Search

Ever had a good sub at Subway?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Ever had a good sub at Subway?

What is it about "a little mustard" that Subway workers don't understand? Or mayonaise? I know they understand "little" - look at the meat and cheese - you can see through a slice of ham there.

I much prefer Quiznos or independent shops, but there's this Jared weight loss vibe and I really need to lose another 20 pounds.

Seriously, I'm sick of telling them to start over when they finish pouring a half cup of mustard on my 6" sub!
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:48 am

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
I've had experiences with Subway that are good and bad. It all really depends on your request. As for the weight loss bit Subway has been pitching (great marketing BTW), what they don't tell you is that when Jared was on the "subway diet", he would walk from his apartment and take a roundabout route (30 min to an hour) to the subway, eat there, and walk the same route back. Eating a reduced calorie meal alone isn't going to help you loose weight. Another suggestion that I've been using for almost my entire life is drink a glass (16 oz) of iced water before the meal and eat until full (obviously not junk food). The water has a filling effect on the stomach.

Togo's (west coast based chain) has excellent subs also.

Good luck on the 20 lbs.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by party_boy
I've had experiences with Subway that are good and bad. It all really depends on your request. As for the weight loss bit Subway has been pitching (great marketing BTW), what they don't tell you is that when Jared was on the "subway diet", he would walk from his apartment and take a roundabout route (30 min to an hour) to the subway, eat there, and walk the same route back. Eating a reduced calorie meal alone isn't going to help you loose weight. Another suggestion that I've been using for almost my entire life is drink a glass (16 oz) of iced water before the meal and eat until full (obviously not junk food). The water has a filling effect on the stomach.

Togo's (west coast based chain) has excellent subs also.

Good luck on the 20 lbs.
Yeah, I read the fine print and know that 290 calories doesn't include cheese or high-calorie condiments either. Actually, I could lose weight eating 3 six inch subs a day without exercising. The general rule of 15 calories a day per pound of body weight to maintain gives me a lot of calories. I walk my 30 minutes before lunch. Myth or not, I've been told that you burn calories faster within an hour after exercise.

I've dropped from 209 in October to 189 this week, but the reality is that I weighed under 140 as a young man. So, another 20 is imperative. Unfortunately, Subway is the closest restaurant to work and a lower calorie option than most.

I know Togos. There was one in the local mall when I lived on the west coast. I'd order a sub and watch the Hot Dog on a Stick girl next door jiggle a fresh vat of lemonade. Dinner and a show!
Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:38 pm

I've also had good and bad experiences with Subway. Some stores are horrible and other stores are great. Seems paradoxical when they are all supposed to be using the same ingredients.

When you do lose your weight, make sure you are doing the work to keep it off. Losing weight is one thing, but keeping it off is another. (I can't say this from personal experience, only the experience of people around me)
Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
It really depends on two things:

1. The attitude of the franchise owner; and
2. How frequent of a customer you become.

When I lived in my apartment, I would frequent one particular Subway on average of once/week, often for Sunday "brunch." The service was great, they didn't mince on the veggies, they kept the place very clean. About six months before I moved, a Subway opened less than a block away. I went in that place a couple of times, and the attitude/service was atrocious. So I started going back to the other place, even though it was a two mile drive.

Now, I have a Subway four blocks from me, but I've never been there. I have better food options, including a Mexican place in the same plaza. But I do have three BOGO coupons from my Entertainment book, so maybe I'll try them this weekend.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:59 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
the meatball sub, not much else if anything at Subway I like.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 5:25 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, US Air Dividend Miles
Occasionally, I am able to get a good sub at Subway. It is true, it varies from store to store. It also helps not to go crazy with a variety of toppings!!
Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:33 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by BamaVol
...pouring a half cup of mustard on my 6" sub!
My pet peeve too! Six inch BMT, just meat and cheese and a little mustard. No veggies, no oil, nothing else. Not a very difficult order.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 8:04 pm

The sweet onion chicken teriyaki is always good, assuming they dont' skimp on the meat. The only one I ever go to is in the hospital, which means they have a massive throughput at lunch. Where there used to be the order line conveyor belt style like other subways, there are now three computers that handle everything but ordering cookies. Toppings, condiments, etc are ordered there. Given the number of illegals, kids, elderly, and just plain stupid people trying to order, the whole thing is chaos. And one can no longer get 'a little more spinach' or a 'bit of pepper' withought fighting to get up to the front. But then they have no idea which sandwich is yours.
....ty
and the chicken parmesian sucks
long story short, i don't like subway anymore
Old Jan 26, 2006, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Just came from a subway, person in front of me orders hers with "a little mustard and a little mayo", sandwich artist puts in two strings of mustard and mayo and person goes "a little more mayo" so it's hard to gauge what some people consider a little or a lot after making a bunch of sandwiches in a day. What I can't stand is having to repeat my order multiple times.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 8:45 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
When I use to eat there, I always got a tuna with pickles, olives, and cheese. Don't know why, but I totally loved that sub.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Be very specific when ordering. When i'm getting a sub, I say things like "one short line of mayo" or "only two shakes of pepper", not "a little" or "some".

Oh, and I wish they'd offer a less-thick bread (not a wrap)
Old Jan 27, 2006, 1:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Wasn't Subway the original home of the Wish sandwich.....

A wish sandwich is the kind of a sandwich where you have twooooo slices of bread and you, hee, hee, hee, wish you had some meat! Bow bow bow.

(From the song Rubber Biscuit as featured in The Blues Brothers)
Old Jan 27, 2006, 2:13 pm

After starting a diet earlier this month, I went to Subway since their turkey sandwhich is pretty low in calories, even with added cheese. However, I was pretty dissapointed when that 6 inch sub had just 3 thin slices of turkey.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 2:56 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by forecheck
After starting a diet earlier this month, I went to Subway since their turkey sandwhich is pretty low in calories, even with added cheese. However, I was pretty dissapointed when that 6 inch sub had just 3 thin slices of turkey.
and don't take a good look at the meats that Subway uses.

I used to sell deli meat and can assure anyone that what Subway uses is JUST BARELY considered meat, most of it is water.

Certainly not the quality that I'm going to purchase when buying a deli sandwich.

--

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.