FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AY Schengen lounge at HEL
View Single Post
Old Jul 6, 2022, 1:09 am
Ed Size

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by mpkz
Okay, let's leave aside the fact that space is a fixed cost for Finnair as opposed to a marginal cost per passenger, let's forget the fact that kids are small and sit with their parents in a relatively space-efficient way that only really affects other people when the lounge is full / nearly full anyway..

I just gave you the total revenue of Finnair in 2019, it's 3100 million euros. This includes ancillary fees, cargo, everything. Passenger revenue is 2500 million. I gave you the ASK for Finnair in 2019, it's 48000 million km. You can already tell from this that the family paying 300e per seat for 5000km brings more revenue than the average seat KM Finnair sells. Or you could just click "Explore" on Google Flights for some random dates in a month or two (despite this summer being exceptionally expensive for air travel) and see that clearly, 300e roundtrips are not exceptionally cheap.

But hey, maybe "I have never bought an AY ticket out of pocket"

Now of course there is a small chance you might have been talking about the pareto principle here with a small portion of tickets accounting for the bulk of the profit, and you'd be right - it's the corporate tickets that family's dad has to buy for work. But it does not discount the value of having loyalty for flights as well.
You live in a parallel world, kids taking a seat each single one, they are not sitting on the laps of the parents, And 300€ are not a good price for AY for a 5000km trip. If you believe both of it then your position makes sense. I m talking about people who have to cue because of the families while holding a 2000€ ticket. And if you see prices on AY even the 2000€ ticket ist cheap for a long haul J ticket - and yes also these guys need to stand in line, while the family of five is blocking five seats with their 300€ or less tickets.

As said I m off, three more flights with AY and then I burn my points, spend about 20K in an average year on AY - but thats not worth it anymore. It took me eight months to become a *A Gold and and a Skytrax Gold while staying AY Plat. and I never wanted to fly something different then AY but they cancel flights, don t give you your money back, leveled the service in C to some decent Y service and let me cue for 30+ min while I just wanted to sit somewhere quiet. Next time I will take the 17€ voucher since then I don t need to hassle with all of the people.

It looks like airlines think people will just take all this bad service, but surprise I don t even need to fly anywhere. I understand that this is my personal thing but it΄s just bad how AY handles the situation. But this is not for any interest since guys like you justify the bad service AY is delivering and book more flights with them. For me its just a crazy game, I don t want to be part of. I work in service industry ans would never deliver such a bad overall product to my customers. Maybe the Y product of AY is OK since FR lowered the standards to zero. But J with status is just bad at the moment.

Last edited by Ed Size; Jul 6, 2022 at 2:11 am