Consolidated "Chipotle" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Chipotle" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Chipotle = Moe's = Qdoba = Panchero's = Freebird = Baja Fresh = Uno Mas = <Chain Burrito Place Name Here>

I swear "burrito place" has become a fast-food genre like "burger place" or "chicken place." Anyway, I've had all of the above, and they're basically the same, with regional or personal taste differences. For instance, I love love love Moe's in Florida, where the simmered pork has a great Cuban flavor...but it's only okay anywhere else.

Going wayyy back to the original post --
Uno Mas in SJC Terminal B is pretty good
PHL has "Burrito Elito" and "Cerrito Burrito", but I haven't tried either.

(Ahem) Sorry, carry on...
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I'll admit to a soft spot for the largely Florida-based Tijuana Flats. They are horribly inauthentic (buffalo chicken burrito, anyone?) but generally quite tasty.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by noodlenoggin
Chipotle = Moe's = Qdoba = Panchero's = Freebird = Baja Fresh = Uno Mas = <Chain Burrito Place Name Here>

I swear "burrito place" has become a fast-food genre like "burger place" or "chicken place."
I stopped going to Baja Fresh 10+ years ago when they started serving fish tacos -- their chicken started having a slight fishy taste to it. Moes and Chipotle don't have that problem.

That's the only big difference I see between the chains.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Toronto Pearson Int'l Airport YYZ Union Pearson Express UPX to Downtown Chipotle

Not quite "at the airport", but there is a Chipotle next to (just west of) Union Station in downtown Toronto (it's been there for a few years now)... so if you're doing a somewhat lengthy enough layover/connection at YYZ, you can hop on the Union Pearson Express (UPX) train to Union Station and walk over... if you have a craving.
somemale likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I was sad to find out that the chorizo is gone. I went back to my usual sofritas burrito, and it was very tasty.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I was sad to find out that the chorizo is gone. I went back to my usual sofritas burrito, and it was very tasty.
Only to find out that my closest Chipotle still serves chorizo. Tasty as always, but the guy who wrapped my burrito was obviously new, so it was incredibly messy.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Qdoba has started selling Impossible fake meat. I had it in my burrito. It was pretty good, but I still prefer the Chipotle sofritas.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chipotlanes

Back in February, Chipotle announced it was adding drive-thrus:
Chipotle has plans to open "a few dozen" Chipotlanes at new locations according to Niccol. "Arguably, it will be the fastest way to get Chipotle — going through the Chipotlane," he said. The drive-thru lanes are supposed to help boost online/digital orders, as well as give the fast casual spot freedom to get creative with different types of stores. In its most recent quarter, the restaurant reported a 65.6% growth in digital sales, which make up 12.9% of the restaurant's overall sales.

Putting a modern spin on the traditional fast food drive-thru experience is just one way Niccol has implemented many of the same marketing and overall business tactics he used at Taco Bell, where he served as chief executive officer from 2015 to 2018. These strategies are clear even just in the one year since Niccol transitioned over to Chipotle, which has been trying to revitalize both its reputation and menu since the now infamous food-borne illness outbreak starting in 2015.

The focus on takeout, digital orders and overall innovation since Niccol took over the CEO reigns at Chipotle is likely a contributing factor to the restaurant's highest growth in six quarters.
Link: Forbes - Chipotle Mexican Grill Introduces Drive-Thru 'Chipotlanes'

Today the Atlanta newspaper reported that the first one (in Georgia) opened:
Chipotle Mexican Grill will open its newest Cobb County restaurant with a more convenient option for customers who are short on time.

The company on Tuesday, July 9 will open its fast-casual restaurant at 3606 Sandy Plains Road in Marietta featuring its first Chipotlane, a drive-thru pickup lane so patrons can retrieve orders without leaving their cars.
Link to full article: AJC.com - Chipotle to open first drive-thru lane at new Cobb restaurant (July 1, 2019)
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
Back in February, Chipotle announced it was adding drive-thrus:
I'll be honest Chipotlanes is a pretty cringy name but I love the idea
Old Sep 25, 2019, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Just tried the new carne asada. I was quite hopeful because I used to love the steak before they started cooking it in central kitchens. I find that instead of simply reheating the steak, restaurants end up cooking the life out of it. I hoped that restaurants might put a little more care into the carne asada, or that even if they overcooked it, it would still turn out better. I was wrong. Overcooked carne asada is way worse than overcooked steak... chalk-like texture, and the flavor just isn’t good compared to the regular steak seasoning.

I’ll give it another try if I actually see some nice, pink carne asada on the assembly line but first impressions were
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:23 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
If the carne asada is fresh, it's fine. But, after sitting in the warmer for a bit, it overcooks.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was running out of time, so I ordered a Chipotle sofritas burrito to go on the way to the airport and put it in my carry-on to eat at the gate. TSA at MCO pulled my bag.

TSA Agent, after opening my bag: Do you seriously have a burrito in here?

Yes, he did swab the foil (I joked with him and said I hope the machine's test results say "delicious"), and he also made me open the foil to prove there was a burrito in there.
grbflyer likes this.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Jan 7, 2020 at 3:01 pm
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Was running out of time, so I ordered a Chipotle sofritas burrito to go on the way to the airport and put it in my carry-on to eat at the gate. TSA at MCO pulled my bag.

TSA Agent, after opening my bag: Do you seriously have a burrito in here?

Yes, he did swab the foil (I joked with him and said I hope the machine's test results say "delicious"), and he also made me open it to prove there was a burrito in there.
That was really funny.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Carne asada is back "for a limited time", so I tried one on Wednesday. It was good. Definitely better than their normal steak. However, I'll still stick with the sofritas and save a few bucks.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Carne asada is back "for a limited time",
It came back 3 or 4 weeks ago in ATL, but for the first week or two you could only order it using the Chipotle App -- it was an "app exclusive".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.