Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY Schengen lounge at HEL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:30 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Wouldn't the right thing to do be to open up a separate Plat/Lumo/OWE lounge on the Schengen side, too? Perhaps no à la carte dining, but a peaceful place with something decent to eat. Would there be room for such an addition in the expanded T2?

Leave the kindergarten to Golds and those who pay for entry.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zxcv1
So it's more important to serve non-Schengen flying OWE for whom HEL is just an outstation, than AY's very own Schengen-flying Plats/Lumos at their very own hub and base of operations... Instead these Plats/Lumos can queue 20 min to the kindergarten.

So much more important in fact that there are extra measures, bordering on the unconstitutional if not being outright so, being taken to prevent these Schengen Plats/Lumos even accidentally gaining access to the Plat Wing.
Denying lounge access is bordering on unconstitutional? Give me a break.

As much as I would like AY to have a larger Schengen lounge, going down the "who is a more valuable customer"-route can very quickly lead to some quite uncomfortable conclusions for FlyerTalkers who "game" the system (segment runners, people leveling up on 3x points promos etc.). I'm not going to DYKWIA myself ahead of some Gold person flying with his family, especially because it is very likely that the fare paid by that family is many times what I am paying on that particular flight.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 6:27 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by zxcv1
So it's more important to serve non-Schengen flying OWE for whom HEL is just an outstation, than AY's very own Schengen-flying Plats/Lumos at their very own hub and base of operations... .
Of course it is.

Finnair is (used to be) a national airline operating far more flights than it could ever have done without the connecting passengers.

There would not be much of a schengen network for "AY's very own Schengen-flying Plats/Lumos" if it wasn't for connecting passengers using HEL as a hub. (an outstation is the outer endpoint, like ChongQing et.al.)

What the future holds, who knows. Perhaps AY will scale down and you'll get the sustainable sized airline without those pesky longhaul connecting passengers, and a route network focused on the one daily to FRA that domestic demand can sustain...
Old Jun 28, 2022, 6:39 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Stopped by the schengen lounge, what a zoo. No queue per se, but the prior group of 3 got turned away with ”we are completely full” ä. I got in with ”may I at least use the toilet?” which was granted.

As I’m feeling a little moody, the next question might have been ”so Lumo not even allowed to come take a .... nowadays?” Luckily didn’t have to go there
Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by intuition
Of course it is.
Sure, and I fully agree with you. But at least while we still have a Plat Wing, ultimately sustained by the connecting OWEs, why not open its gates to AY's own Plats/Lumos as well irrespective of Schengen/non-Schengen.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 9:21 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
What is the reason for this madness? Extended status periods and covid or what? The lounge is a complete joke now.
Helsinki Flyer likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:32 am

Probably a combination of many things.
- AY is even more wave-oriented than pre-covid, midday flights have been scaled back so "all flights" now leave either 8 am or 4 pm
- Asian transfer pax missing, so more and more pax originate at HEL and have time to use the lounge as opposed to a quick change of planes with no time for lounge
- everyone and their mother suddenly decided that it's time to stop being afraid of covid and start flying
- add to this the extended status periods and different kind of campaigns to buy status one way or the other...
r2d2, Helsinki Flyer and florens like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 12:57 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by ffay005
- AY is even more wave-oriented than pre-covid, midday flights have been scaled back so "all flights" now leave either 8 am or 4 pm
I love that my regional flight at midnight is back. Really calm lounge around 11pm.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by mpkz
can very quickly lead to some quite uncomfortable conclusions for FlyerTalkers who "game" the system (segment runners, people leveling up on 3x points promos etc.). I'm not going to DYKWIA myself ahead of some Gold person flying with his family, especially because it is very likely that the fare paid by that family is many times what I am paying on that particular flight.
Sorry you really believe that a family of five all bought J tickets? I just have my own experience, I rarely see people I see in the lounge in J class later on board, even if they are on my flight. And if you take the late night flight to BKK it is easy to see who was in the lounge.

On my last two flights ex HEL J class had 4 seats, two of them occupied by my partner and me, but I easily could see 10 - 15 people on board of that plane who where in the lounge as well.

