Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever had a good sub at Subway?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Subway adds azodicarbonamide to their bread to strengthen it. It's a sketchy additive that hasn't been fully tested.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I haven't been in one for years. And I'm sure the last thing I ordered was tuna which is meh at best there. But, I was let down at Panera yesterday. First time ordering tuna there. It was soggy and bland. The bread was awesome. But the filling was more mayonnaise than anything else (which seems to consist of only tuna). I want onions and celery and pickles and I want to taste the tomato. The older I get, the more I disapprove of sandwiches someone else has made.
Panera has deteriorated severely over the past couple of years IMO.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
Panera has deteriorated severely over the past couple of years IMO.
It has gotten worse. We were in NC in April and I grabbed sandwiches from Atlanta Bread Company. I thought it reminded me of what Panera was once upon a time
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by kipper
Have you met some of the employees there? Do you think they can make fresh bread that isn't frozen bread dough?
Of course they could. There are chains here that make their own bread and they're staffed by the same sort of people who work at Subway.

Eg...

https://www.bakersdelight.com.au/pro...te-block-loaf/

No preservatives. It can't be that hard to make, can it?

Subway can add all these new ingredients, but the bread lets the whole side down, imo. It just reminds you that you're eating highly processed food.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Subway adds azodicarbonamide to their bread to strengthen it. It's a sketchy additive that hasn't been fully tested.

Azodicarbonamide, ADCA, ADA, or azo(bis)formamide, is a chemical compound with the molecular formula C2H4O2N4. It is a yellow to orange-red, odorless, crystalline powder. It is sometimes called a 'yoga mat' chemical because of its widespread use in foamed plastics
That explains the taste!
readywhenyouare and altabello like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by bensyd
Of course they could. There are chains here that make their own bread and they're staffed by the same sort of people who work at Subway.

Eg...

https://www.bakersdelight.com.au/pro...te-block-loaf/

No preservatives. It can't be that hard to make, can it?

Subway can add all these new ingredients, but the bread lets the whole side down, imo. It just reminds you that you're eating highly processed food.
Why is bread so expensive in Australia??!! Yes I know Baker's Delight, but use to use La Bon Choix when visiting Brisbane and it's sourdough was a bit cheaper than BD's.

Do BD's staff make the bread from scratch in each store? I thought they just heat up frozen dough like Subway does?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dddc
Why is bread so expensive in Australia??!! Yes I know Baker's Delight, but use to use La Bon Choix when visiting Brisbane and it's sourdough was a bit cheaper than BD's.

Do BD's staff make the bread from scratch in each store? I thought they just heat up frozen dough like Subway does?
I have no idea. I've probably been to Baker's Delight twice in my life, but the bread is infinitely better than Subway. I just assumed they were making it there. Five ingredients and no preservatives.

As to cost, it doesn't seem that expensive to me. Supermarket bread is ~$2-$2.50 for the same sort of thing.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I had a subway turkey foot long yesterday in ashford England. The bread option was called “hearty Italian” and it really was delicious.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 11:05 am

I’ve been going to subway for years and honestly I’d say it’s a 95% good deal. I have to agree that if the sandwich maker isn’t motivated then you’ll probably get a crappy sandwich. With that being said, has anyone ever been to a Jimmy Johns?

It’s the weirdest thing, they absolutely refuse to put salt on their sandwiches. I ordered a tune sandwich and asked if they could add some salt/pepper. They maker said “ due to corporate policy they cannot add salt/pepper “. I thought I was getting punked. Then he said I was free to add the salt/ pepper AFTER he made the sandwich. ... Over?

That’s why I go to subway now.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Lampsaw
... With that being said, has anyone ever been to a Jimmy Johns?

It’s the weirdest thing, they absolutely refuse to put salt on their sandwiches... Then he said I was free to add the salt/ pepper AFTER he made the sandwich. ... Over?

That’s why I go to subway now.
The JJ locations I’ve been to in Baltimore, Las Vegas, and Portland didn’t even have salt and pepper in packets or shakers. I started carrying around my own when I travel, just in case I go to JJs.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 9:17 am

I guess I should have asked the question, does anyone know why JJ’s refuses to add salt & pepper?
i just hope it’s not some corporate woke policy.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I typically get a sandwich (from Subway or JJ) that includes at least one kind of Italian cured meat. Even if it didn't, I couldn't imaging adding more salt to a sandwich--especially from a QSR.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Lampsaw
I guess I should have asked the question, does anyone know why JJ’s refuses to add salt & pepper?
i just hope it’s not some corporate woke policy.
It appears to be a corporate policy based on their thoughts on the quality of the bread.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I typically get a sandwich (from Subway or JJ) that includes at least one kind of Italian cured meat. Even if it didn't, I couldn't imaging adding more salt to a sandwich--especially from a QSR.
Oh, I could promise you that Subway doesn't have anything resembling Italian cured meat. Some of the meats have names that sound Italian, and look Italian ... as to the premise of the OP, I haven't been drunk enough in enough years to have had a good sub at Subway.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Oh, I could promise you that Subway doesn't have anything resembling Italian cured meat. Some of the meats have names that sound Italian, and look Italian ...
But you know what they don't lack? Salt.

Anyways. Good is relative. Does buying one once every few months get me to the next meal without food poisoning, without feeling bloated, and without being hungry 30 minutes later? The answer is yes, and that's good enough for me.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Sep 23, 2019 at 5:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.