Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Premium Lounge in non-Schengen area [now closed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2016, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
This lounge is now closed and replaced by the Finnair Premium Wing.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1973050-ay-platinum-wing-now-open.html

Print Wikipost

Finnair Premium Lounge in non-Schengen area [now closed]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by aysoo
Yes
So an AY Silver member or C passenger without status can sneak in to the Premium lounge thru the sauna?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
So an AY Silver member or C passenger without status can sneak in to the Premium lounge thru the sauna?
Yes, but foreigners won't go into the sauna and Finns won't go outside the box.

Last edited by heatsink; Mar 30, 2016 at 11:07 am
Old Mar 30, 2016, 11:03 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Easily. No need to even go to sauna, they only need to make their way to the shower section, which also acts as toilets.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by intuition
If it is so effective, I will start walking around in the premium lounge without a towel.
New unofficial platinum perk?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
You are only allowed to go to Schengen with a valid boarding pass, the airline issued the visa or allowance for travel outside schengen
I do not understand the semantic meaning of this sentence.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
Originally Posted by FFlash
BTW now that Silvers are out, the J side lounge will remain rather empty I guess - then would it be any stupid idea to get your food&drink and carry them over to J side to enjoy the tranquility?
If you go to the lounge at 430pm you'll find most of the guests look like they are heading for asia and I doubt they have finnair plus cards. So what will change around that time of the day?

it would be better if premium lounge = OWE, business lounge = OWS + J pax.

A lot of the time I get some food in the premium side then over to the J side for a bit more peace and quiet since it's bigger and feels less crowded.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
Originally Posted by secutor
I still feel that business class passengers should be allowed access.
have you counted up how many business seats there are departing from HEL in the afternoon from the non-schengen side? assuming the "premium" side was open to all business class pax (no economy pax admitted even with OWE) then the premium lounge would be filled about 2x over. Add in the OWE's in economy and there wouldn't even be standing room in the premium side.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by warakorn
Finnish border guard has a weird interpretation of the law. They do not accept EU ID cards, when leaving Finland.
They sure as hell do accept them. I've used mine too many times to remember. As a matter of facts, I don't even take my passport if I am not leaving Europe.

They often want to see a passport and visa for the next country. This is actually a violation of EU rules.
It would be but they don't do that.

Finnish banks are known to do more-or-less that: insists on passports instead of EU cards, and at least one of them was found guilty of some sort of discrimination.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by esledo
It's open all night long.
I can confirm this since I arrived 1:45 am on Tuesday morning from LHR at gate 37. While the (late) arrival in itself would hardly qualify as evidence, there were also some Asian pax sleeping on the seats in the non-Schengen area at that time. They wouldn't have been there had they closed the non-Schengen area. All shops and services were closed, though.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by skba1
Statement 2 - Kind of...

Up until 1/july/2015 it was impossible for Swedes to leave the Schengen border in Sweden if not carrying a Swedish passport. I.e. A Swede could not travel on national ID card ARN-LHR, but e.g. a German could!
Didn't this have something to do with the fact that Sweden did not have national ID cards issued by the state? The cards were issued by (private) banks etc and thus did not qualify as travel documents.

The Finnish national ID most certainly is a valid travel document to all EU countries, including those that are not members of the Schengen agreement. Moreover, some non-EU countries have decided to accept them as travel documents as well, including many Balkan countries.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:49 pm

My assumption that the lounge dragons are making up the rules.
Don't know about this particular case, but the set reply to "But I've done this several times before and it was never a problem" is always "The rules have just recently changed".

I wonder if airlines train their personnel to simply lie to passengers to get rid of them, or if it's just a service industry habit.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:57 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Originally Posted by ffay005
Didn't this have something to do with the fact that Sweden did not have national ID cards issued by the state? The cards were issued by (private) banks etc and thus did not qualify as travel documents.

The Finnish national ID most certainly is a valid travel document to all EU countries, including those that are not members of the Schengen agreement. Moreover, some non-EU countries have decided to accept them as travel documents as well, including many Balkan countries.
The issuing body has been the Police for many years now (I think 1 OCT 2005). It used to be banks, the post and one more body, but that was discontinued when National ID cards were introduced. Previous versions were always just called ID cards.

Today National ID cards are issued by the Police, and "ID cards" issued to foreign nationals residing in Sweden, but those are issued by Skatteverket (Tax Authority/Inland Revenue). You cannot get an ID card issued by Skatteverket if you are a Swedish citizen anymore.

So between 2005 and 2015 there was no real legitimate reason why a Swede with a national ID card should not be able to leave the Schengen border in Sweden with a National ID card going to a destination where that would be accepted upon entry.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 11:07 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Smile

Yeah, I always thought it was something like that causing it but didn't look into the details. And since I didn't have any reason to go to/via UK for a while I didn't realise it had changed.
No, if you aren't traveling much to UK it would be a change that you most likely would never notice!

I lived in the UK for several years when this was still in practice, and got caught out twice (once by my fault, once by a delayed flight that meant I had no time to pick up my passport at home) at ARN having to get pink passports!

Usually I flew via CPH on SK (think of those extra points!), and could use the ID card, but then once I forgot I was flying direct and had my passport lying in the UK when getting to check in at ARN for ARN-LHR...

Anyway, I am very happy they got their things together and updated that outdated 1974 passport act.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:55 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by heatsink
This is very distracting.
Originally Posted by reflektia
I never use towel. Maybe that's why they usually turn around at door
Originally Posted by heatsink
You don't use a towel even in the break room? You're braver than I am

(Obviously I don't wear a towel in the sauna, though.)
If it is so effective, I will start walking around in the premium lounge without a towel.
Heyhey, now guys, you made my morning coffee in the wrong throat, cough

What a good idea to free up some space in the premium lounge, please report back intuition how it went!
Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:12 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Originally Posted by FFlash
Heyhey, now guys, you made my morning coffee in the wrong throat, cough

What a good idea to free up some space in the premium lounge, please report back intuition how it went!
If this happens we propably can read it in Iltasanomat first

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.