Wiki Posts
Search

DoorDash, Postmates, GrubHub, UberEats, Eat24 & Other Meal Delivery Services

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
I've never used any 3rd party delivery service and never will due to my paranoia of my food being tampered with. Reading the Uber eats reddit did nothing to put my mind at ease with all the drivers complaining about nobody tipping and one admitting to bringing his own straw and skimming food and drink from people's orders from resaurants that didnt seal up the bag. We all hear stories from time to time of delivery drivers tampering with food, and thats just the ones that get caught. Call me paranoid but I'm too weary of letting a stranger be alone with my food in their car.
Since you offered, you're being paranoid.

You can tip the driver when you place the order. The bags are all zipped up by the restaurant and in the back of the car. The driver makes money by speedy service, and they're focused on getting your food to you. I actually trust those restaurant based drivers less. I live across from a popular pizza joint, and some of their drivers are sketchy. What are 3rd party driver's motivation to tamper with my food? Why would they want to kill me? If just makes no sense. The pick up the food, rush to my door as fast as they possibly can, deliver it and they're off to their next stop. End of story.
obscure2k and Mendobrew like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
What's the difference between DoorDash, UberEats, Grubhub, etc. etc.?

I have used UberEats and Grubhub in the past but with the news of the Chase Sapphire Reserve free delivery option coming for DoorDash I have to wonder what the difference is between all of these delivery services. I know that certain restaurants might only work with certain services but is that the main differences between them? It also seems like DoorDash has more low-end fast food options that Grubhub and/or Ubereats. Or am I missing something? Will the prices for places that work with all the services be different from site to site?

Like I said, I have mainly used Grubhub due to the AMEX Gold $10 a month credit but now I need to figure out DoorDash.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:13 pm

Experiences vary by location I assume but in the SF Bay Area where I've used delivery services prolifically in the past year as I don't cook:

DoorDash: the most restaurants, reasonably fast delivery, good customer support, but I avoid using this app because total fees are higher than UE and the drivers always arrive at the back entrance of my apartment complex even though I input the front office address. And, yes, I do specify in the delivery instructions to please meet me at the front leasing office - and I have had multiple drivers call me and ask me what is a leasing office.

Uber Eats: many restaurants, the fastest delivery, frequent discounts, and outstanding real-time tracking of the driver from the delivery acceptance --> restaurant arrival --> delivery to you. Better hope nothing goes wrong because the customer support is a nightmare. Unlike DD, however, drivers always arrive at the front of my apartment as I request, and 85% of the time there is no issue with my food. The other 15% I chuck the entire delivery bag in the trash, suck up the loss, and re-order.

Grubhub: few restaurants, slow delivery, no GPS tracking -- I only use it for the AMEX credit -- the convenience of DD or UE is just so much greater.
christianj, boxo and miles4CDG like this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 5:03 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
My experience in the Boston area:

DoorDash: They are the worst. I only use them because the Chipotle app offers delivery, and DoorDash is their delivery partner. I can see that my order is ready, and that a Dasher is assigned to pick up my food. Then, it assigns a different dasher. Repeat 3-4 times and I start wondering whether my food will arrive warm. Sometimes the drivers are rude. DoorDash is useless, and I feel bad complaining to Chipotle (where they're always generous with compensation) because it's mostly not their fault.
UberEats: Best variety in my area. As others have mentioned, customer service is trash, but, they do have self-help menus. If I'm not satisfied with an item (ie doesn't match description) or didn't receive an item I ordered, the automated system simply refunds me for them with no human intervention needed. If the restaurant gets my order wrong, then sometimes it takes a customer service rep to fix, but I haven't had any issues that haven't been fixed to my satisfaction yet.
GrubHub: I was disappointed when Foodler was bought out by Grubhub. Grubhub isn't too bad, but I've had a few issues where I essentially had to threaten Grubhub telling them that the had one last chance to make things right before I go to the credit card dispute route. GrubHub was one of the original players in this industry, and unfortunately, they're also the dying dinosaur.
miles4CDG likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by christianj
I have used UberEats and Grubhub in the past but with the news of the Chase Sapphire Reserve free delivery option coming for DoorDash I have to wonder what the difference is between all of these delivery services. I know that certain restaurants might only work with certain services but is that the main differences between them? It also seems like DoorDash has more low-end fast food options that Grubhub and/or Ubereats. Or am I missing something? Will the prices for places that work with all the services be different from site to site?

