Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Premium Lounge in non-Schengen area [now closed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2016, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
This lounge is now closed and replaced by the Finnair Premium Wing.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1973050-ay-platinum-wing-now-open.html

Print Wikipost

Finnair Premium Lounge in non-Schengen area [now closed]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:51 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by aama
UK & Ireland are in the EU but not in the Schengen, that's very simple.

EU ID card is not valid travel document outside EU/Schengen that's also very simple.
Statement 1 - Correct
Statement 2 - Incorrect => Any EU citizen w/ a valid EU ID card can travel to ANY of the EU member states, regardless if they are part of the Schengen agreement, or not.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 5:03 am

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Statement 1 - Correct
Statement 2 - Incorrect => Any EU citizen w/ a valid EU ID card can travel to ANY of the EU member states, regardless if they are part of the Schengen agreement, or not.
You're right, my bad.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 5:08 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I think we've been down this road before.
The right to travel on ID alone outside schengen is not a "global" right. For instance, Swedish citizens are not allowed to exit sweden to UK on a ID alone. IIRC, someone said that Finns are, since they have a legal right to re-enter Finland even without carrying any ID.

Facts of life, there will be differences in how the memberstates apply the regulations. If that is a "violation of freedom of movement" I guess anyone having the energy can start a legal process. I guess we won't find a commong ground discussing it on a board.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 5:09 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Statement 1 - Correct
Statement 2 - Kind of...

Up until 1/july/2015 it was impossible for Swedes to leave the Schengen border in Sweden if not carrying a Swedish passport. I.e. A Swede could not travel on national ID card ARN-LHR, but e.g. a German could!

This has now been changed, but I believe your statement is only true for nationals of another EU country. The 'home' country can have different laws. In the Swedish case it was a 1974 passport act that was still in force and ID cards were not available back then, and nobody updated the law until 2015.

I am not sure if there are any other EUR countries left with ancient rules though!
Old Mar 30, 2016, 5:12 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Intuition - that was updated last summer and now works fine. Used it a few days into the new law and the border officer commented on me being the first to use it with him.

I used to live in the UK and always flew via CPH when I didn't have my passport with me to avoid issues...
Old Mar 30, 2016, 5:14 am

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
Originally Posted by intuition
I think we've been down this road before.
The right to travel on ID alone outside schengen is not a "global" right. For instance, Swedish citizens are not allowed to exit sweden to UK on a ID alone. IIRC, someone said that Finns are, since they have a legal right to re-enter Finland even without carrying any ID.

Facts of life, there will be differences in how the memberstates apply the regulations. If that is a "violation of freedom of movement" I guess anyone having the energy can start a legal process. I guess we won't find a commong ground discussing it on a board.
That's so true. And FWIW I always travel with my passport. It's not that heavy
Old Mar 30, 2016, 5:17 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
... For instance, Swedish citizens are not allowed to exit sweden to UK on a ID alone. ...
Let me just backpaddle on that one, since Swedish authorities altered policy july 1 2015. They now allow travel to any EU-country on ID-card.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by skba1
Statement 2 - Kind of...

Up until 1/july/2015 it was impossible for Swedes to leave the Schengen border in Sweden if not carrying a Swedish passport. I.e. A Swede could not travel on national ID card ARN-LHR, but e.g. a German could!

This has now been changed, but I believe your statement is only true for nationals of another EU country. The 'home' country can have different laws. In the Swedish case it was a 1974 passport act that was still in force and ID cards were not available back then, and nobody updated the law until 2015.

I am not sure if there are any other EUR countries left with ancient rules though!
Wow... OK, just learned something new.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 5:29 am

You do realise that your suggestion means that there will be no-one going to the 900 sqm, 250 seat Finnair business class lounge next door?

Business class flyers, Platinums, Golds, Emeralds and Sapphires are (soon) the only ones allowed into the lounges, and you are suggesting that all are packed into the 400 sqm "premium" lounge that has a 122 people maximum?

