Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates COVID test and other questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2020, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold

I am going to be flying EK from IAD-MLE in 2 weeks with a day stop over in Dubai. I’d ideally like to cut the stop over out but currently there’s no award space for the DXB-MLE leg a day earlier.

I understand that currently IAD isn’t a listed airport to take the covid test in order to board but we are still going to do the test before departure. I understand it to be 96 hours for the results to be issued.

Does the 96 hour window include the actual swabbing or just the lab issues the results within 96 hours.

My flight is on a Tuesday at 10 pm. Which means 96 hours is Friday night at 10 pm. This is very challenging to obtain a Covid test on the weekend and have the lab run the sample.
I managed to run a at home testing solution by Labcorp. The issue is shipping the sample back to the lab. The sample must be dropped off to fedex on Friday at 5pm in order to reach the lab Saturday morning and get the results by Tuesday. This is 5 hours before the 96 hour window if it’s based on the actual swabbing time, but would work if they are only looking at the date the lab issued the results.

What happens in a worst case situation if my results don’t come back by Tuesday and we board the flight ? Do we need to stay at the airport hotel for 36 hours until our flight to MLE ?

my last question relates to EK award space. Currently I am booked in First using EK miles. There is currently atleast 4 F seats open for sale on the DXB-MLE A day earlier but no award space. I would ideally like to eliminate the stop over in Dubai and this the testing requirement to enter. Does EK ever open up space ? How close in ? Anything I need to know in order to watch the trends ?

thanks everyone
Old Jul 21, 2020, 5:42 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Not sure why you are stressing about this if it's not required for you unless you are originating from one of the high risk states. EK also has not listed the lab from which they will accept a certificate yet on their site. Also, aren't they are doing a test for all arriving tourists at DXB so they would administer on there? In any case, the way I read it is that the results must be "issued" within 96h of departure but I think trying to get email confirmation from EK would be best.

EK opens space up quite randomly with no real pattern but I have seen space open up closer to departure. I'm guessing you already have an EF alert set up?
Shadowfactor likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 6:53 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
I wouldn't bother trying to get a CV test in USA. Just get the free one on arrival in DXB, reports suggest the results are back in 24 hours, but as you just have a 1 day stopover you will have to remain at your hotel. See other thread in this group for more on that.

From personal experience i usually found that EK used to release 1 or 2 more F seats at T-72 hours, but im not sure if thats still the case with everything thats currently going on
Shadowfactor likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
I think I would feel better to get tested before leaving. I don’t want to spread it should I have it and I also don’t want to get stuck anywhere should I get tested randomly while overseas.

worst case, I will test in Dubai on arrival.

I emailed EK for clarification a few days ago, haven’t heard back. The call center isn’t very clear. Hence the reason I posted here.

my thought was to take the test on Thursday afternoon which is outside the 96 window but it would take 2-3 days for the lab to process the sample and thus fall within the 96 hours.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 2:09 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor
I think I would feel better to get tested before leaving. I don’t want to spread it should I have it and I also don’t want to get stuck anywhere should I get tested randomly while overseas.
Unfortunately, the place you're most likely to catch it is a metal tube with 300-400 other people on your way to DXB & MLE. And mixing with thousands of people at IAD or DXB.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 7:27 am

my understand is below:
1) from IAD to dubai not a list airport need to have the tested before boarding this moment
2) for going out dxb you need to have done a test or provide a test report
3) regulation will be always change with a short notice
4) test report count from the time you take the sample

what I think better you go to have a result if you want to stop over dubai and stay overnight or jsut have walk, also is good for explain to the port officer when need.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:53 am

Covid 19 PCR test from DXB airport on DHA website of my test results lists the following:
* name :
* Emirates ID :
* passport # :
* result date & time :
Old Jul 22, 2020, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Originally Posted by Smurfettepharoh
Covid 19 PCR test from DXB airport on DHA website of my test results lists the following:
* name :
* Emirates ID :
* passport # :
* result date & time :
emirates ID is only required for non-UAE residents, and the app now supports non-UAE phone numbers to register

my last test results came back within 11 hours for what it's worth
Wanderlust_65 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:25 pm

Programs: Skywards Silver
Just hit the news

The UAE announced on Thursday that it is now mandatory to conduct a COVID-19 PCR test on everyone arriving through the country's airports, including citizens, residents, tourists and transit passengers, regardless of the country they are flying in from.

The PCR tests will be implemented, starting August 1, at all UAE airports.

https://gulfnews.com/uae/health/coro....1595452076359
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Originally Posted by Wanderlust_65
Just hit the news

The UAE announced on Thursday that it is now mandatory to conduct a COVID-19 PCR test on everyone arriving through the country's airports, including citizens, residents, tourists and transit passengers, regardless of the country they are flying in from.

https://gulfnews.com/uae/health/coro....1595452076359
Thanks for sharing. For what it's worth, when I arrrived I would say only 10 people or so were in the lane for those carrying a negative test from their PoO, compared to I'd estimate 300-400 that were going to test on arrival, so this requirement shouldn't add much time on arrival
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou
emirates ID is only required for non-UAE residents, and the app now supports non-UAE phone numbers to register

my last test results came back within 11 hours for what it's worth

i have no idea about the Emirates ID # because I did not register anything on DHA website.
I stated in previous post that my test results can be retrieved on DHA by entering date of birth and passport #.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:48 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
From Gulf News:

Changes again!

Abu Dhabi: The UAE announced on Thursday that it is now mandatory to conduct a COVID-19 PCR test on everyone arriving through the country's airports, including citizens, residents, tourists and transit passengers, regardless of the country they are flying in from.

The National Authority for Emergency and Crisis and Disaster Management and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation confirmed that all UAE residents traveling to the European Union, Britain and any other countries that require a COVID-19 PCR test, have to take the test before they board the plane.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 3:29 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
So tourists travelling from EU now have to have a CV test before boarding the flight to DXB from 1st aug?

UAE seem to be making changes to the rules daily so its becoming incredibly confusing.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 3:58 am

Programs: Skywards Silver
Would be interesting to hear more details on this..

Emirates to offer free cover of Covid-19 medical costs for passengers.

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/coronav...for-passengers

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/trans...ence-1.1053542
Old Jul 23, 2020, 4:03 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by modularmayhem
So tourists travelling from EU now have to have a CV test before boarding the flight to DXB from 1st aug?

UAE seem to be making changes to the rules daily so its becoming incredibly confusing.
I don't think that's correct. In fact, I think it's the opposite.

Everybody arriving into UAE needs a test on arrival, ie. at DXB / AUH.

A test prior to the flight to UAE is not enough. There have been reports of fake test certificates, so this may be as a response to that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.