Like I said, I have mainly used Grubhub due to the AMEX Gold $10 a month credit but now I need to figure out DoorDash.
DoorDash gives their deliverers a pretty raw deal when it comes to tipping, (i.e. when they agree to a delivery, it comes with a set payout that doesn't increase if they get a good tip; have to tip in cash to bypass this), so we don't use them. Other than that, they aren't too different. You may find as other posters have that your local area has more or fewer places on one of the platforms. I also have noticed that the prices vary slightly for the same delivery across platforms (including a restaurant's own site if they offer delivery). UberEats in particular tends to be higher but on occasion Grubhub will be.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 3:32 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by tmiw
My friend drove for DoorDash for a bit. Apparently he was given so few deliveries that it wasn't worthwhile for him to continue--and this was in a college area too (where one would think they'd get a good chunk of business from students). I'm betting they're having driver shortages in a lot of other locations too, which would explain their difficulty in delivering on time.
Speaking for SoCal too, the screwups were in the fullfillment end, not the ontime delivery end
Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Two months of Postmates Unlimited for free. Use promo code ATTTHANKS. I believe it's for new and existing customers.
obscure2k likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 12:21 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I messaged a handful of friends last night looking for a Grubhub referral and only one friend came through.

I haven't used any of the food delivery services before and only subscribe to Uber Eats by default. Wanting to support the restaurants in town, I am going to start ordering food at least twice a week through this pandemic. I bought Grubhub and Uber gift cards using the 20% off Discover redemption promo and am ready to give this a try.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by boxo
I messaged a handful of friends last night looking for a Grubhub referral and only one friend came through.

I haven't used any of the food delivery services before and only subscribe to Uber Eats by default. Wanting to support the restaurants in town, I am going to start ordering food at least twice a week through this pandemic. I bought Grubhub and Uber gift cards using the 20% off Discover redemption promo and am ready to give this a try.
LOL, you should've messaged me. I would've sent you a a referral for Grubhub, DoorDash, etc.
boxo likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:00 am

This is a stupid question, but... Do these service apps allow rating / tipping after the delivery is made like Uber after the ride is done?
Old May 14, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

You may know this already, but for the sake of saying it, check the restaurant web sites first to see if they delivery. There will still be plenty that don't, where you'll get to use the gift cards. The delivery services charge the restaurants exorbitant rates to deliver, and at least a portion of these are usually passed on to the customer. Neither you nor the restaurant win, as they are likely absorbing some of that fee too. So the best support you can give a restaurant is to order directly from them and tip their delivery driver or pick up your order yourself. Or use your gift cards first and then order direct .

Plus, it's more satisfying. Last night at my local Greek place, I picked up dinner from the old Greek man who owns the place. He said "thanks for your business", and I said "thanks for staying open through all this". I think he was surprised, and his voice shook a little when he simply replied "thank you".
SanDiego1K and boxo like this.
Old May 14, 2020, 5:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This is a stupid question, but... Do these service apps allow rating / tipping after the delivery is made like Uber after the ride is done?
Postmates does. Uber Eats allows you to pre tip but gives you a window afterwards to adjust that tip.
boxo and wrp96 like this.
Old May 15, 2020, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I use uber eats 3-4 times a week and love it. I like the ability to track the car too.
boxo likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I've used DoorDash twice. I'm loving it, because where I live, many of the restaurants would not otherwise deliver to me.
Old May 15, 2020, 1:12 pm

I made my first food delivery order. Grubhub has a $10 off $30 participating restaurants promo. It's unclear to me if this is a first time only/new customer or a multiple use promo. I've seen it worded both ways. The 20% tip amount was auto set at $8.18 and I left it alone. The enchiladas, chicken mole, and chile verde should be here in an hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.