Search

Ever had a good sub at Subway?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2006, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by suthurn
Too often I've had BamaVol's problem of not getting a "little" mayo or mustard, so now I just go without. I even tried asking for little thin lines of mayo and spicy mustard but the tips of their squeeze bottles are cut too wide and just cannot deliver a thin stream.
Why can't these people be bartenders?
Old Feb 7, 2006, 2:41 pm

Programs: HH Gold
Originally Posted by USCGamecock
The only one I like is the (grilled) chicken breast sandwich. At least you get a good amount of chicken along with everything else.
If I'm in a rush for lunch, I'll get the sweet onion chicken teriyaki. It comes with a decent amount of chicken as well. The chicken has a pretty high amount of sodium in it. However, I load it up with veggies and probably come out better than I would eating somewhere like McDonalds.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 4:27 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Red face

Originally Posted by suthurn
au contraire mon cher! Gimme the 6" parmesean herb bread loaded with BMT+cheese, plenty of veggies, and a sprinkle of salt & pepper. Too often I've had BamaVol's problem of not getting a "little" mayo or mustard, so now I just go without. I even tried asking for little thin lines of mayo and spicy mustard but the tips of their squeeze bottles are cut too wide and just cannot deliver a thin stream.

This thread gives me a serious craving for an oyster or shrimp po-boy. Has Bozo's in Pascagoula reopened yet? Best wishes on the weight loss!
You can get this _exact_ sub here in Canada at Subway. They do have the bread you wanted out here in Alberta.

Sanosuke!
Old Feb 8, 2006, 1:50 pm

A friend swears by the veggie pattie with Southwest sauce (personally can't stand that one).

The chicken and spinach salad is ok by me, as is the grilled chicken with honey mustard. Can't stand the teriyaki- too sweet for me.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 1:45 pm

Subway is all right, definitely depends on the location. 1 out of 4 comes close. I prefer the Club. Each location has a different idea as to the portions.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:18 pm

Location: MEM -- ex-DL PLT, then NW PLT by choice, now DL again.
I hate Subway. HATE 'em. Of course, I am spoiled by the northern New England "italian sandwich", which has no lettuce ... not even as an option. Instead, it has lots of meat, cheese, onions, tomatoes, greek black olives (the secret to success!), and oil, salt, & pepper thrown on top.

You can't get those sandwiches in many places, but give me an Amato's Italian every time I'm home. Subway has apparently even given them tribute, saying that their founder worked at Amatos and learned how to make sandwiches there, at "the Original Home of the Italian".

Too bad he didn't pay attention. *bleh*
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
I like Subway for a few things. I like the tuna with a little cheese and olives. I also get the chicken bacon ranch EXCEPT I have them put the chipotle sauce on it. Yummy!

Given a preference, I lean towards Quizno's now. They have bread bowls that are like butter.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:31 am

Programs: Super-Titanium member of the Gate Roach program. :P
I'm lucky in that one of the busiest Subways in the state is near me. Since it's so busy, the meats, breads, etc. are fresh and if I go at the right time, I can avoid the lines. I usually get the veggie patty or the tuna and load them up with veggies (the biggest plus of Subway is that they don't skimp on the veggies). Sometimes I'll get their chicken bacon ranch instead.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:11 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Some other impressive stuff
Quiznos vs Subway

I don't care for either one, but I will grab a sandwich at Subway because it's right next door to my hotel. It's owned by an Indian couple and the place is very clean. Absentee owner at the local Quizno's and it shows. The one and only time I ate there the guy who handled the money made my sandwich WITHOUT GLOVES!

First and last time, and yes I did eat the sandwich. They always have the disposable gloves on at Subway, but I agree the sandwiches are marginal.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by frequentfoulup
I don't care for either one, but I will grab a sandwich at Subway because it's right next door to my hotel. It's owned by an Indian couple and the place is very clean. Absentee owner at the local Quizno's and it shows. The one and only time I ate there the guy who handled the money made my sandwich WITHOUT GLOVES!

First and last time, and yes I did eat the sandwich. They always have the disposable gloves on at Subway, but I agree the sandwiches are marginal.
Yes, they always have the disposable gloves on, but sometimes the training is so poor or the employee so stupid, they don't know the REASON for the gloves. In a Subway in Springfield, IL, I was treated to the sight of the employee making the sandwich with the gloves and then keeping the gloves on to take cash at the register and then back to making sandwiches. I guess the gloves were to keep the nasty bread and meat off the hands and not to get dirty from the money. Needless to say, I left.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Gold, Sixt Platinum,
semi healthy but not delicious

I've never been impressed with a subway sub unless i want a lot of bread and few many toppings... I'd much rather go to Quiznos or Panera Bread for a great sandwich/sub... I'll still eat at Subway but I usually go elsewhere for a killer sub.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:59 am

Programs: Delta. Silver
Ever had a good sub at Subway?

God, you are spoiled! I only have the chance to travel to the U.S. twice a year on vacation. Your food, both sit down and 'take away' is superb, across the board. The quality, price and value are just so far in advance of here, it always astonishes me that tourists from the U.S. to here have the energy to get back to the airport. We have a 'Subway' here. The quality is vastly inferior to any I have ever eaten stateside, and naturaly about 40% more expensive.Hopefully I shall continue to enjoy your food for a few more years yet.
Best Wishes to all

Roger
Old Feb 23, 2006, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by duckhook503
God, you are spoiled! I only have the chance to travel to the U.S. twice a year on vacation. Your food, both sit down and 'take away' is superb, across the board. The quality, price and value are just so far in advance of here, it always astonishes me that tourists from the U.S. to here have the energy to get back to the airport. We have a 'Subway' here. The quality is vastly inferior to any I have ever eaten stateside, and naturaly about 40% more expensive.Hopefully I shall continue to enjoy your food for a few more years yet.
Best Wishes to all

Roger
Roger,

I am sincerely sorry for you if Subway is better than most of what you can order in local restaurants. We may well be spoiled, but all things are relative, aren't they. With so many superior choices, Subway just naturally falls to the bottom of the list. I understand buying from Subway when you're home, but please branch out here - Quizno's and Blimpie are better (don't buy a pre-made Blimpie from a gas station or airport, though, and make sure they add pickled peppers to your sandwich). And then, there are many thousands of independent sub/sandwich shops that absolutely blow away anything you will get at a chain outlet. Explore, experiment, enjoy!
Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:04 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by stemor
...You can't get those sandwiches in many places, but give me an Amato's Italian every time I'm home...
LOL. I love the sandwiches on the East Coast. Spent some time in Scotland, CT in what seems like a lifetime ago. On the way out from Willimantic, there is a grinder shop in Boudreaux's Grocery. Fresh in from Texas...you know...cowboy hat, boots, etc....

Me: So what's good?
Deli guy: You should try the Italian.
Me: So what's on it?
Deli guy: So what do I look like? A menu?
Me: (looking at menu) Oil? Don't you have mayonnaise?
Deli guy: On an Italian? Get bent!!!

I finally settled on a roast beef grinder with some familiar toppings. But, I have to admit that I developed a fondness for all kinds of East Coast sandwiches while I was up there.

I can't get too excited about Subway. The wife loves them, but for me there are just a lot better sandwich shops around town. My favorite here in Austin is Delaware Sub. I can relive just about anything I might miss on the East Coast there.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:34 pm

Programs: CO PPlus, Amex Platinum, DL Silver Medallion, HHonors Gold
Starwood,

I appreciate your proper use of the word "grinder".

Unfortunately, a good italian grinder's hard to come by in Houston....the one at Jersey Mike's is about as close as I've found here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.