Ever had a good sub at Subway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever had a good sub at Subway?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I picked up lunch at Jimmy Johns today. Mrs BV has a small appetite. Their new $3 Little Jimmy (or is it Lil Jimmy) was the perfect size.
I'll have to look into that for days where I want something small for lunch as I assume they'll still deliver that.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Right now I am devouring a Publix meatball sub. It's a bit messy but delicious and pretty good value at $6.99 for a whole (looks like 10-12").

The sandwich maker tried to goad me into ordering cheese on it. I opted for black olives, green bell pepper and pickles. I don't think the pickles belong but I just love their pickles.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by teddybear99
Wawa is opening a few stores here in South Florida, and they have good subs as well, but you can order only one meat through the kiosk. I like to have a few different types so I will get them once in a while when I am near one.
Back in college, I had the closest dorm room on campus to the Wawa (which was not an accident). Back then they had some combo subs like ham and turkey as buttons on the menu. Have they gotten rid of those? I’m living in the Midwest now and I miss Wawa...

I’ve tried Subway again recently and found it tolerable as long as I’m willing to pay for ingredients to make it decent. The best sandwich I’ve put together recently is a turkey, bacon, cheddar with guacamole. Load it up with enough grease and then it doesn’t taste all dried out I guess haha... I thought no they’ve gotten better at toasting their bread too. 10 years ago the ends of the bread would have the consistency of croutons.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Justice has been served. The best bit about this is that Subway tries to market itself as a fresh healthy alternative to burgers. This probably should have never seen the inside of a courtroom because the brand damage this could do is surely worse than the VAT they might have had to pay in Ireland.

Ireland's Supreme Court has ruled that bread sold by fast food chain Subway contains so much sugar that it cannot be legally defined as bread.A panel of judges rejected the Irish chain's appeal ruling their bread contained too much sugar to be categorised as a "staple food", which is not taxed.

The law makes a distinction between "bread as a staple food" and other baked goods "which are, or approach, confectionery or fancy baked goods"

"There is no dispute that the bread supplied by Subway in its heated sandwiches has a sugar content of 10 per cent of the weight of the flour included in the dough, and thus exceeds the 2 per cent specified," the judgement read.

Subway disagreed with the characterisation in a statement.

"Subway's bread is, of course, bread," the company said in an email.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-...ntent/12724756
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Right now I am devouring a Publix meatball sub. It's a bit messy but delicious and pretty good value at $6.99 for a whole (looks like 10-12").

The sandwich maker tried to goad me into ordering cheese on it. I opted for black olives, green bell pepper and pickles. I don't think the pickles belong but I just love their pickles.
Yeah Publix sandwiches are some of the best. That's certainly an interesting combination for a meatball sub though...
Old Oct 4, 2020, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
The Subway Club is not half bad now that they’ve replaced the roast beef with bacon.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 3:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I regret not trying the lamb Subway sub in New Zealand years ago.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bensyd
Justice has been served. The best bit about this is that Subway tries to market itself as a fresh healthy alternative to burgers. This probably should have never seen the inside of a courtroom because the brand damage this could do is surely worse than the VAT they might have had to pay in Ireland.

Delighted to hear this. I have always regarded Subway’s sandwiches are disgusting.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Delighted to hear this. I have always regarded Subway’s sandwiches are disgusting.
Eh, there are far bigger problems with Subway's food than the amount of sugar in the bread. I'd rather hear about how much water and filler they've injected in their meat. Subway's bread has a plastic like texture so I'd say there are bigger issues than sugar content. There are also many fine establishments using breads with high sugar content like brioche for sandwiches. So while their bread certainly isn't good, it would be hypocritical to point a finger at Subway for this reason.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 12:52 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
I have actually fallen in love with Jimmy John's bread. They slice their meat multiple times daily so it's very fresh and their subs are very basic, no wonder they can make them very quick.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by teddybear99
I have actually fallen in love with Jimmy John's bread. They slice their meat multiple times daily so it's very fresh and their subs are very basic, no wonder they can make them very quick.
I used to order from Jimmy John's fairly frequently when I was in the office. It was usually quick and they delivered, so it was great for when I couldn't really get away for long. I think I've ordered from there once since I haven't been in the office, because now I have to drive to pick it up and there are so many better options.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by bensyd

Kind of like the drug dealers that don't get busted for dealing drugs, but for tax evasion.
BamaVol and bensyd like this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Having grown up in the land of the Hoagie I can emphatically say, NO. My comment after my first Subway sandwich many years ago was, "It's amazing what they can do with plastics these days"

Nothing beats a local Phila. area sandwich shop with Amoroso's bread and the correct oil. Lee's Hoagie House would be a good Phila. area chain. Barring that, if you are in the Eastern Mid-Atlantic or Florida,go to a Wawa.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by AMflier
Having grown up in the land of the Hoagie I can emphatically say, NO. My comment after my first Subway sandwich many years ago was, "It's amazing what they can do with plastics these days"

Nothing beats a local Phila. area sandwich shop with Amoroso's bread and the correct oil. Lee's Hoagie House would be a good Phila. area chain. Barring that, if you are in the Eastern Mid-Atlantic or Florida,go to a Wawa.
When I'm out near Philly for more than a few hours and don't have plans to meet friends, I try to hit up a Lee's Hoagie House for a meal.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 2:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Had my first sub / wrap from Subway in decades last Saturday . It was , surprisingly , actually delicious !
My meal was roast beef with cheddar , lettuce and with cucumber on as garnishing with mayo , bbq & drop of ketchup ..
Came with 2 cookies ( chose chocolate chip & new chocolate mint chip ) and iced tea .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.