FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AY Schengen lounge at HEL
View Single Post
Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:58 am
mpkz

Originally Posted by Ed Size
You are way not familar with the calculator, alcohol is not the most expensive thing you consume in a lounge (unless you are a drunkhead) it s space. Ans if you believe AY is doing it s business on tickets mostly prices below 300€ then you never bought a AY ticket out of your own pocket.
Okay, let's leave aside the fact that space is a fixed cost for Finnair as opposed to a marginal cost per passenger, let's forget the fact that kids are small and sit with their parents in a relatively space-efficient way that only really affects other people when the lounge is full / nearly full anyway..

I just gave you the total revenue of Finnair in 2019, it's 3100 million euros. This includes ancillary fees, cargo, everything. Passenger revenue is 2500 million. I gave you the ASK for Finnair in 2019, it's 48000 million km. You can already tell from this that the family paying 300e per seat for 5000km brings more revenue than the average seat KM Finnair sells. Or you could just click "Explore" on Google Flights for some random dates in a month or two (despite this summer being exceptionally expensive for air travel) and see that clearly, 300e roundtrips are not exceptionally cheap.

But hey, maybe "I have never bought an AY ticket out of pocket"

Now of course there is a small chance you might have been talking about the pareto principle here with a small portion of tickets accounting for the bulk of the profit, and you'd be right - it's the corporate tickets that family's dad has to buy for work. But it does not discount the value of having loyalty for flights as well.