Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever had a good sub at Subway?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I'm fine with Subway but prefer Jersey Mike's.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cholula
This
Subway isn't my first choice but there is some serious Subway hatred on here. And I think their bread is ok--7 grain wheat. But I do love a Jersey Mike's.
Nothing comes close to a Godmother sandwich at
Www.baycitiesitaliandeli.Com
Fortunately or unfortunately they are in Santa Monica which is a schlep or I would be there daily. The bread is in a class by itself.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 1:52 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Cholula
Jersey Mike's to me is a little overpriced and it takes so much longer because they're slicing the deli meat from scratch so that's why I rarely go there, but the sub sure is good.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by corky
This
Subway isn't my first choice but there is some serious Subway hatred on here. And I think their bread is ok--7 grain wheat. But I do love a Jersey Mike's.
Nothing comes close to a Godmother sandwich at
Www.baycitiesitaliandeli.Com
Fortunately or unfortunately they are in Santa Monica which is a schlep or I would be there daily. The bread is in a class by itself.
Jersey Mike's is awful. I gave them two tries, but both times were bland sandwiches and horrible bread (even worse than Subway). They have limited toppings and try to sell on this "freshly cut meats" spiel which is joke. It's water logged meats sitting in a gross plastic wrap.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had a jersey mikes today just to confirm my feelings. It was hella good. I love the oil/vinegar/herb combo. I had a roast beef & turkey & bacon. The bread was really fresh as were the veggies. I'm a jersey mike's gal--not going to doubt myself anymore.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:55 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by enviroian
Jersey Mike's is awful. I gave them two tries, but both times were bland sandwiches and horrible bread (even worse than Subway). They have limited toppings and try to sell on this "freshly cut meats" spiel which is joke. It's water logged meats sitting in a gross plastic wrap.
The fresh cut meats was indeed a joke when I went there.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Remember the $5 footlong specials they always used to advertise? They apparently became $6 footlongs sometime recently. I'm not sure they're worth the extra $1, to be honest.

These days I'll go to Which Wich or Jersey Mike's before going to Subway. I tried Firehouse a few times and felt that the portion sizes were too small for what they charge--and their BBQ brisket sandwich tasted a bit weird to me, too. The cranberry turkey one is the only one so far that I've found acceptable there.

Quiznos also used to be on the list but the ones closest to my work all closed. Probably for the best since the absolute closest one to work was one that wouldn't accept any corporate coupons for some reason. Ironically it became a Which Wich a short time after it closed.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BamaVol
What is it about "a little mustard" that Subway workers don't understand? Or mayonaise? I know they understand "little" - look at the meat and cheese - you can see through a slice of ham there.

I much prefer Quiznos or independent shops, but there's this Jared weight loss vibe and I really need to lose another 20 pounds.

Seriously, I'm sick of telling them to start over when they finish pouring a half cup of mustard on my 6" sub!
Never had this problem...ever.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by BamaVol
What is it about "a little mustard" that Subway workers don't understand? Or mayonaise? I know they understand "little" - look at the meat and cheese - you can see through a slice of ham there.

I much prefer Quiznos or independent shops, but there's this Jared weight loss vibe and I really need to lose another 20 pounds.

Seriously, I'm sick of telling them to start over when they finish pouring a half cup of mustard on my 6" sub!
Well if it is a calorie issue, I wouldn't worry about mustard. It has almost no calories (less than 20). Mayo on the other hand ...

I had a 12 inch turkey sub on wheat today at Subway. Was fine. Not great, but fine. 900 calories for lunch (and I skipped breakfast) so I'm good with it. Surprised at the sodium content when I looked it up. I'm assuming most of that comes from the bread.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redheadtempe33
I had a 12 inch turkey sub on wheat today at Subway. Was fine. Not great, but fine. 900 calories for lunch (and I skipped breakfast) so I'm good with it. Surprised at the sodium content when I looked it up. I'm assuming most of that comes from the bread.
Isn't that the one that's supposedly around ~550 calories? I know cheese doesn't count towards the calorie numbers they have on the menu but I didn't think cheese had that many calories in it.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Isn't that the one that's supposedly around ~550 calories? I know cheese doesn't count towards the calorie numbers they have on the menu but I didn't think cheese had that many calories in it.
It is the 6 inch vs. the 12. I'm sure they quote the 6 inch at around 550.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is the 6 inch vs. the 12. I'm sure they quote the 6 inch at around 550.
I took a look at their website and the 6" turkey initially clocks in at 280 calories (560 for 12"). Adding stuff, of course, increases that number.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 6:45 pm

I took a look at their website and the 6" turkey initially clocks in at 280 calories (560 for 12"). Adding stuff, of course, increases that number.
Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing, but if you are correct if would make me very happy

Last edited by redheadtempe33; Sep 5, 2016 at 7:06 pm
Old Sep 5, 2016, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing, but if you are correct if would make me very happy:

http://www.subway.com/en-us/menunutr...nuCategoryId=1 to be exact.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:06 pm

My screenshot didn't upload for some reason.

From your link, click "calculate yours" (on the far right).

Change to 12 inch, 9 grain wheat, with swiss and mayo (though I will be switching to the light mayo or mustard in the future ), and you will get to the 900 calories.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.