Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates COVID test and other questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates COVID test and other questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2020, 3:42 pm

We are doing following trip YYZ-DXB-FRA soon, all flight on same PNR . Arrive in DXB ~7pm and depart to Frankfurt the next day at ~230pm. We will be spending one night in Dubai as there is no same day connecting flight to Frankfurt.
My main question is do we need to do another Covid 19 test on arrival to DXB or the covid 19 test result for the YYZ-DXB is sufficient.
We are intended to do the covid-19 test at 96hr before our YYZ-DXB flight, but the result might no longer valid for the DXB-FRA flight unless we time it exactly at 96hr before the DXB-FRA flgiht, which would mean we only have 48hr to get our covid-19 test result before our first flight out, a risk that we are not comfortable to take.
FYI , we are canadian citizen

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 13, 2020, 8:35 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ExpatinAsia
Leaving Dubai in a few days, connecting through FRA then on to IAD, on LH then UA. Is a Covid test prior to leaving required, or is that just if flying EK? I'm seeing somewhat conflicting messages on this. Thanks.
I thought you couldn't transit the EU to fly to the US or are you exempt?
Old Sep 14, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Zol
I thought you couldn't transit the EU to fly to the US or are you exempt?
My understanding is that US Citizens and Permanent Residents are allowed to do so. And there are a few other exceptions of visa classes and family members
Old Sep 14, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: Skywards
Exclamation

Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou
Just made another appointment with the NHS will report back on how long it takes this time.
Havent even reached half capacity yet, shouldnt be long
Old Sep 14, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by thijsseh
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Its extremely simple: There is a list of reasons why one qualifies for an NHS test. 'To clear a person for travel' is not on that list. Whether you pay (or have paid) tax or NI contributions in the UK, whether you think that the testing centres or the labs are overloaded and lots of other arguments have nothing to do with that. Getting a test to obtain permission to board an aeroplane is fraud. That's a fact, not an opinion.
One's 'moral compass' may make it OK to commit fraud, but that's a different issue.

I try very hard not to be judgemental here, but I needed to get that off my chest.
I think using the word fraud is a bit over the top. Those that fly often pay an incredible amount in taxes already, why should they have to pay an additional amount for a test result that is not worth the paper it is written on? Either the tests should be scrapped or should be paid for by the airlines/who ever is enforcing them. There are a lot of freebies in the UK that generally go to those that contribute nothing to society, those are the issues we should get excited about rather than payment avoidance for a pointless test.
ElJudioErrante and ZacZolar like this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 12:05 am

Programs: UA Glob Svc, DL Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Diamond Inn Platinum
US passport holder, so not an issue. Answered the question on the ground here re. the requisite testing as did not seem anyone on the board here really knows.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 12:08 am

Programs: EY Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Its extremely simple: There is a list of reasons why one qualifies for an NHS test. 'To clear a person for travel' is not on that list. Whether you pay (or have paid) tax or NI contributions in the UK, whether you think that the testing centres or the labs are overloaded and lots of other arguments have nothing to do with that. Getting a test to obtain permission to board an aeroplane is fraud. That's a fact, not an opinion.
One's 'moral compass' may make it OK to commit fraud, but that's a different issue.

I try very hard not to be judgemental here, but I needed to get that off my chest.
Its neither fraud or illegal - that's a fact. There may however, be a moral issue but that is down to individual.

Zac.
Will08 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 4:01 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by ZacZolar
Its neither fraud or illegal - that's a fact. There may however, be a moral issue but that is down to individual.

Zac.
Originally Posted by Will08
I think using the word fraud is a bit over the top. Those that fly often pay an incredible amount in taxes already, why should they have to pay an additional amount for a test result that is not worth the paper it is written on? Either the tests should be scrapped or should be paid for by the airlines/who ever is enforcing them. There are a lot of freebies in the UK that generally go to those that contribute nothing to society, those are the issues we should get excited about rather than payment avoidance for a pointless test.

