Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoorDash, Postmates, GrubHub, UberEats, Eat24 & Other Meal Delivery Services

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2020, 10:18 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Originally Posted by JBord
You may know this already, but for the sake of saying it, check the restaurant web sites first to see if they delivery. There will still be plenty that don't, where you'll get to use the gift cards. The delivery services charge the restaurants exorbitant rates to deliver, and at least a portion of these are usually passed on to the customer. Neither you nor the restaurant win, as they are likely absorbing some of that fee too. So the best support you can give a restaurant is to order directly from them and tip their delivery driver or pick up your order yourself. Or use your gift cards first and then order direct .
True This. NYC is currently debating capping the fees that the delivery companies charge to the restaurant at 20%. IIRC 15% Delivery and 5% "Marketing". A couple of restaurants that I have spoken to have said that it can get as high as 40% if you want a favorable listing on the app.

Also note that if you call the restaurant from the app, the delivery company still charge referral fees. In some cities the restaurant's phone number via an app is actually different from their direct line.

We try and go directly to the restaurants to order by using their websites and calling their phone numbers. We're trying to keep as much of our spend local.
Old May 23, 2020, 6:06 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by AMflier
True This. NYC is currently debating capping the fees that the delivery companies charge to the restaurant at 20%. IIRC 15% Delivery and 5% "Marketing". A couple of restaurants that I have spoken to have said that it can get as high as 40% if you want a favorable listing on the app.
I saw a story on CBS This Morning that more cities are looking to cap fees to the restaurants with local legislation. The Companies are saying it will cost more to the consumer as they will pass those fees to them instead of the restaurant. IMO, if the restaurants feel the fees are too much, then they should cancel the contract for the deliveries. I only use restaurants that have their own drivers and have dropped a few who decided to forgo their own drivers for these delivery companies. I use to be a part-time driver in my younger days as well as a restaurant manager. I can understand removing the drivers from their payroll as it reduces costs including having to carry insurance in case the driver gets into an accident. As usual, it all comes down to the bottom line as it cuts into the real reason the restaurant is in business- MAKE MONEY
Old May 23, 2020, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by teddybear99
I saw a story on CBS This Morning that more cities are looking to cap fees to the restaurants with local legislation. The Companies are saying it will cost more to the consumer as they will pass those fees to them instead of the restaurant. IMO, if the restaurants feel the fees are too much, then they should cancel the contract for the deliveries. I only use restaurants that have their own drivers and have dropped a few who decided to forgo their own drivers for these delivery companies. I use to be a part-time driver in my younger days as well as a restaurant manager. I can understand removing the drivers from their payroll as it reduces costs including having to carry insurance in case the driver gets into an accident. As usual, it all comes down to the bottom line as it cuts into the real reason the restaurant is in business- MAKE MONEY
I can understand not having delivery drivers for other reasons. In my area, most restaurants don't do enough business for delivery to make having a delivery driver worthwhile. DoorDash and GrubHub have been great because drivers can drive 5-10 miles away and pick up orders from restaurants that would otherwise not deliver to this area.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
My biggest gripe with Grubhub is that they don't disclose what the delivery fee is until checkout.

My biggest gripe with DoorDash is that they're terribly dishonest and their business practices are borderline fraudulent. I will definitely be complaining to regulatory authorities on this one.

Here is what I mean.

Scrolling through the front page, it shows "Free Delivery over $10" with no disclaimer, asterisk, or logo indicating that there's a catch.

Tapping on the restaurant will bring up the menu, which also says free delivery over $10 inside of a box.

But when I go to check out, I am charged for delivery

I contacted them and this was their response

boxo likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Ugh. It’s not a fun situation. I only used caviar, who I believe were recently bought by DoorDash. I loved caviar but fees aren’t ever cheap - best when buying a bunch Of food that I could reheat, like Asian, to offset the high fees. Paying $20 in fee / tip for a single meal felt high but paying $40 in fees/tip for 3-4 meals felt fine and I appreciated the convenience. My last caviar was late February when I hosted a poker night and I had 3 big pizzas for like $130 total including fees & tip and it was worth it to me because I didn’t want to spend 10-20 minutes with fetching it and I was cleaning & prepping for the party.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by diburning
My biggest gripe with Grubhub is that they don't disclose what the delivery fee is until checkout.

My biggest gripe with DoorDash is that they're terribly dishonest and their business practices are borderline fraudulent. I will definitely be complaining to regulatory authorities on this one.

Here is what I mean.

Scrolling through the front page, it shows "Free Delivery over $10" with no disclaimer, asterisk, or logo indicating that there's a catch.

Tapping on the restaurant will bring up the menu, which also says free delivery over $10 inside of a box.

But when I go to check out, I am charged for delivery

I contacted them and this was their response

That's better than Uber Eats, who I use 99% of the time. Same monthly fee but delivery is waived at $15 and above not $10 like Door Dash.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 8:47 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I know DoorDash allows pick up instead of delivery for certain places, but anyone know of other apps that allow it too?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 9:37 pm

Uber Eats and GrubHub have pick-up options as well. The restaurant has to opt in though. There's a restaurant two blocks from where I work that will deliver, but I can't select a pick-up option. I suppose I could call in the order, but I'd rather order through the app because it's easier.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:21 pm

I suppose I could call in the order, but I'd rather order through the app because it's easier.
This.

Especially when it's a food item that is customizable, listing every ingredient over the phone is tiresome.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
This.

Especially when it's a food item that is customizable, listing every ingredient over the phone is tiresome.
and sadly I fear there’s too much potential for human error with the phone conversation. This is separate from the human error with the food preparation.

caviar also has a pickup option. i assume they’re not nationwide.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 11:21 pm

Caviar has been acquired by DoorDash and will be integrated into DoorDash soon.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Caviar has been acquired by DoorDash and will be integrated into DoorDash soon.
due to Covid, I started to cook; thankfully just in time. I loved caviar but won’t miss it; I love all of our cooking.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 6:24 am

This.

This. I've also had issues where the human answering the phone did not understand my order or where we were placing a large group order and it took ages to list each item.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
This. I've also had issues where the human answering the phone did not understand my order or where we were placing a large group order and it took ages to list each item.
Then, of course the establishment runs out of something. Better ask that person who ordered it to now come up with something alternative.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 12:38 pm

Then, of course the establishment runs out of something. Better ask that person who ordered it to now come up with something alternative.
Yes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.