DoorDash, Postmates, GrubHub, UberEats, Eat24 & Other Meal Delivery Services

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoorDash, Postmates, GrubHub, UberEats, Eat24 & Other Meal Delivery Services

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
So, earlier this week, meeting was called (semi-social, semi-work) and as many are still virtual, boss decided to distribute virtual DoorDash cards to make sure we had food/drinks. Cool, however I don't use DoorDash (or any of the other service providers.... I think the rates they charge the restaurants/stalls are criminal). I go pick up any orders I want and in general it helps with most of the foods as they can be eaten mostly as intended. There aren't many foods that sit for half an hour and do well.

So my question is, should I just gift the DoorDash "card" to someone who does use it or jump in and use it. I'd rather give my business to the food providers rather than the service provider as the pickup I would have control over (vs. the wait for them that often does not go well) and the food providers would get a bigger take which I suspect would be preferred). Opinions?
If you don't mind giving it away, just give it away to someone. You could donate it to a hospital ICU or ER or just a random general medical floor, or just give it to someone.
corky likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
You can also do pickup with DoorDash but I say just give it away if you don't want to use it.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
So, earlier this week, meeting was called (semi-social, semi-work) and as many are still virtual, boss decided to distribute virtual DoorDash cards to make sure we had food/drinks. Cool, however I don't use DoorDash (or any of the other service providers.... I think the rates they charge the restaurants/stalls are criminal). I go pick up any orders I want and in general it helps with most of the foods as they can be eaten mostly as intended. There aren't many foods that sit for half an hour and do well.

So my question is, should I just gift the DoorDash "card" to someone who does use it or jump in and use it. I'd rather give my business to the food providers rather than the service provider as the pickup I would have control over (vs. the wait for them that often does not go well) and the food providers would get a bigger take which I suspect would be preferred). Opinions?
You can still order via Door Dash but select pick up rather than delivery. Not that I am advocating for this as I would always prefer that the money goes directly to the provider, but it is an option if the boss wants everyone to use it.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
If you don't mind giving it away, just give it away to someone. You could donate it to a hospital ICU or ER or just a random general medical floor, or just give it to someone.
Originally Posted by wrp96
You can also do pickup with DoorDash but I say just give it away if you don't want to use it.
Originally Posted by Finkface
You can still order via Door Dash but select pick up rather than delivery. Not that I am advocating for this as I would always prefer that the money goes directly to the provider, but it is an option if the boss wants everyone to use it.
That was my thought. I don't know how I feel about giving it away though. In theory, DoorDash (in this case) gets their cut either way (and the food provider still doesn't save on the commission). I'll have to see how to extract it from the email and offer it to a hospital or something. Or if it is linked, I'll use it and offer a tip or something.

Thanks everyone.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 4:58 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by wrp96
Published reports are restaurants typically take about a 15% haircut on pickup orders through Doordash and its competitors. Delivery orders usually cost the restaurant more in the 18-23% range. Also when you use the app for a pick-up, the patron does not have any added fees. Hence consider the restaurant's net being akin to them mailing people in the local neighborhood a coupon for 15% off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.