Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY Schengen lounge at HEL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2022, 7:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ed Size
And they will fly AY even if they could not bring the whole family into the lounge once they are going on vacation. Because they don t decide which airline to take, thats a decision the company do for them.
Not necessarily. Depends on the company. But even if they are compelled to fly AY for work, tickets for families are expensive.

Serious question: Would anyone actually change their travel plans to visit this lounge? And by travel plans I am including arrival time at the airport.

Plat wing I can still understand..

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 25, 2022 at 4:08 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:05 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by mpkz
Serious question: Would anyone actually change their travel plans to visit this lounge? And by travel plans I am including arrival time at the airport.
Yes, to ensure no extra time at the airport at all…
ffay005 and remymartin like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Plat AMB, HH Diamond, Delta Silver, Finnair Plat

Plat wing I can still understand..
I always try to build some lounge time in to my airport trip just because I hate missing a flight or even letting it get close. Due to crowding, I usually just go to the Aspire instead of this one though I will say the one benefit this one has is the long drinks on tap. It's just not worth the line that has been there the past few months.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 4:30 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Not necessarily. Depends on the company. But even if they are compelled to fly AY for work, tickets for families are expensive.
Y tickets for the family are not expensive, they are a lot of money but no big profit (if even) for AY. If you calculating the costs of the lounge for five it most probably will be a minus for AY:

Helsinkii Rhodos is less then 300€/person how big is the profit for AY if 5 persons using the lounge for 2 hours? Its over 5000KM distance. an air plane will use something between 3.5 L - 5L per 100KM so per person it will be more then175L at least plus leasing rates and man power - WOW what a big profit if anyone consuming 20€+ in the lounge.

You are not familiar with a calculator.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:14 am

Programs: *G, AY Plat Lumo
Does anyone know the opening times anymore? Schengen lounge closed yesterday at 2130 "due to summer schedules" but the website and CS says it's open until 2330. I'm confused.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:23 am
Suspended

Y tickets for the family are not expensive, they are a lot of money but no big profit (if even) for AY. If you calculating the costs of the lounge for five it most probably will be a minus for AY:

Helsinkii Rhodos is less then 300€/person how big is the profit for AY if 5 persons using the lounge for 2 hours? Its over 5000KM distance. an air plane will use something between 3.5 L - 5L per 100KM so per person it will be more then175L at least plus leasing rates and man power - WOW what a big profit if anyone consuming 20€+ in the lounge.

You are not familiar with a calculator.
Yeah, except those 3 kids do not consume the most expensive items in the lounge (alcohol), they do not weigh as much as an adult passenger and they are also higher yielding per kilometer than the average seat: 300/5000 = 0.06 which was about the same as Finnair's entire revenue(inc. cargo, ancillary etc.) divided by ASK in 2019 (which was about 3.1/48000 = 0.065)

If you think a 300e/person round trip is a bad price for Finnair then you must REALLY believe in the value of business travelers because not many passengers are paying more than that..

Of course I may not be familiar with a calculator, but a little bit of common sense gets me 90% of the way there.
Helsinki Flyer and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 7:45 am

Yeah, except those 3 kids do not consume the most expensive items in the lounge (alcohol), they do not weigh as much as an adult passenger and they are also higher yielding per kilometer than the average seat: 300/5000 = 0.06 which was about the same as Finnair's entire revenue(inc. cargo, ancillary etc.) divided by ASK in 2019 (which was about 3.1/48000 = 0.065)

If you think a 300e/person round trip is a bad price for Finnair then you must REALLY believe in the value of business travelers because not many passengers are paying more than that..

Of course I may not be familiar with a calculator, but a little bit of common sense gets me 90% of the way there.
You are way not familar with the calculator, alcohol is not the most expensive thing you consume in a lounge (unless you are a drunkhead) it s space. Ans if you believe AY is doing it s business on tickets mostly prices below 300€ then you never bought a AY ticket out of your own pocket.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 7:57 am

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
WOW what a big profit if anyone consuming 20€+ in the lounge.
Even as a grown up thirsty adult I'd struggle to consume more than 20€ worth at the Schengen lounge in a reasonable timeframe.
r2d2 and Helsinki Flyer like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:58 am
Suspended

You are way not familar with the calculator, alcohol is not the most expensive thing you consume in a lounge (unless you are a drunkhead) it s space. Ans if you believe AY is doing it s business on tickets mostly prices below 300€ then you never bought a AY ticket out of your own pocket.
Okay, let's leave aside the fact that space is a fixed cost for Finnair as opposed to a marginal cost per passenger, let's forget the fact that kids are small and sit with their parents in a relatively space-efficient way that only really affects other people when the lounge is full / nearly full anyway..

I just gave you the total revenue of Finnair in 2019, it's 3100 million euros. This includes ancillary fees, cargo, everything. Passenger revenue is 2500 million. I gave you the ASK for Finnair in 2019, it's 48000 million km. You can already tell from this that the family paying 300e per seat for 5000km brings more revenue than the average seat KM Finnair sells. Or you could just click "Explore" on Google Flights for some random dates in a month or two (despite this summer being exceptionally expensive for air travel) and see that clearly, 300e roundtrips are not exceptionally cheap.

