Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates COVID test and other questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates COVID test and other questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2020, 2:06 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Another question as my trip gets closer. For visitors to Dubai, do they check if you have health insurance in the UAE at check in? I noticed that the health declaration form asks about this.

Do I need to get special travel health insurance or is my regular health insurance sufficient/do they even check?
Old Oct 14, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Just got back from Dubai

At DXB they didn't check from my travel health insurance for my return flight although it was a question asked on the health declaration form.
The only time I was asked about travel health insurance was at my departing flight from the US at the ticket counter.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 11:32 am

Just got back from MLE.

You'll need a PCR Covid test 72 hours prior to departure from your first point of embarkation meaning JFK for your scenario.

You'll also need to complete an online Maldivian Health Declaration Form within 24 hours prior to departure. You'll want the generated QR code handy to show immigration. Make sure it's downloaded or you have a screen shot on your phone if you don't plan on activating your phone in MLE.

The airport WiFi at MLE requires a sms sent to your phone number and you won't get it if you don't activate cellular roaming.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 12:22 pm
S.R

Originally Posted by blacke61
Just got back from Dubai

At DXB they didn't check from my travel health insurance for my return flight although it was a question asked on the health declaration form.
The only time I was asked about travel health insurance was at my departing flight from the US at the ticket counter.
So does that mean travel health insurance is required?
Old Oct 14, 2020, 2:08 pm

I can't say for sure.
Certain outlets say yes others say no.
For example the U.S. Embassy website states "Airlines often request passengers to provide a copy of their health insurance (with coverage in the UAE)"

I have both the Platinum Amex and Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card. I didn't feel like either credit card specifically stated medical health insurance was provided as as a benefit if the card was used to purchase the airfare. Some travelers feel credit card coverage is adequate and provide a copy of their credit card insurance policies.

I went ahead and bought travel health insurance just to be on the safe side. The cost was nominal and I didn't feel like it was worth the risk to go to the airport without it.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 2:29 pm
S.R

I can't say for sure.
Certain outlets say yes others say no.
For example the U.S. Embassy website states "Airlines often request passengers to provide a copy of their health insurance (with coverage in the UAE)"

I have both the Platinum Amex and Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card. I didn't feel like either credit card specifically stated medical health insurance was provided as as a benefit if the card was used to purchase the airfare. Some travelers feel credit card coverage is adequate and provide a copy of their credit card insurance policies.

I went ahead and bought travel health insurance just to be on the safe side. The cost was nominal and I didn't feel like it was worth the risk to go to the airport without it.
Thanks, can you let me know what provider you purchased from? You can PM if you don't want to post here.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by S.R
Thanks, can you let me know what provider you purchased from? You can PM if you don't want to post here.
Other members have suggested Axa UAE, seems you can purchase online https://www.axa.ae/en/personal/produ...avel-insurance question is does it cover Covid

Edit - Seems it does page 11 - "In case of illness due to infectious disease (epidemic/pandemic) in any country apart from the country the Trip originated, we shall pay for the Emergency Medical Expenses. "
https://online.axa-gulf.com/CMSFILES..._TC_UAE_EN.pdf
Seems it just does not cover for personal liability

Last edited by suley; Oct 14, 2020 at 3:44 pm
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:43 pm

It seems like if I have a layover that is under 24 hours at DXB, I won't need a negative PCR COVID test if I don't leave the airport. Is this correct?
Am I allowed to check into the transit hotel inside the terminal?
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:47 pm

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
Originally Posted by AC777300
It seems like if I have a layover that is under 24 hours at DXB, I won't need a negative PCR COVID test if I don't leave the airport. Is this correct?
Am I allowed to check into the transit hotel inside the terminal?
i stayed at the transit hotel and wasn’t asked for a PCR test (my layover was more than 24 hours actually).