We obviously have different interpretations of the word 'fraud'. Looking at a dictionary, it is clear in my mind (as per my earlier post), but I am not going to get drawn into a discussion on that.

If it is 'illegal' I simply don't know. I don't know if there is a law in the UK which prohibits fraudulent use of NHS facilities.

Having said all that, there is now a serious shortage of laboratory test capacity, to the point that some NHS staff are not able to get to work because they can't get tested soon enough. Seeing a test collection facility empty does not mean that all is well!
DYKWIA and m3red like this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by silverlim
We are doing following trip YYZ-DXB-FRA soon, all flight on same PNR . Arrive in DXB ~7pm and depart to Frankfurt the next day at ~230pm. We will be spending one night in Dubai as there is no same day connecting flight to Frankfurt.
My main question is do we need to do another Covid 19 test on arrival to DXB or the covid 19 test result for the YYZ-DXB is sufficient.
We are intended to do the covid-19 test at 96hr before our YYZ-DXB flight, but the result might no longer valid for the DXB-FRA flight unless we time it exactly at 96hr before the DXB-FRA flgiht, which would mean we only have 48hr to get our covid-19 test result before our first flight out, a risk that we are not comfortable to take.
FYI , we are canadian citizen

Thanks in advance
Please help.
Anyone can shed light whether we need to 2 covid 19 test for our flight YYZ-DXB-FRA, one prior to YYZ-DXB snd again on arrival to DXB, since we are forced to stay overnight at Dubai?
Old Sep 15, 2020, 9:12 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Please help.
Anyone can shed light whether we need to 2 covid 19 test for our flight YYZ-DXB-FRA, one prior to YYZ-DXB snd again on arrival to DXB, since we are forced to stay overnight at Dubai?
It will all depend on the 96 hour rule from what I can see. If it's > 96 hours, then you may need to take another test.

However... I'm not sure where they actually check your certificate. If it's before you go airside rather than at the gate, then maybe you could book the airside hotel, as it's still technically a normal connection (< 24 hours).

Can anybody else confirm where the check is made?
Old Sep 15, 2020, 8:59 pm

Please help.
You're not being forced to stay, and I was going to suggest you travel on a day EK45 is operating as you would only have a couple of hours in DXB, but as EK doesn't appear to offer YYZ-FRA is this two separate bookings?
Old Sep 15, 2020, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by ft101
You're not being forced to stay, and I was going to suggest you travel on a day EK45 is operating as you would only have a couple of hours in DXB, but as EK doesn't appear to offer YYZ-FRA is this two separate bookings?
its same booking under one PNR and all EK operated flight. There are no EK flight to connect to FRA on the same day as the YYZ flight arrive at 630pm and the last flight leave FRA depart at 240 pm. So technically, we are force to stay overnight.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 10:05 pm

its same booking under one PNR and all EK operated flight. There are no EK flight to connect to FRA on the same day as the YYZ flight arrive at 630pm and the last flight leave FRA depart at 240 pm. So technically, we are force to stay overnight.
Yes, sorry I got my am and pm mixed up - 24 hour clock is much easier

I'm curious about the booking route though as USA/Canada to Western Europe is usually a no no with Emirates, and it won't price up if I try to replicate it on line. How did you manage it?
Old Sep 16, 2020, 12:26 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by ft101
Yes, sorry I got my am and pm mixed up - 24 hour clock is much easier

I'm curious about the booking route though as USA/Canada to Western Europe is usually a no no with Emirates, and it won't price up if I try to replicate it on line. How did you manage it?
It’s certainly ‘the long way around’ and in the past when I looked at similar routing it indeed did not price up.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Plat, AS 75K, AA Plat, IHG Spire Amb, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold
Have you found out the answer to your own question yet? Facing the same issue in the next week. Would like to know the answer if someone can shed some light.

Please help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.