Ever had a good sub at Subway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever had a good sub at Subway?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This may sound crazy but the Subway BBQ Rib sandwiches are delicious. They were common in the northeast in the early 2000s then disappeared. They came back earlier this year (or maybe it was last year) and I really enjoy them. Sure it's a processed meat patty like McDonalds but you get better toppings and better bread. The nostalgia certainly helps I'll be honest.

Otherwise no, Subway sandwiches range from fine to okay.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by enviroian
I had a subway turkey foot long yesterday in ashford England. The bread option was called “hearty Italian” and it really was delicious.
Is it not available in the US anymore? Used to be my favorite, though I’ve never exactly visited frequently.

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

Subway adds azodicarbonamide to their bread to strengthen it. It's a sketchy additive that hasn't been fully tested.
They stopped doing this years ago.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 2, 2019 at 2:12 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Video of worker wiping the counter with dirty mop! All I can say is YUM!

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/09...shuts-it-down/
Old Sep 27, 2019, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Video of worker wiping the counter with dirty mop! All I can say is YUM!

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/09...shuts-it-down/

Videos like this have been posted for most chains.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: AA, Amex
Finally a topic I can weigh in on. I'll never be a Million Miler on any airline, but like anyone from NY/NJ I feel like I have Diamond Elite status for pizza and subs.

To the question at hand - a good sub at Subway? No. It's an impossibility. IMO that chain is fairly bottom of the barrel.

At best, any chain sub shop is going to be a "B" grade sandwich. If you want something legit, you gotta find a good local deli or similar. And if a perfect sub on delightfully crusty yet airy bread was like eating at a Michelin star restaurant in Rome, Subway would be like microwaving a can of Spaghetti-O's in comparison.

I'd give Jersey Mike's a solid "B" grade. Really not bad, I'm happy to give them my business particularly when traveling. If their bread was a little crustier they'd be in B+/A- territory. Quality bread makes or breaks a good sub and they fall just a little short.

Quiznos, Jimmy John's... C+/B- depending on the day. Nothing to write home about. I wouldn't consider Panera Bread a sub shop but they're in this tier as well. Willing to stop in if it's on the way.

Anything else, I pretty much avoid.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jerseytom
Finally a topic I can weigh in on. I'll never be a Million Miler on any airline, but like anyone from NY/NJ I feel like I have Diamond Elite status for pizza and subs.

To the question at hand - a good sub at Subway? No. It's an impossibility. IMO that chain is fairly bottom of the barrel.
I will challenge your statement by saying that there may, indeed, be a quantity of "not top shelf" alcohol one may consume before encountering a Subway that is open late, that makes this not quite the impossibility that you assert. [The "good news," at least for me, is that it has likely been 2 decades since I've had the above-described experience.]
84fiero likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 12:00 am

Nope. Never had a good sub at Subway, and I've had quite a few Subway sandwiches over the years. The only reason I eat there is that the alternative is a burger & fries or sometimes no other alternatives nearby.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Lunch today came from the Publix deli. A roast beef sub that was crammed with lettuce, tomato, onion, banana peppers, black olives and pickles. Dressed with olive oil, vinegar and oregano. What a difference. And you don’t have to beg anyone to fill the roll with veggies. They just do it.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Lunch today came from the Publix deli. A roast beef sub that was crammed with lettuce, tomato, onion, banana peppers, black olives and pickles. Dressed with olive oil, vinegar and oregano. What a difference. And you don’t have to beg anyone to fill the roll with veggies. They just do it.
Publix subs are the best, and you can order them with the App and have it ready before you get there. They are better because the bread is fresh baked daily in the bakery, the meats are sliced hourly by the deli staff, and the veggies are sliced every few hours from the produce section. My favorite is the Ultimate (Roast Beef, Turkey, and Ham) with LTO, Mayo, salt, and Vegetable Oil. on Italian Bread.

Wawa is opening a few stores here in South Florida, and they have good subs as well, but you can order only one meat through the kiosk. I like to have a few different types so I will get them once in a while when I am near one.
BamaVol likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 7:34 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by teddybear99
Publix subs are the best, and you can order them with the App and have it ready before you get there. They are better because the bread is fresh baked daily in the bakery, the meats are sliced hourly by the deli staff, and the veggies are sliced every few hours from the produce section. My favorite is the Ultimate (Roast Beef, Turkey, and Ham) with LTO, Mayo, salt, and Vegetable Oil. on Italian Bread.

Wawa is opening a few stores here in South Florida, and they have good subs as well, but you can order only one meat through the kiosk. I like to have a few different types so I will get them once in a while when I am near one.
Really? They don't have any with multiple options for meat?
Old Oct 27, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by kipper
Really? They don't have any with multiple options for meat?
At Wawa, in the kiosk, no. You have to ask for double meat in the kiosk with a "special request" selection. They will call you over when they are making it and ask what is the special request.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 8:53 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by teddybear99
At Wawa, in the kiosk, no. You have to ask for double meat in the kiosk with a "special request" selection. They will call you over when they are making it and ask what is the special request.
Hmm, I'll have to pay attention next time.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Been a Publix sandwich fan for years

I don't understand people who get Subway in the same strip mall as a Publix I've only needed to do that once as that was the only thing open in the area.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 5:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I spent all of Thursday craving a footlong Subway Club with provolone, lettuce, brown mustard, mayonnaise, cucumbers and bacon. I finally got it around 9 PM and it was the dryest thing imaginable. Ended my day on a really bad note.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I picked up lunch at Jimmy Johns today. Mrs BV has a small appetite. Their new $3 Little Jimmy (or is it Lil Jimmy) was the perfect size.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.