Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever had a good sub at Subway?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2022, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Jersey Mike's is by far the best of the three major fast food sandwich chains (Subway, Jimmy Johns, Jersey Mikes), but that is not saying much. They all pale in comparison to a real NYC metro area deli (Jewish or Italian). Good delis are the thing I miss the most about living in Indiana.
corky and work2fly like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Jersey Mike's is by far the best of the three major fast food sandwich chains (Subway, Jimmy Johns, Jersey Mikes), but that is not saying much. They all pale in comparison to a real NYC metro area deli (Jewish or Italian). Good delis are the thing I miss the most about living in Indiana.
My favorite culinary experiences in NYC were the delis.
PresRDC and GW McLintock like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by braslvr
My favorite culinary experiences in NYC were the delis.
While delis are consistently good, the sandwiches and menus themselves are not consistent. That's probably my biggest draw to places like Subway -- I always know exactly what I'm getting, no matter the location.

-J.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
The California Club has been on their online app for as long as I’ve been ordering.
I didnt see it on their in restaurant menu so assumed it was a 'special'.

Either way, it's a good sandwich.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 5:08 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
If you ever find yourself next door in Ohio, both Columbus and Cleveland have pretty good delis that I could recommend.

​​​​​​
Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:30 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
We are finally getting a Jersey Mike's opening in the area where I work and can get timely deliveries. Also close enough that I can go to on my lunch time to pick it up in person. I stopped by as it looked like it was open last week and was told it would be another two weeks before it would be. The manager asked me how many people worked at my location and gave some coupon cards for a free sub with a drink purchase to use when they open.

After all the hype I hear about their subs, I hope I won't be disappointed.

On a different subject and back on topic of this thread, my wife asks me to stop almost every day to pick up a tuna on spinach wrap. She no longer will eat their bread after reading the controversies about the ingredients in their bread. She will only eat tuna, no meats anymore. I will pick up the standard Turkey wrap once in a while or a Steak-n-Cheese sub when I do decide to go there, but most of the time I will go to Publix and get her wrap there instead. It costs more, but I believe the quality is better as she notices the difference when I give it to her.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by teddybear99
We are finally getting a Jersey Mike's opening in the area where I work and can get timely deliveries. Also close enough that I can go to on my lunch time to pick it up in person. I stopped by as it looked like it was open last week and was told it would be another two weeks before it would be. The manager asked me how many people worked at my location and gave some coupon cards for a free sub with a drink purchase to use when they open.

After all the hype I hear about their subs, I hope I won't be disappointed.

On a different subject and back on topic of this thread, my wife asks me to stop almost every day to pick up a tuna on spinach wrap. She no longer will eat their bread after reading the controversies about the ingredients in their bread. She will only eat tuna, no meats anymore. I will pick up the standard Turkey wrap once in a while or a Steak-n-Cheese sub when I do decide to go there, but most of the time I will go to Publix and get her wrap there instead. It costs more, but I believe the quality is better as she notices the difference when I give it to her.
I’m a fan of their #13 Italian cold sub, and #56 Big Kahuna hot sub, if you like jalapeños. The #66 Portobello mushroom cheese steak is nice, too.

I buy the Giant size most of the time, as they’re cheaper by size, and easy to share. Make sure you sign up for the online loyalty club. You get a free regular sub for your birthday, by giving you reward points in your account you can use anytime. They have frequent $1-2 off coupons, double points earning days, and gift card promos around Black Friday.

There is a Subway near our nearest Jersey Mikes. Even at 2 footlongs for $6 at Subway, I refuse to eat there. No comparison.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I’m a fan of their #13 Italian cold sub, and #56 Big Kahuna hot sub, if you like jalapeños. The #66 Portobello mushroom cheese steak is nice, too.

I buy the Giant size most of the time, as they’re cheaper by size, and easy to share. Make sure you sign up for the online loyalty club. You get a free regular sub for your birthday, by giving you reward points in your account you can use anytime. They have frequent $1-2 off coupons, double points earning days, and gift card promos around Black Friday.

There is a Subway near our nearest Jersey Mikes. Even at 2 footlongs for $6 at Subway, I refuse to eat there. No comparison.
I made the mistake of looking at their menu before eating breakfast. Now I think I'm going to have to try the one a few miles from the house.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Jersey Mike's is at the bottom for me. The meat sits in a water logged plastic wrap sleeve (gross) and they have limited sandwich toppings. Very bland sandwich.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Jersey Mike's is at the bottom for me. The meat sits in a water logged plastic wrap sleeve (gross) and they have limited sandwich toppings. Very bland sandwich.
Jersey Mike’s is the same as any other deli with the meat sliced to order. Firehouse with the amount of condiments used in a sandwich is the worst.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sliced meat to order is always good for me. In the end, I go by taste, and Jersey Mikes wins big for me. I wish Subway did it for me, as they’re much cheaper with coupons.

20-30 years ago, I used to buy an entertainment book each year to use other sub places coupons at Subway or Blimpies. Gotta love, “we take any competitors coupons”!
TGarza likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Not sure how you compare a fast food sub shop to a NYC deli. Wouldn't the comparison to a NY deli be something like Jason's Deli (and granted, the chain would still suffer by comparison)?

BTW, I'll take Potbelly over the other sub chains but then I lived up the street from the original in Chicago and the nostalgia may cloud my thoughts.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Not sure how you compare a fast food sub shop to a NYC deli. Wouldn't the comparison to a NY deli be something like Jason's Deli (and granted, the chain would still suffer by comparison)?

BTW, I'll take Potbelly over the other sub chains but then I lived up the street from the original in Chicago and the nostalgia may cloud my thoughts.
There really isn't a comparison, but if you live in the Midwest, you take what you can get. I make better sandwiches at home than any option available to me, but that's not always an option.
braslvr likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 4:58 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Sliced meat to order is always good for me. In the end, I go by taste, and Jersey Mikes wins big for me. I wish Subway did it for me, as they’re much cheaper with coupons.

20-30 years ago, I used to buy an entertainment book each year to use other sub places coupons at Subway or Blimpies. Gotta love, “we take any competitors coupons”!
I tried Jersey Mike's yesterday. The sub was good, although I was disappointed that, when ordering online, customization options were minimal. Likewise, while good, the value was lacking. I can get a sub of close to the same quality, in a larger size, for a similar price, at a local pizza place.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
I tried Jersey Mike's yesterday. The sub was good, although I was disappointed that, when ordering online, customization options were minimal. Likewise, while good, the value was lacking. I can get a sub of close to the same quality, in a larger size, for a similar price, at a local pizza place.
I always use the comment section for any other customizations. I don’t like a lot of lettuce on cold subs, especially if I’m not going to eat it all the first day. Gets kind of wilted the 2nd or 3rd day.

We only have sub chains in my neighborhood. Panera, Subway, Jersey Mike’s. I’d love to have an independent one nearby. I’ve gotten some decent sandwiches at an Italian place in central Scottsdale, but it’s way out of my normal stomping grounds.

You should be glad you’ve got other good options!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.