DoorDash, Postmates, GrubHub, UberEats, Eat24 & Other Meal Delivery Services

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoorDash, Postmates, GrubHub, UberEats, Eat24 & Other Meal Delivery Services

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:26 pm

Unreasonable UberEats delivery fees.

Fantastic... the variable UberEats fees are all wonderful... instead of $4.99 now almost everything is $7.99 to $8.99 and tonight most are $20 because “lack of drivers”. Who the hell pays $20 for delivery... who pays $8 or $9 for delivery?! I’m sorry Uber, but if you’re paying your drivers $10 for a five mile delivery trip you need to stop. Instead of having a bunch of drivers that will only take jobs if the pay outs are high (and then drop off after a couple months when they see only one or two deliveries an hour) maybe have a handful on “retainer” for $15/hr or something during prime hours & either very low flat fees for each trip, or no additional fees. There is no reason a 8 minute trip costs $10+.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by acarney
Fantastic... the variable UberEats fees are all wonderful... instead of $4.99 now almost everything is $7.99 to $8.99 and tonight most are $20 because “lack of drivers”. Who the hell pays $20 for delivery... who pays $8 or $9 for delivery?! I’m sorry Uber, but if you’re paying your drivers $10 for a five mile delivery trip you need to stop. Instead of having a bunch of drivers that will only take jobs if the pay outs are high (and then drop off after a couple months when they see only one or two deliveries an hour) maybe have a handful on “retainer” for $15/hr or something during prime hours & either very low flat fees for each trip, or no additional fees. There is no reason a 8 minute trip costs $10+.
Actually, a few of the places I regularly use have seen the delivery fee drop, because they are close to me. So there is that.

Furthermore, this has absolutely nothing to do with American Express Platinum/Membership rewards. So lets not turn this thread into an OMNI Uber rant.

Regards
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Actually, a few of the places I regularly use have seen the delivery fee drop, because they are close to me. So there is that.

Furthermore, this has absolutely nothing to do with American Express Platinum/Membership rewards. So lets not turn this thread into an OMNI Uber rant.

Regards
That’s the thing I don’t get, only one location dropped for me when almost every other one increased. The difference is maybe a mile or two yet some of the ones that are a good 20 minute drive is the same $8.49 or whatever as the ones 6 minutes away. But only the one like 5 minutes away dropped. I just can’t imagine anyone paying $8.49 or up for delivery in this area when traffic and parking isn’t an issue. (Not a big city)

i really think uber needs to change its “on demand” staffing model for the eats service. Funnel more trips to fewer drivers with smaller fees/payouts but ultimately earn them more per hour. The algorithm could cue sending orders to restaurants. My wait is never less than 30 to 40 min anyway and the drive is always the shortest part, by far.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:00 pm

That’s the thing I don’t get, only one location dropped for me when almost every other one increased. The difference is maybe a mile or two yet some of the ones that are a good 20 minute drive is the same $8.49 or whatever as the ones 6 minutes away. But only the one like 5 minutes away dropped. I just can’t imagine anyone paying $8.49 or up for delivery in this area when traffic and parking isn’t an issue. (Not a big city)

i really think uber needs to change its “on demand” staffing model for the eats service. Funnel more trips to fewer drivers with smaller fees/payouts but ultimately earn them more per hour. The algorithm could cue sending orders to restaurants. My wait is never less than 30 to 40 min anyway and the drive is always the shortest part, by far.
You are aware that nobody is forcing you to use UberEats, right? There are countless food delivery services available.

Regards
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:58 pm

You are aware that nobody is forcing you to use UberEats, right? There are countless food delivery services available.

Regards
It’s very frustrating when I’m trying to use my Amex credit up. I honestly would have MUCH rather they introduce a “ground transportation” credit of two $100 discount good for six months each (like the recent Saks credit) instead of Uber specific credit... or not raised the AF. I would love to apply $100 credit toward a Silvercar booking or private town car or something. Over 50% (and sometimes 100%) of the Amex credit is the delivery fee now....
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:04 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat

