Reload this Page >

DoorDash, Postmates, GrubHub, UberEats, Eat24 & Other Meal Delivery Services

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoorDash, Postmates, GrubHub, UberEats, Eat24 & Other Meal Delivery Services

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2016, 11:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Ah, good to know; thanks for the info!
Old Dec 26, 2016, 11:32 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ThatAdamGuy
Ah, good to know; thanks for the info!
To expand a little, I've treated Uber Eats just like I would an Uber ride. I don't tip and people don't ask me for one. Amazon Prime OTOH, has a specific line for you to enter tip when ordering. But they make it clear that tip is optional.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 11:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Yep, makes sense. I installed and checked out UberEats and I've checked out Amazon PrimeNow in the past. I refuse to use the latter not only because of my moral qualms about how Amazon pays & treats their workers, but also because I was shocked and annoyed to see a $20 tip suggested (and automatically added) for the potential delivery of a small $200 fitness watch. (Yes, I realize that I could have reduced or eliminated that tip, but it's the principle of the matter that goes beyond just crappy algorithms)
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:52 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by obscure2k
I used DoorDash a couple of times a week for about 2 years. Thought it was an excellent service and offered a wide variety of restaurants. When I started using them they were relatively new. I finally threw in the towel and started using Postmates. One thing I liked about DoorDash was the ability to plan the delivery in advance. I could select a time even a day ahead and could rely on the order arriving on time. They have completely fallen apart. The last few months I have received so many credits for their screw ups that I can't see how they are making money.
PostMates does not offer advance ordering but they are very very reliable. I can only speak for area in Southern California. Have no idea how they fare outside of my zip code. Another thing to consider is that DoorDash expects you to add a tip when you place the order. PostMates sends an immediate email or text as soon as the order is delivered offering the option add the tip and rate your driver .
Postmates has a bit of a scam going. Received email that I was getting 60% off next delivery and just had to enter code. Placed order. They doubled their usual delivery charge and now we are supposed to feel good about 60% off.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:33 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Postmates has a bit of a scam going. Received email that I was getting 60% off next delivery and just had to enter code. Placed order. They doubled their usual delivery charge and now we are supposed to feel good about 60% off.
The same thing happened to me last week
Old Jan 26, 2017, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
I have used UberEats a few times, what I didn't like (but could get past) was the limited options available (at least for the time being) and the lack of options at the available restaurants. For example at Moe's, I could order a bowl with veggies or a bowl with meat, but not both. Delivery and communication was flawless and the drivers were very friendly.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
In South Florida, McDonald's has now teamed up with UberEats so you can now get your fast food delivered through them.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by United747
To expand a little, I've treated Uber Eats just like I would an Uber ride. I don't tip and people don't ask me for one.
Just ordered from UberEats for the first time and wondered about tipping. I knew FT would have the answer for me.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
App delivery - caviar, door dash, post mates, etc

I love caviar for delivery. They have a service fee and I give the actual courier a $10 note or $7 if it's closer to $40 overall. But I appreciate these delivery services when we don't feel like cooking or leaving the house. Plus I sometimes discover new restaurants! I've had less interest with other food apps.
Anyway are there reasons why people dislike delivery apps?? What am I missing?

i still sometimes use eat24 with those restaurants that have their own built-in delivery crew.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
I use GrubHub for work fairly often. If I am having a working lunch meeting, or if we have customers in the office, i will order food with Grubhub. It makes it easy to select from a variety of restaurants and their delivery people have a great setup to keep large amounts of food warm.

I will use UberEats when I’m traveling to different offices since I won’t know the local options. I can get something that looks good and has good reviews delivered easily.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Here in YYC it's always a $10 bill by the time you get something delivered and tip the driver, regardless of which service you use.

If it is a $20-30 pizza I asked for (which is normally the case) I am not going to pay 33-50% more. I just go and pick it up, or eat in the restaurant.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I've yet to use any of these services because the delivery costs turn me off. Understand that I'd usually be ordering for myself, maybe a +1, and adding $10+ to an order just isn't worth it. Plus, waiting who-knows-how-long for the delivery to arrive and dealing with food that may well be cold by the time it arrives further diminishes the value. If I needed to get food for a group of 4+ people and nobody had time to go out I'd consider it.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I've yet to use any of these services because the delivery costs turn me off. Understand that I'd usually be ordering for myself, maybe a +1, and adding $10+ to an order just isn't worth it. Plus, waiting who-knows-how-long for the delivery to arrive and dealing with food that may well be cold by the time it arrives further diminishes the value. If I needed to get food for a group of 4+ people and nobody had time to go out I'd consider it.
For a single person, it probably isn't worthwhile. But there's 2 here, and with the occasional "free delivery" promo code from Uber, on days when I'm racing toward a work deadline, having my kid order dinner via Uber is a huge help. Each time we've done it, the food has arrived sooner than promised and still hot. Of course, we order from a restaurant only about 10 minutes away and they do a good job of packaging. YMMV.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:26 pm

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
I'll use UberEats near the end of each month since I have use-it-or-lose-it Uber credits from AMEX. But, my house is about 100 feet outside the delivery area boundary for my metro area which appears to have been a polygon lazily drawn by someone who didn't want to follow the metro area boundary and simply drew a straight line between two points lopping off a corner. Customer service was a joke since they started with canned responses and then said that if I was within a restaurant's delivery area I would be able to order from them. I pointed out that the app denied me the ability to order from a restaurant that was one-tenth of a mile from my house. No response.

So I did an address hack. Because the entrance to my neighborhood is within the delivery service area polygon I estimated the address on the main street where the neighborhood entrance is located and specified my house number as a unit number.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:28 pm

Postmates is being coded as Auto related? Would this be best to use AMEX gold for "shipping category" bonus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.