHR T5, CX HKG, QF SYD, LA SCL, AA FL JFK), AY has by far the smallest, most crowded lounges and offers the least food items, even in their Premium lounge. Maybe the Schengen lounge at MAD has even worse food than AY, but at least it's a lot bigger.
    So true! Not to mention the outstations... AY lounges at several outstations are just truly bad.

Even more disturbing is that Plats and Golds have to find out themselves where the OW lounges are located. In places like Beijing, Hong Kong, Brussels... - and even London Heathrow the boarding pass would just send you to the crappy AY contract lounge, with no mention of the (much better) OW First Class or Business Class lounges. The reason must be that AY does not want to pay for these visits.
    Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:45 am

Thanks intuition, I did see that, but the information we have here in the wiki was conflicting with what AY used to have on their site as the rule for the lounge addmittance.

They used to have the following sentence everywhere: "Finnair Plus Platinum and Gold members flying on scheduled flights marketed by Finnair and operated by oneworld partners". This to my reading would mean that the "Finnair rules" (i.e. access to platinum lounge for AY+ Plat & Gold) only apply if you are flying AY marketed ticket, while "Oneworld rules" (access to premium side only for OWE) kick in, in the case of the flight marketed by another OW airline.
    Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:11 am
    Moderator, Finnair

..This to my reading would mean that the "Finnair rules" (i.e. access to platinum lounge for AY+ Plat & Gold) only apply if you are flying AY marketed ticket, while "Oneworld rules" (access to premium side only for OWE) kick in, in the case of the flight marketed by another OW airline.
    Might very well be so!

I did my interpretation from the new texts on AY.com and from memory of posts saying they've been declined AY premium lounge on non-AY marketed flights. But I have no personal experience so I am not authoritative on the matter!
    Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
    I did my interpretation from ... memory of posts saying they've been declined AY premium lounge on non-AY marketed flights.
    I fly fairly regularly HEL-LHR in Y on BA metal with BA-marketed tix. I (BA OWE) have never been refused the premium lounge.
    Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by henry999
    I fly fairly regularly HEL-LHR in Y on BA metal with BA-marketed tix. I (BA OWE) have never been refused the premium lounge.
    Yep, that part is pretty clear for us. But the initial question was if AY+ Gold (OWS) would have access to it, when e.g. flying on a BA ticket. As normally OWS does not grant you access to the premium lounge, except AY+ Gold.
    Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:54 am
    Moderator, Finnair

I have reverted the wiki to original state. Anyone with new information is of course free to add it!
    Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
    Originally Posted by lento
    Have the rules now changed for OW Sapphires ? I am not sure if it was official policy but OWS+1 used to have access during off-peak hours.
    As a OWS (BA Silver) I have never been refused entry to Premium Lounge, flying both AY and BA. Most often I have taken the morning BA795 in J, but have also taken the same flight in Y, and also AY J both to LHR and Asia. Just lucky, or friendly dragons?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.