It’s very frustrating when I’m trying to use my Amex credit up. I honestly would have MUCH rather they introduce a “ground transportation” credit of two $100 discount good for six months each (like the recent Saks credit) instead of Uber specific credit... or not raised the AF. I would love to apply $100 credit toward a Silvercar booking or private town car or something. Over 50% (and sometimes 100%) of the Amex credit is the delivery fee now....
Except Uber is presumably subsidizing this … or they have some sort of joint marketing venture with Uber ...
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
I wasn't able to order food with DoorDash by entering the details of my German Debit Mastercard but succeeded with Apple Pay (also a Mastercard but from Ireland...)?!
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by stc
Except Uber is presumably subsidizing this … or they have some sort of joint marketing venture with Uber ...
Sure... so the increase in AF from Amex wash pure greed since they weren’t offering any extra benefit... which again is frustrating. I’ll play ball with Uber and either ignore the credit or not care about the high delivery cost (no freaking way I’m including a tip!) if Amex kept the same AF. But paying $100 more waters down all the other benefits A LOT, unless I can extract something out of the Uber credit. Up until the variable delivery fee the Uber perk seemed ok... I still didn’t WANT it, but at least I saw some value. Now getting a $6.50 credit (after delivery cost) once a month, on food that’s priced higher then at the restaurant) is really pathetic. Uber should have looked at area available parking and tie the fee to that. In a city where I would have to walk four miles to the restaurant, or pay $10 to park, a $8.49+ fee makes sense. I’ve debated driving TO the restaurant and placing the order & just listening to a podcast in my car while I wait, but I kinda suspect that would really piss off the drivers. Their payout would be rock bottom (essentially a zero mile and zero minute trip) and I would still be paying $3.49 minimum for nothing. Uber needs a “take out” option like Grubhub.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Sure... so the increase in AF from Amex [was] pure greed...
Either the market supports the AF or it doesn't, just like the market (meaning both consumers and drivers) will either support $10 delivery fees / $3 delivery fees or it won't. You keep ranting about "reasonableness", but that's not actually the issue for you - what you're really ranting about is that you don't want to be charged the higher rates. If you don't like the higher rates, then don't pay them - simple as that.

And frankly, IMO life is way too short to be a min-max'er.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:54 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I just went to use Uber Eats for the first time in a couple months. What’s the deal with these BS delivery fees? $10 for delivery from a restaurant that’s a mile away. No thanks
Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:18 am

Sure... so the increase in AF from Amex wash pure greed since they weren’t offering any extra benefit... which again is frustrating. I’ll play ball with Uber and either ignore the credit or not care about the high delivery cost (no freaking way I’m including a tip!) if Amex kept the same AF. But paying $100 more waters down all the other benefits A LOT, unless I can extract something out of the Uber credit. Up until the variable delivery fee the Uber perk seemed ok... I still didn’t WANT it, but at least I saw some value. Now getting a $6.50 credit (after delivery cost) once a month, on food that’s priced higher then at the restaurant) is really pathetic. Uber should have looked at area available parking and tie the fee to that. In a city where I would have to walk four miles to the restaurant, or pay $10 to park, a $8.49+ fee makes sense. I’ve debated driving TO the restaurant and placing the order & just listening to a podcast in my car while I wait, but I kinda suspect that would really piss off the drivers. Their payout would be rock bottom (essentially a zero mile and zero minute trip) and I would still be paying $3.49 minimum for nothing. Uber needs a “take out” option like Grubhub.
Ummm.... if the only way you can extract value out of the American Express Platinum card is sweating out the UberEats delivery fee for a pizza, perhaps... just perhaps this isn't the charge card for you.

Regards
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by United747
I just went to use Uber Eats for the first time in a couple months. What’s the deal with these BS delivery fees? $10 for delivery from a restaurant that’s a mile away. No thanks
Changes all the time. For a while, many restaurants within half a mile or so were free. The farthest restaurants were $4.99. Now the range is $2.99-$6.99 exclusive of "surge" (high demand) pricing which I've seen go up to $20.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:22 pm

Ummm.... if the only way you can extract value out of the American Express Platinum card is sweating out the UberEats delivery fee for a pizza, perhaps... just perhaps this isn't the charge card for you.

Regards
Oh boy, head over to the Amex forum and you'll read about everyone trying to extract every penny out of their benefits, even if they have no need for the benefits. I value the Amex and would hold it with or without the Uber Eats perk (in fact, I wasn't excited at all for the perk when they announced it). What I'm annoyed with is the increase in AF without any increase in perks (because honestly, the Uber Eats perk isn't really that great, AND it's probably no money out of Amex's pocket).

I originally posted this in the Amex thread that was talking about the increased AF.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
We have a newish service on Chicago called Caviar. They’ve scooped up many of the best places. Food arrives on time and the app shows you where the delivery car is in real time. I can head down to lobby as the driver arrives. Grubhub is seldom used in my household any longer.

Last edited by milepig; Oct 18, 2018 at 5:59 pm
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
We have a newish service on Chicago called Caviar. They’ve scooped up many of the best places. Food arrives on time and the app shows you when the delivery car is in real time. I can head down to lobby as the driver arrives. Grubhub is seldom used in my household any longer.
Yeah now that I am out of school and make a good salary, Grubhub is out. I can't stand not knowing where my food is.

Aside from live tracking, Caviar has excellent service recovery if something goes wrong. Uber Eats is very stingy. DoorDash I haven't tested because I generally don't use them at all--they nickle and dime you in fees plus have the gall to ask you to tip before you even submit your order. Postmates is a joke, thankfully I clawed all my spend back via credit card disputes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.