And really if AY won t give me no lounge access anymore because they think I m not spending enough money with them, fair enough there are other options.

But in reality I would say, skip the guests for anyone who is entitled to come to the lounge. Let only people in who are holding Gold or Platinum/Lumo status or a J ticket. Guest should always pay a fee, is it money or points - and all of the sudden there will be room in the lounge, I guarantee.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Everybody is excited about the sustainable food, so no wonder they bring friends and relatives along.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ed Size
Sorry you really believe that a family of five all bought J tickets? I just have my own experience, I rarely see people I see in the lounge in J class later on board, even if they are on my flight. And if you take the late night flight to BKK it is easy to see who was in the lounge.

On my last two flights ex HEL J class had 4 seats, two of them occupied by my partner and me, but I easily could see 10 - 15 people on board of that plane who where in the lounge as well.

And really if AY won t give me no lounge access anymore because they think I m not spending enough money with them, fair enough there are other options.

But in reality I would say, skip the guests for anyone who is entitled to come to the lounge. Let only people in who are holding Gold or Platinum/Lumo status or a J ticket. Guest should always pay a fee, is it money or points - and all of the sudden there will be room in the lounge, I guarantee.
Sometimes it's really astounding how clueless about actual frequent flyers people on this forum seem to be. I'm quite sure that "lounge access and occasional upgrades for the family" is a pretty big driver of customer loyalty among a lot of Finnish corporate customers. Yeah, go ahead and nerf that because the lounge got crowded, see how well that business decision works out for you.

If you want a pure "paid J" lounge, fly with QR. I'm talking about the people here (which includes myself) who are looking to access the lounge as OWE / Plat / Lumo flying in Y or on an upgraded ticket. I'm a familyless flyer who is relatively price sensitive and I will hit Lumo this year because of 3x points, and I'd really like a less crowded lounge, but I also understand that I am worth a lot less to Finnair as a middle-manager at Kone flying his family of 5 out.

Originally Posted by on22cz
Everybody is excited about the sustainable food, so no wonder they bring friends and relatives along.
I am a bit confused about how angry the people who think the lounge has turned to .... are about having to line up for the lounge. Kind of like people segment running for status complaining about ATR seats.

edit: I can offer an alternative to anyone who does not want to go to lounge. When arriving at the airport, buy yourself a nice boneless box from the new chicken wings place, buy yourself an IPA from Alepa (these can go through security now), enter the gate area via the priority line 10 minutes before announced boarding instead of 40.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jun 29, 2022 at 3:42 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:10 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
I am a bit confused about how angry the people who think the lounge has turned to .... are about having to line up for the lounge. Kind of like people segment running for status complaining about ATR seats.

edit: I can offer an alternative to anyone who does not want to go to lounge. When arriving at the airport, buy yourself a nice boneless box from the new chicken wings place, buy yourself an IPA from Alepa (these can go through security now), enter the gate area via the priority line 10 minutes before announced boarding instead of 40.
My alternative is Plaza Premium. No lines, excellent service, consistency. And they care about the Lumo card as much as AY does.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:10 pm

buy yourself an IPA from Alepa (these can go through security now)
I don't think the liquid rule changed as such, you just don't have to unpack them. But you still cannot take anything over 100 ml through security, right?
Ed Size likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ffay005
I don't think the liquid rule changed as such, you just don't have to unpack them. But you still cannot take anything over 100 ml through security, right?
No, you can now bring liquids > 100ml past security. Unadvertised change, but confirmed and very welcome. Also applies to AMS (and probably other Schengen CT-Scanner airports), which is where I found out about it by accident when my 1l bottle of water was let through.

In HEL the security guys confirmed it and I've been bringing stuff from Alepa the past few flights.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:43 pm

Programs: AY+ plat / SK EBG
Had an unusual layover at HEL yesterday evening. Lounge was actually closed due to exceptional circumstances since 21:30. Was directed to get a 17€ voucher at the transfer desk. Maybe they should use the same excuse and close the zoo in the mornings as well...
ffay005 and OH-LGG like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.