Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Chipotle" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by teddybear99
Bolding mine

Where is this being used? The stores in South Florida still have the prep right behind the serving line and I have had no problem asking for the steak that was just cooked in front of me; juicy and flavorful.

For some stores the vegetables are being cut and packaged by a commissary then shipped to the stores. Cross contamination between the raw meat and vegetables was identified as the source of a past e coli outbreak.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by TGarza
For some stores the vegetables are being cut and packaged by a commissary then shipped to the stores. Cross contamination between the raw meat and vegetables was identified as the source of a past e coli outbreak.
Having previously worked in fast food as well as regular restaurants, most if not all fast food and major chain sit down restaurants get their vegetables pre cut from their distributors or other vendors. Nothing new there, even Boston Chicken (now Market) used to have their side dishes cooked in a central commissary and delivered a few times a day when the chain first started as Dunkin Donuts does with their donuts now. It reduced space needed at the stores as well as gave consistency of being the same quality if you visited different stores.

The restaurants who have their own chefs versus line cooks will cut their own as needed as these restaurants are more high end and individualized.
TGarza likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Bolding mine

Where is this being used? The stores in South Florida still have the prep right behind the serving line and I have had no problem asking for the steak that was just cooked in front of me; juicy and flavorful.
Everywhere. The steak is already cooked by the time it reaches the store. The store is only supposed to reheat it on the grill, but usually ends up further cooking it.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:16 pm

Having previously worked in fast food as well as regular restaurants, most if not all fast food and major chain sit down restaurants get their vegetables pre cut from their distributors or other vendors. Nothing new there, even Boston Chicken (now Market) used to have their side dishes cooked in a central commissary and delivered a few times a day when the chain first started as Dunkin Donuts does with their donuts now. It reduced space needed at the stores as well as gave consistency of being the same quality if you visited different stores.

The restaurants who have their own chefs versus line cooks will cut their own as needed as these restaurants are more high end and individualized.

At one time, Chipotle would cut vegetables in the store but the prep area is not really large enough to prevent cross contamination when the stores are busy. I will eat at Chipotle not because of the marketing claims regarding ingredients but because of the easy to control calorie count. This is true for any line assembly restaurant.

I have seen the prep area at Taco Bell with the cooked meat in a bag being dropped in boiling water. The bag looked liked wet dog food. I would expect a fast food or quick service or casual chain restaurant to prepare the sides on site.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by javabytes

Everywhere. The steak is already cooked by the time it reaches the store. The store is only supposed to reheat it on the grill, but usually ends up further cooking it.
Sorry, I see the raw meat being cooked and then sliced after cooking at South Florida stores; chicken, pork and steak are sliced or pulled apart (shredded) right in front of me behind the serving line. So it may be a regional thing, not everywhere.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Sorry, I see the raw meat being cooked and then sliced after cooking at South Florida stores; chicken, pork and steak are sliced or pulled apart (shredded) right in front of me behind the serving line. So it may be a regional thing, not everywhere.
Same here.

I just wish Chipotle was more consistent. There is one employee who acts as if he is paying for the ingredients out of his own pocket. I've overheard others talk about a stingy Chipotle employee and I knew exactly who they were talking about. It gets tiring having to ask for more rice, salsa, etc from him. The other night I asked for corn salsa and there were literally no more than 10 kernels that ended up in my bowl. For the most part other employees give a generous amount of the non-meat items.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
You may think it’s raw, but it isn’t. Barbacoa and Carnitas were cooked in central kitchens long before steak joined them. I think chicken may still be cooked from a raw state but not sure.

Last edited by javabytes; Aug 18, 2018 at 10:40 pm
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes

You may think it’s raw, but it isn’t. Barbacoa and Carnitas were cooked in central kitchens long before steak joined them. I think chicken may still be cooked from a raw state but not sure.
Correct. The steak was changed to partially cooked in a central kitchen before being marinated in the store and grilled. The same is true for the barbacoa and carnitas. Chicken is raw and marinated in the store.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/chip...ry?id=37696967
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
Chipotle is fine, but Cafe Rio is fantastic!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Good news: Chorizo is back!
Bad news: Only for a limited time.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Sep 11, 2018 at 4:25 pm
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
And in other bad news, the gritty queso that replaced the chorizo the first time around is here to stay!
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:42 am

Chipotle testing rewards program in PHX, CMH, and MCI areas.

https://ktar.com/story/2240697/chipo...hoenix-market/
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SWCPHX
Chipotle testing rewards program in PHX, CMH, and MCI areas.

https://ktar.com/story/2240697/chipo...hoenix-market/
The base redemption is one free entree after $125 spend; so basically buy 14, get one free. I'm sure there will be double/triple point offers, like between 2-5pm on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday.

I had Qdoba for the first time in a long time a few days ago. Their quesadillas and nachos are top-notch; their burritos, not so much.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
The base redemption is one free entree after $125 spend; so basically buy 14, get one free. I'm sure there will be double/triple point offers, like between 2-5pm on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday.

I had Qdoba for the first time in a long time a few days ago. Their quesadillas and nachos are top-notch; their burritos, not so much.
If they run it like Cafe Rio, there will be some kind of promotion almost everyday. Double points on burritos one day, double points on quesadillas, triple points on entire purchase, etc. I like Cafe Rio, but all of their promos I think lead them to having to charge you $12 for a burrito sometimes.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I wish they would change their name. For the umpteenth time, this instance was a local TV newsreader, I heard it pronounced Chip-Pole-Tay. I know it's not important but it still grinds my gears.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.