Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever had a good sub at Subway?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
From today's NumLock News

A U.S. District Court judge has said that Subway will indeed have to go to court over the proposed class-action lawsuit alleging that it deceived consumers about their tuna. The sandwich shop has been on a blistering PR counteroffensive amid claims from a plaintiff that DNA tests carried out by UCLA’s Barber Lab purportedly found 19 out of 20 samples of Subway’s tuna contained no detectable tuna DNA; while all 20 had chicken DNA, 11 had pork DNA and seven had cattle DNA. Subway argued that the presence of non-tuna DNA was because of eggs in mayonnaise and possible cross-contact, and that the suit should be thrown out, though the judge decided to let this one play out.

Jonathan Stempel, Reuters
I'm a bit dubious about that. I don't know about the outlet in the US, but over here, there are separate scoops here for the scoopable stuff (eg, there is a ladel for the "pizza sauce", separate from the tuna, separate from the egg salad, etc. etc.). detectable chicken DNA, fine. Bovine or pork? Depends on what the previous person(s) ordered...maybe in trace amounts. I do wonder if it might be some other type of fish, not necessarily tuna. So maybe carp or cod or some sort of bass? There should be some tuna....

One thing they could do is invite some reporters to a few factories where the "tuna salad" is made and let them film the process.

This kinda reminds me about the beef fat McD used to use in their fries.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Was on the road last week, had a Subway sub. Still terrible.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
This kinda reminds me about the beef fat McD used to use in their fries.
Their fries have never been nearly as good since. Dating myself, I also remember well when they were cut from fresh potatoes on site...

Back to Subway now. Still nasty.
TGarza likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by braslvr
Their fries have never been nearly as good since. Dating myself, I also remember well when they were cut from fresh potatoes on site...
The Heart Attack grill had excellent beef tallow fries. I ate them at their AZ and LAS locations.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by braslvr

Back to Subway now. Still nasty.
Ever since the inflation started to rocket, I've noticed a significant skimping of toppings... all their prices have jumped between $1 and $4 higher for a footlong... so they're kinda in the doghouse with me for a while. You can't burn a customer at both ends and expect them to take it. I just have a $2 discount I need to use up (will have to see what their cheapest sub is) and then that'll be it until their prices come down. Tim's (doughnut shop) offer a better deal for me with their coupons against their various sandwiches. That or I'll pick up more takeout. Most give better value for money...
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:49 pm

The Subway tuna salad has mayonnaise which contains egg which should have some chicken DNA. Either way, who would even order the tuna salad at Subway?

The McDonald’s deep fried apple pie would burn the top of your mouth.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 11:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by TGarza
The Subway tuna salad has mayonnaise which contains egg which should have some chicken DNA. Either way, who would even order the tuna salad at Subway?
Call me crazy, it's the only thing I order there. At least I can't see any meat rainbows.
bensyd and kellio33 like this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 12:06 am

All this talk about tuna... Might make some tuna salad in the next few days.

And I won't have to sue anyone to confirm if it's real... Just not from subway
Old Jul 13, 2022, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
The McDonald’s deep fried apple pie would burn the top of your mouth.
Hey, it’s an art. To let it cool just enough to not burn your mouth, but still be really warm.

My favorite was the peach pie in China.
csufabel and TGarza like this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 6:23 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Call me crazy, it's the only thing I order there. At least I can't see any meat rainbows.
That's what I order there as many other places eliminated that from their menus.
BamaVol likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Subway tuna smells like cat food. 😁 Eat what you enjoy👍
lavedder likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Subway tuna smells like cat food. 😁 Eat what you enjoy👍
Fortunately I don’t have a cat.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I picked up Baby Swede from the library last week around noon. I asked what she wanted for lunch. "Subway." I asked, "Are you sure? How about Jersey Mike's?".

"No."
"Jimmy John's?"
"No."
"Firehouse Subs?"
"No."
"How about the cheesesteak place?"
"No."
"...Chinese food?"
"No."

So off to Subway we went. I had my usual of footlong Spicy Italian on Italian Herbs & Cheese, provolone cheese, lettuce, cucumber, banana peppers, oregano, salt & pepper, and a little Chipotle Southwest. It was fine. Not great. It fixed my hunger issue and had dinner later that evening.
Mrs. Swede and I had couples golf league tonight. The kids went thrift shopping, and we told them that they could pick up dinner from where ever they wanted. I'll give you one guess what wrappers/napkins were strewn all over the kitchen counter when we got home.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:55 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
For those who frequent Firehouse Subs, if you have their app, you can enter promo code SAVINGLIVES today to receive 1,500 bonus points.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 8:13 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Premier,, AAdvantage Gold, InterContinental Ambassador
Stuck in Toronto all night waiting for flight to Ottawa…found an all night Subway about 0300 upstairs in domestic terminal….pleased to get a breakfast sub and even more pleased that the tables along the rail all had plug outlets!
FlyerEC and TGarza like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.