Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY Schengen lounge at HEL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:00 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by mpkz
Sometimes it's really astounding how clueless about actual frequent flyers people on this forum seem to be. I'm quite sure that "lounge access and occasional upgrades for the family" is a pretty big driver of customer loyalty among a lot of Finnish corporate customers. Yeah, go ahead and nerf that because the lounge got crowded, see how well that business decision works out for you.

If you want a pure "paid J" lounge, fly with QR. I'm talking about the people here (which includes myself) who are looking to access the lounge as OWE / Plat / Lumo flying in Y or on an upgraded ticket. I'm a familyless flyer who is relatively price sensitive and I will hit Lumo this year because of 3x points, and I'd really like a less crowded lounge, but I also understand that I am worth a lot less to Finnair as a middle-manager at Kone flying his family of 5 out.
Do you really think that the manager will change his bookings once you change rules in the loyalty program? Most of them need to fly AY because thats the way to get to customers.

Anyhow, if it stays the way it is at the moment the people who are unpleasant with the actual situation will change their behavior, I definitely will, after 15years++ being a Platinum and only a few 100,000 points away from I have three more flights booked on AY, after this I will only burn my points and book AY if they are really giving the best deal.

Thats not because of the lounge but this is because AY just lowered so much in the overall product that I can t see why I should stay loyal

In no particular order

Crowded Lounge
Bad seats on longhaul, now you have the choice between bad and really bad
Food options on short haul and long haul are just not good anymore
Vouchers became lottery tickets
Awards are not available even if you are highly flexible with dates
They did not pay me back my 6000€, instead this became a voucher, only valid till 31st of August
The hotline is hard to reach, chat does not answer, and emails are answered well after the flights
And of course the price for J tickets are way too high for the product they deliver

So may the Kone manager and his family become happy in that lounge, but he never paid a single € out of his own pocket, he is just taking what the company gives him as he would drive a VW or a Tesla when the company decides, or stop flying and do anything on Zoom.

You may understand the people working for corporations, but they are not the ones bringing the profit, since corporate fares on AY pretty low. I traveled on one for years, I class XXX-HEL-BKK = 1200€, with I class could be booked on the day of the flight,
Old Jun 29, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
We are very much thinking about how to, in a better way, recognise the top, top-tier customers on our flights at every touchpoint,” Finnair’s Senior Vice President Strategy and Resource Management, Ville Iho, shares with Australian Business Traveller.
”At the moment we’re considering a separate area for Platinum members (within our lounges),” explains Minna Väätäinen, Finnair’s Manager of Passenger Services (Lounges), “but there are currently some issues with that.”“So if we cannot offer a special place, or a separate place, we want to do our best to have our customers enjoy their visit, and make themselves feel special in the lounge,” Väätäinen concludes.
https://www.executivetraveller.com/f...nt-flyer-tiers

This was in 2016, when Lumo was in the plans. What happened to these beautiful speeches? The result: Plats and Lumos on a Schengen bp are forced to queue with the Silvers and Golds in a queue that reaches even to the bottom of the stairs upto the lounge at gate 23. What happened to Minna's and Ville's ideas... cost-cutting, really?
Old Jun 29, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Well, there is a tensa barrier in the Schengen lounge, roping off some 20 seats for Lumos.
lkrt likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by ffay005
Well, there is a tensa barrier in the Schengen lounge, roping off some 20 seats for Lumos.
I’m surprised they finally managed to do this!
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Sustainable lounge allowance…yeah.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:36 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by florens
Leipäjono aka queue for free wheat/barley products.
r2d2, Helsinki Flyer and Ed Size like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:45 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by zxcv1
... The result: Plats and Lumos on a Schengen bp are forced to queue with the Silvers and Golds in a queue that reaches even to the bottom of the stairs upto the lounge at gate 23. What happened to Minna's and Ville's ideas... cost-cutting, really?
They created the secret handshake, also known as the gate 23AB-elevator, that takes you passed those pesky lines of riff-raff and straight to the loundge-entrance. You know, that is the true lumo-ride these days!
Old Jun 29, 2022, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by intuition
They created the secret handshake, also known as the gate 23AB-elevator, that takes you passed those pesky lines of riff-raff and straight to the loundge-entrance. You know, that is the true lumo-ride these days!
if you are modest you can always take the steps down to floor -1 so no one quieing can see doing the trick 😁.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ed Size
Do you really think that the manager will change his bookings once you change rules in the loyalty program? Most of them need to fly AY because thats the way to get to customers.

So may the Kone manager and his family become happy in that lounge, but he never paid a single € out of his own pocket, he is just taking what the company gives him as he would drive a VW or a Tesla when the company decides, or stop flying and do anything on Zoom.

You may understand the people working for corporations, but they are not the ones bringing the profit, since corporate fares on AY pretty low. I traveled on one for years, I class XXX-HEL-BKK = 1200€, with I class could be booked on the day of the flight,
As far as Finland-based pax are concerned, corporate customers (this includes gov't etc.) are the largest profit center for AY. Applies to almost all airlines. Price-insensitive and high-volume customers. There is no fixed "corporate" fare, sometimes you pay 1200 for I class, sometimes you pay 500 for HEL-OUL in Y.
SPBanker likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 1:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
Originally Posted by florens
Is there a specific time of day/week when this might occur during July? I have a Monday afternoon flight coming up and would like to avoid ending up being one of these guys.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:41 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Alec84
Is there a specific time of day/week when this might occur during July? I have a Monday afternoon flight coming up and would like to avoid ending up being one of these guys.
It can happen in two periods per day: before the morning wave and before the afternoon wave. Highly predictable.

And least for me I can say that I made it by plane and bus from TKU just before the queue into the lounge.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:08 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jainzar
It can happen in two periods per day: before the morning wave and before the afternoon wave. Highly predictable.

And least for me I can say that I made it by plane and bus from TKU just before the queue into the lounge.
I always thought the bus from TKU would arrive at the worst possible time, at 3 sharp. Isn't the worst time from 3 - 4 pm? After 4 it's already back to empty.

Is the ridiculous queue now a daily thing?

If the Schengen lounge experience is important, and you're travelling in the afternoon wave, I'd arrive at the airport latest at 1 pm, find a good seat in the empty lounge, and then sit back, relax, and observe how in a few hours every single seat will be taken.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:28 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by mpkz
As far as Finland-based pax are concerned, corporate customers (this includes gov't etc.) are the largest profit center for AY. Applies to almost all airlines. Price-insensitive and high-volume customers. There is no fixed "corporate" fare, sometimes you pay 1200 for I class, sometimes you pay 500 for HEL-OUL in Y.
And they will fly AY even if they could not bring the whole family into the lounge once they are going on vacation. Because they don t decide which airline to take, thats a decision the company do for them.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by zxcv1
Is the ridiculous queue now a daily thing?
On Friday I was traveling during the afternoon wave and had prepared not to fit into the lounge. I arrived around 3 PM, walked to the priority security without a queue and entered the lounge through the automated gate again without queueing. Inside it was quite full though, but there were empty seats.

The biggest issue was that when leaving the lounge, out of habit I started walking the old route to high-numbered Schengen gates, only to end up in a dead end at the tax free. The current route goes through the old departures hall.

Last edited by r2d2; Jul 4, 2022 at 6:37 am
Old Jul 4, 2022, 7:07 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SQ*G, QR Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Alec84
I went there last Wednesday afternoon (~2PM) and there was no queue though there were only a few seats left. I also went to check the lounge today afternoon (~3PM) but the gate was blocked and the dragon said it was full already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.