Ever had a good sub at Subway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever had a good sub at Subway?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I always use the comment section for any other customizations. I don’t like a lot of lettuce on cold subs, especially if I’m not going to eat it all the first day. Gets kind of wilted the 2nd or 3rd day.

We only have sub chains in my neighborhood. Panera, Subway, Jersey Mike’s. I’d love to have an independent one nearby. I’ve gotten some decent sandwiches at an Italian place in central Scottsdale, but it’s way out of my normal stomping grounds.

You should be glad you’ve got other good options!
I am thankful I have other options.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by kipper
I tried Jersey Mike's yesterday. The sub was good, although I was disappointed that, when ordering online, customization options were minimal. Likewise, while good, the value was lacking. I can get a sub of close to the same quality, in a larger size, for a similar price, at a local pizza place.
Its true, Jersey Mike's isn't cheap but, I think they're better quality than other sandwich chain alternatives. The staff seem friendlier too.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Its true, Jersey Mike's isn't cheap but, I think they're better quality than other sandwich chain alternatives. The staff seem friendlier too.
Not cheap is one way to describe it. I had no interaction with the staff, as I ordered online and simply picked up from a shelf in the store. None of the employees acknowledged me.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
3rd day.
Who waits 2 or 3 (?!) days to eat a sub? That's really gross.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by enviroian
Why gross? Ever heard of a refrigerator? You eat half one day, and the rest a day or two or three later. Why be wasteful and throw it away?

In particular, I find their cold subs to still taste great even a few days later.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Why gross? Ever heard of a refrigerator? You eat half one day, and the rest a day or two or three later. Why be wasteful and throw it away?

In particular, I find their cold subs to still taste great even a few days later.
Personally I don't see anything wrong with this. If the pricing was linear, fine. But often it isn't, so as Jaimito, you put half in the fridge for later. When you want it, take it out and depending on type, maybe reheat it.

About the only ones that I would have issue with are those with guac on them. Those can generally only last a few hours even with the acidic component in them. After that the colouring and taste often go.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Personally I don't see anything wrong with this. If the pricing was linear, fine. But often it isn't, so as Jaimito, you put half in the fridge for later. When you want it, take it out and depending on type, maybe reheat it.

About the only ones that I would have issue with are those with guac on them. Those can generally only last a few hours even with the acidic component in them. After that the colouring and taste often go.
That’s why I only get a little lettuce on my cold subs as I find it degrades pretty quickly. I find a hot cheesesteak warms up well, too.

I love guacamole on fresh mexican food, but not on subs.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 4:46 pm

That’s why I only get a little lettuce on my cold subs as I find it degrades pretty quickly. I find a hot cheesesteak warms up well, too.

I love guacamole on fresh mexican food, but not on subs.
Cheesesteak is nice. I try to avoid the tuna sub (soaks the bread) or any where the guac is default (there are two or three of them) unless I know I'm going to consume the whole thing immediately (which is rare). Even when I customize the subs, I have to tell them to go light on the sauces. Pizza sub especially as the salt attack is just so overwhelming. Unfortunately western delis aren't very common here, I wouldn't mind having some better quality subs. All we really have are Subway, Mr. Sub, Firehouse Subs (if they understand "no mayo".... the occasional Quiznos (although I haven't seen any in my area in a while)... the odd vietnamese sandwich subs (those are tasty, but having only those gets tiring after a while) and another chain called Druxy's (about on par or maybe a bit above the others). Hopefully they'll make a comeback, but I suspect not anytime soon.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can save some for the next day but even then it gets all soggy. Maybe you get yours dry but I like it "mike's way" (tomato, lettuce, oil & vinegar) and also mayo.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by corky
I can save some for the next day but even then it gets all soggy. Maybe you get yours dry but I like it "mike's way" (tomato, lettuce, oil & vinegar) and also mayo.
Maybe it's just me. But standard ordering for me is to have less sauce, no tomatoes or spinach (whole leaves tend to hold pockets of liquid). Edges do come out of the fridge dried... and the internals tend to be a little damp, but still serviceable. I suspect I keep the fridge too cold as when I put rice in there, it definitely dries up and needs a bit of water when I reheat...
Old Jul 10, 2022, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Maybe it's just me. But standard ordering for me is to have less sauce, no tomatoes or spinach (whole leaves tend to hold pockets of liquid). Edges do come out of the fridge dried... and the internals tend to be a little damp, but still serviceable. I suspect I keep the fridge too cold as when I put rice in there, it definitely dries up and needs a bit of water when I reheat...
I used to get my typical sub with red wine vinegar, but now I just get them dry and add what I want at home. Sometimes it is vinegar of some sort (occasionally balsamic), sometimes it's mustard or hot sauce, and often I just don't add anything.

-J.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I used to get my typical sub with red wine vinegar, but now I just get them dry and add what I want at home. Sometimes it is vinegar of some sort (occasionally balsamic), sometimes it's mustard or hot sauce, and often I just don't add anything.

-J.
I don't even know if any of our chains have a red wine vinegrette. I don't keep a huge variety of sauces at home (many would go bad once opened as I wouldn't finish it all) I just need a little moisture in the food...

That said, I have been trying different sauces with dim sum when I make it. Definitely an acquired taste for some of them...
Old Jul 11, 2022, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines

Personally I wouldn't eat a sub a day over ever but it's your food pal you eat what you want.

YMMV.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I usually buy two footlong subs if I ever go to Subway, and half of one sub is a meal for me. So I'll be eating on them for 2-3 days at the minimum. However I wouldn't eat one after three days, especially if it is poultry based, as mine often are.

-J.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:32 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
From today's NumLock News

A U.S. District Court judge has said that Subway will indeed have to go to court over the proposed class-action lawsuit alleging that it deceived consumers about their tuna. The sandwich shop has been on a blistering PR counteroffensive amid claims from a plaintiff that DNA tests carried out by UCLA’s Barber Lab purportedly found 19 out of 20 samples of Subway’s tuna contained no detectable tuna DNA; while all 20 had chicken DNA, 11 had pork DNA and seven had cattle DNA. Subway argued that the presence of non-tuna DNA was because of eggs in mayonnaise and possible cross-contact, and that the suit should be thrown out, though the judge decided to let this one play out.

Jonathan Stempel, Reuters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.