Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever had a good sub at Subway?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2021, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I first started eating Subway sandwiches in college in the mid 80’s. I thought they were pretty good back then. The few times I’ve eaten them in the last 5 years, they were always mediocre at best. If I eat any at all, it would be Jersey Mike’s the last few years.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I first started eating Subway sandwiches in college in the mid 80’s. I thought they were pretty good back then. The few times I’ve eaten them in the last 5 years, they were always mediocre at best. If I eat any at all, it would be Jersey Mike’s the last few years.
I was a "prolific" Subway sandwich eater in the early aughts, and remember enjoying them.
I also think there has been a degradation in quality since, but maybe that's all in my mind (and stomach).

I've also started to notice that sometimes the person dressing your sub with toppings would lean to grab items from the furthest tray and their nasty wet or custy stained Subway uniform would then brush against your sub that they're preparing for you.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
In South Florida, we have a chain called Miami Grill (formerly Miami Subs), partially owned by Pitbull, as he bought into the chain because he grew up hanging out there and wrote some of his music while doing so. Today, I was lucky to be near one as I had to run an errand for work, so I stopped and picked up a Philly Cheesesteak Sub to take back with me to my store (around 8 miles away). When I got back to the store, it will still piping hot, and the bun so soft, it just melted in my mouth. They actually cook it when you order it and steam/toast the bun on the grill just like they do in Philly. I wish there was a location closer to me either at home or work, but alas, I can only savor this on very few occasions

When I transferred to my current location, I was looking forward to being able to eat often at a location across the street from my store, but lo and behold, it was closed 3 weeks before I transferred in, as the building was sold to an up and coming Cuban Bakery chain popular in South Florida. As of today, this chain has still not opened (Covid-19) the restaurant and I am coming up on my 1 year anniversary.
Old May 23, 2022, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Only John Oliver could have made a 25 minute clip about Subway and have it be interesting and hilarious

Old May 26, 2022, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
When I was deep into weight watchers, I ate at subway during business trips because I knew their points (calories) with WW so it was easy. It was adequately tasty and adequate. I haven’t had a subway since I made my WW goal weight and became a lifetime member.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I have Subway probably once or twice a month. Almost always the same thing: turkey sub on Italian (scooped out) with lots of veggies. Before scooping out the bread, a footlong is 450 calories; after, I estimate around 400. Half a sandwich is enough for a meal for me, so a 200-calorie meal is quite reasonable. I also usually try to find a discount code so the footlongs are either BOGO or one of them is 50% off at the minimum.

-J.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I have Subway probably once or twice a month. Almost always the same thing: turkey sub on Italian (scooped out) with lots of veggies. Before scooping out the bread, a footlong is 450 calories; after, I estimate around 400. Half a sandwich is enough for a meal for me, so a 200-calorie meal is quite reasonable. I also usually try to find a discount code so the footlongs are either BOGO or one of them is 50% off at the minimum.

-J.
Slickdeals.com always has a Subway thread going with all the active codes. $3.49 6-inch or $5.99 footlong. (Latest: https://slickdeals.net/f/15813886-su...de-footlong599)

They’ve been using the same two sets of codes for over a year now, when one set expires the other reactivates, and they just repeat this back and forth. So once you’ve seen both sets of codes you’ve seen them all.

They work for the online vault subs too, which the franchisees probably hate. But if the alternative is McDonald’s, I won’t turn my nose up at something like Trevor Lawrence’s sunshine sub (turkey, fresh mozzarella, and avocado) for $3.49.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by javabytes
Slickdeals.com always has a Subway thread going with all the active codes. $3.49 6-inch or $5.99 footlong. (Latest: https://slickdeals.net/f/15813886-su...de-footlong599)

They’ve been using the same two sets of codes for over a year now, when one set expires the other reactivates, and they just repeat this back and forth. So once you’ve seen both sets of codes you’ve seen them all.

They work for the online vault subs too, which the franchisees probably hate. But if the alternative is McDonald’s, I won’t turn my nose up at something like Trevor Lawrence’s sunshine sub (turkey, fresh mozzarella, and avocado) for $3.49.
I always check there first Though I prefer the BOGO footlong deals when I can find them. I almost always order through the app so I can specify the toppings since I am counting calories. Sure they probably hate me for it, but it works.

-J.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always check there first Though I prefer the BOGO footlong deals when I can find them. I almost always order through the app so I can specify the toppings since I am counting calories. Sure they probably hate me for it, but it works.

-J.
Can’t you order Animal Style to cut down on carbs/calories?

Subway is certainly cheap, but the taste is just ho-hum. Got me jonesing for a Jersey Mike #13. Closest outlet is 8000 miles away.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Subway is certainly cheap, but the taste is just ho-hum. Got me jonesing for a Jersey Mike #13. Closest outlet is 8000 miles away.
They just opened a Jersey Mike's a couple of blocks from me. I still have to go try it.

-J.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 3:10 pm

You can order in a bowl or order as a salad.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They just opened a Jersey Mike's a couple of blocks from me. I still have to go try it.

-J.
Sign up for their birthday club. They give you a free standard sub, with points.
GW McLintock and TGarza like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 9:24 pm

Do you not have the app? (or is it only available in Canada)... ours has bi-weekly deals... some of them are good (eg, BOGO w/drink or BOG$1 w/drink) to some that aren't too bad (eg, 3 for $24.... which is pretty good when the sandwiches you order are $12-$13.50 each)
Old Jun 9, 2022, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I always go with chicken teriyaki on wheat bread. The local Subway near us closed during Covid and has never reopened.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I always go with chicken teriyaki on wheat bread. The local Subway near us closed during Covid and has never reopened.
There used to be a Subway a block away from me, but in recent years (pre-pandemic) the employees there just became very rude and the store was never clean. While I was sad to lose a Subway so close, those people were doing the brand a disservice and by that time I had stopped going there anyway. There are two other Subways, each about a mile from me, that are perfectly nice (there's actually a closer one but it's more of a mini-location and they never take coupons).

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.