I did do a test, of my own volition, to help with my onward travel plans. Was advised 12 hours for results, got them in eight.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 4:41 am

Not sure if it's been clarified in previous thread... However... The free PCR test administered on arrive at DXB to some pax, one gets a simple SMS.. Negative or positive. There is no certificate, so that (negative) result is NOT valid for use for departing DXB. One MUST get and pay for a separate test outside of airport where there is a printable certificate given as result.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 5:16 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
Not sure if it's been clarified in previous thread... However... The free PCR test administered on arrive at DXB to some pax, one gets a simple SMS.. Negative or positive. There is no certificate, so that (negative) result is NOT valid for use for departing DXB. One MUST get and pay for a separate test outside of airport where there is a printable certificate given as result.
This week, I paid for a test in DXB (airside) and received a certificate. Test is done in the area just before immigration in T3. EK Connections desk at Gate 18 Concourse B receive the results after an SMS from DHA, and issue a certificate.

The promise was results in 12 hours, and I got the SMS in about seven hours.

Cost was AED165 from memory.

You have to be absolutely clear that you’re willing to pay for a test. I wouldn’t have known if I hadn’t called EK and got advice prior, as the staff on hand are quite adamant, but when I put the staff on the phone with EK they immediately changed their tune.

Last edited by IntrepidAfrican2; Oct 15, 2020 at 5:22 am
Old Oct 23, 2020, 10:31 pm

Programs: Marriott BonvAnnoyed
where did you get your test? In NYC and for how much? We are planning to leave for MLE (TOTAL of 4 family members).

Just got back from MLE.

You'll need a PCR Covid test 72 hours prior to departure from your first point of embarkation meaning JFK for your scenario.

You'll also need to complete an online Maldivian Health Declaration Form within 24 hours prior to departure. You'll want the generated QR code handy to show immigration. Make sure it's downloaded or you have a screen shot on your phone if you don't plan on activating your phone in MLE.

The airport WiFi at MLE requires a sms sent to your phone number and you won't get it if you don't activate cellular roaming.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75
Just came back from MLE. On the way over we flew LH from ORD to FRA and then to DXB. We had to show the negative PCR test in ORD and also again in FRA before boarding the plane. FRA is very strict (at least LH) and every passenger needs to show the PCR test again regardless so head to the gate early. Since we were connecting in DXB we didn't need proof of insurance but we saw several people getting denied boarding unless they provided that. Multiple people were buying insurance on the spot, showing the confirmation on their phones and they were cleared to board. Flight departed FRA about 1:20hrs late. Transiting DXB was pretty easy. No one asked for the health declaration form but we had to go to the EK desk in order to get our boarding passes for MLE. We had to show the PCR negative test again but overall it was pretty easy. Used the LH lounge in FRA and EK in DXB. Airports were pretty empty as you probably know.
Stayed ant the Waldorf Astoria and it was excellent (will post something in the Hilton forum). No masks required on the yacht or at the hotel. Again EXCELLENT use of HH points
On the way back we flew QR to avoid the PCR test requirement. Flew MLE-DOH-PHL and was extremely easy. Fill MLE health declaration online within 24 hours of departure and save the QR codes on your phone. They scan those as soon as you step inside the airport. Only additional step with QR is the use of face shields to board the planes (they distributed them in a table next to the boarding gate, so go there before you are called to board). In Y you need to keep the mask and face shield on at all times except while eating or drinking. In J you can take everything off as soon as you get to your seat. We took the face shields off but kept our masks around and put them on while interacting with the crew and also when going to the restrooms.
Lounge in DOH was pretty empty compared to normal times but still some people around. Food is a la carte upstairs for now. F lounge is closed. Everything else is pretty much the same.
We felt pretty safe everywhere. Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them.
Cheers!
Old Oct 26, 2020, 9:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75
Originally Posted by ali7204
where did you get your test? In NYC and for how much? We are planning to leave for MLE (TOTAL of 4 family members).
Costco is selling tests online for $120. They overnight them to you, you spit in a cup, send the sample back and should get your results in 24-72 hours. Just giving you an option I saw online
Old Oct 26, 2020, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by amiras
Costco is selling tests online for $120. They overnight them to you, you spit in a cup, send the sample back and should get your results in 24-72 hours. Just giving you an option I saw online

the Maldives doesn’t offically accept at home tests so you are taking a huge risk there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.