But hey, maybe "I have never bought an AY ticket out of pocket"

Now of course there is a small chance you might have been talking about the pareto principle here with a small portion of tickets accounting for the bulk of the profit, and you'd be right - it's the corporate tickets that family's dad has to buy for work. But it does not discount the value of having loyalty for flights as well.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by strx
Does anyone know the opening times anymore? Schengen lounge closed yesterday at 2130 "due to summer schedules" but the website and CS says it's open until 2330. I'm confused.
The schedule might be something like "our contractor doesn't have enough staff and doesn't want to pay for overtime, so we close when we please".

A little piece of Africa in Finland: The AY lounge and its flexible opening hours.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 10:39 pm

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
Originally Posted by strx
Old Jul 6, 2022, 1:09 am

Okay, let's leave aside the fact that space is a fixed cost for Finnair as opposed to a marginal cost per passenger, let's forget the fact that kids are small and sit with their parents in a relatively space-efficient way that only really affects other people when the lounge is full / nearly full anyway..

I just gave you the total revenue of Finnair in 2019, it's 3100 million euros. This includes ancillary fees, cargo, everything. Passenger revenue is 2500 million. I gave you the ASK for Finnair in 2019, it's 48000 million km. You can already tell from this that the family paying 300e per seat for 5000km brings more revenue than the average seat KM Finnair sells. Or you could just click "Explore" on Google Flights for some random dates in a month or two (despite this summer being exceptionally expensive for air travel) and see that clearly, 300e roundtrips are not exceptionally cheap.

But hey, maybe "I have never bought an AY ticket out of pocket"

Now of course there is a small chance you might have been talking about the pareto principle here with a small portion of tickets accounting for the bulk of the profit, and you'd be right - it's the corporate tickets that family's dad has to buy for work. But it does not discount the value of having loyalty for flights as well.
You live in a parallel world, kids taking a seat each single one, they are not sitting on the laps of the parents, And 300€ are not a good price for AY for a 5000km trip. If you believe both of it then your position makes sense. I m talking about people who have to cue because of the families while holding a 2000€ ticket. And if you see prices on AY even the 2000€ ticket ist cheap for a long haul J ticket - and yes also these guys need to stand in line, while the family of five is blocking five seats with their 300€ or less tickets.

As said I m off, three more flights with AY and then I burn my points, spend about 20K in an average year on AY - but thats not worth it anymore. It took me eight months to become a *A Gold and and a Skytrax Gold while staying AY Plat. and I never wanted to fly something different then AY but they cancel flights, don t give you your money back, leveled the service in C to some decent Y service and let me cue for 30+ min while I just wanted to sit somewhere quiet. Next time I will take the 17€ voucher since then I don t need to hassle with all of the people.

It looks like airlines think people will just take all this bad service, but surprise I don t even need to fly anywhere. I understand that this is my personal thing but itīs just bad how AY handles the situation. But this is not for any interest since guys like you justify the bad service AY is delivering and book more flights with them. For me its just a crazy game, I don t want to be part of. I work in service industry ans would never deliver such a bad overall product to my customers. Maybe the Y product of AY is OK since FR lowered the standards to zero. But J with status is just bad at the moment.

Last edited by Ed Size; Jul 6, 2022 at 2:11 am
Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:17 am

But J with status is just bad at the moment.
Thereīs the problem with most airlines in EU and US. What I have read and experienced itīs not an easy problem to fix. Not enough workers, summer season, airlines not making money etc. ME3 operate in a totally different universe.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
Thereīs the problem with most airlines in EU and US. What I have read and experienced itīs not an easy problem to fix. Not enough workers, summer season, airlines not making money etc. ME3 operate in a totally different universe.
I just don t care and have a "not my problem" attitude if AY charges me 4000€ for a flight to BKK. If you can t deliver, don t sell.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 7:01 am
Suspended

You live in a parallel world, kids taking a seat each single one, they are not sitting on the laps of the parents, And 300€ are not a good price for AY for a 5000km trip. If you believe both of it then your position makes sense. I m talking about people who have to cue because of the families while holding a 2000€ ticket. And if you see prices on AY even the 2000€ ticket ist cheap for a long haul J ticket - and yes also these guys need to stand in line, while the family of five is blocking five seats with their 300€ or less tickets.
#1 long haul J will not be in the Schengen lounge where the lines are
#2 I already showed you that 300e for a 5000km trip is more than AY earns on average per kilometer
#3 I did not mean kids sit on the lap, I mean kids sit close to their parents which means their effect on crowding is only noticeable when the lounge is full

It looks like airlines think people will just take all this bad service, but surprise I don t even need to fly anywhere. I understand that this is my personal thing but itīs just bad how AY handles the situation. But this is not for any interest since guys like you justify the bad service AY is delivering and book more flights with them. For me its just a crazy game, I don t want to be part of. I work in service industry ans would never deliver such a bad overall product to my customers. Maybe the Y product of AY is OK since FR lowered the standards to zero. But J with status is just bad at the moment.
Okay, so don't fly AY. Problem solved. If you are so convinced that you are a more valuable customer than the traveling middle management of Finnish companies, find yourself an airline with lounges only for J pax and no guests like QR and fly them instead. But I don't know what you are talking about when you mention Star Alliance or SkyTeam status because AF, KL, LH, LX etc. all allow their elites to bring guests into the lounge and as an AFKL Plat I can tell you the Schengen lounge in AMS there is in much worse shape (in terms of crowding) than AY. My guess is that these airlines have done the math and also tend to consider business contracts valuable and offering private benefits to the people who fly under these contracts as a way to buy their loyalty, but I guess it's also possible that they're all wrong and you're right...

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 25, 2022 at 3:47 am Reason: Fixed quote tag

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.