Or did you mean that only business class pax were to go to premium and status holders were to go to business class lounge?
Indeed, you are right. I think I can appreciate the situation better now.

I was mainly surprised to see OWS allowed access to a premium lounge, even AY+ Gold for that matter (although that can be viewed as a special AY+ perk!)

But since one of the reasons seemed to be to ease the overcrowding of the business lounge, I can understand their thinking.

Now with AY+ Silver excluded from access soon, the situation should improve further.

Although I still feel that a business class passenger paying full fare should be allowed access to the best lounge, especially when a OWS traveling in Y is accepted!

Last edited by secutor; Mar 30, 2016 at 6:21 am
Old Mar 30, 2016, 5:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I do not get your point. What do you want to say?

UK & Ireland are in the EU but not in the Schengen, that's very simple.

EU ID card is not valid travel document outside EU/Schengen that's also very simple.
German ID card is perfectly acceptable to enter the UK or Eire.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 5:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
Finnish border guard has a weird interpretation of the law.
They do not accept EU ID cards, when leaving Finland. They often want to see a passport and visa for the next country.
This is actually a violation of EU rules.
I don't have trouble with my Finnish ID card when travelling to the UK.
I stand by my statement.
Try to pass the Finnish border exit control checkpoint (on Finnish soil) with a valid German ID card at the border stations at Imatra, Nuijamaa, Vainikkala, and Vaalimaa.
The Finnish border guard is going to allow you to pass!!! That is a fact - and clear violation of EU rules.

Moreover:
At Salla and Lotta-Raja-Jooseppi border crossing points -> EU citizens without a Finnish passport are not allowed to exit Finland there.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 5:48 am
Suspended

In my eyes the Finnish border guard service violates the freedom of movement clauses of the EU.
The UK is (still) part of the EU. Hence, as EU citizen I can cross between Finland and the UK as often as I wish. I am not a threat to national service.
So why the Finnish border guard service thinks it can restrict freedom of movement?
I believe most of you do not understand the point I am trying to make.

Example (its weird, but possible):

I purchase a ticket on AY from HEL to FRA. Lets say I am an OWS.
After passing security and strolling through the airside Schengen departure area, I want to access the Finnair lounge on the non-Schengen departure area.
I pass through the automated passport checkpoints. While walking through the non-Schengen departure area to get to the lounge I get a call from my boss. He tells me that due to some urgent stuff I need to fly to LHR as soon as possible. I should abandon my trip to FRA.
My company buys me a walk up fare on AY. I receive the boarding pass on my cell phone. 2 hours later I board my flight to LHR.

The Finnish border guard service wants to tell me that I stayed illegally in the non-schengen zone between entering it and my company buying me a new ticket? Based on what law?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
I stand by my statement.
Try to pass the Finnish border exit control checkpoint (on Finnish soil) with a valid German ID card at the border stations at Imatra, Nuijamaa, Vainikkala, and Vaalimaa.
The Finnish border guard is going to allow you to pass!!! That is a fact - and clear violation of EU rules.
But the Russians will not allow you into Russia w/o a passport & a valid Russian visa, so that is your problem at the end, not the fact that you can leave Finland w/o a passport.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 5:51 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by skba1
Statement 2 - Kind of...
The 'home' country can have different laws. In the Swedish case it was a 1974 passport act that was still in force
Yeah, I always thought it was something like that causing it but didn't look into the details. And since I didn't have any reason to go to/via UK for a while I didn't realise it had changed.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 6:07 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Just so ya'll know, this thread has gone WAY off topic..

I was checking the latest Lounge Access rules for this lounge on the OW site, and was a little surprised by the wording:

Notes: This lounge is exclusively for oneworld Emerald and Sapphire card holders and their guests. Finnish Sauna is hot and available all day long.

If this is the case, why would any OWS ever choose to go to the "regular" Non-Schengen Finnair "Business" Lounge?

I thought there was some special allowance for AY Golds, but not all OWSs..

Last edited by teemuflyer; Mar 30, 2016 at 6:12 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.