Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoorDash, Postmates, GrubHub, UberEats, Eat24 & Other Meal Delivery Services

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
I love Grubhub!

How great is that! Order online from a favorite restaurant. Don't have to talk to anyone (no offense, but sometimes the person on the phone at our favorite Mexican restaurant can't understand what the hell I'm saying). Schedule a delivery within a 20-minute time frame. Add the tip online.

Perfection.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Is DoorDash any better/worse?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
What about Uber Eats?

I really don't understand the differences among all of these. I still call ahead then pick up things in-person.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
I use Uber Eats, the service is pretty good as it ties into uber. But the fees are high, they just changed the fee structure. You have a fixed delivery fee of around $4-$8 then a 15% service fee. Unless I'm really tied up or the meal is being expensed, I would rather just call and pickup myself.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I've never used either.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I usually use a local meal delivery service that has been purchased by BiteSquad, but I've also used Uber Eats and Grubhub as they each have different restaurants available. I've been pretty pleased with all of them. When we have to work late, the meal delivery services are particularly nice because we can start an order online and just email everyone a link so they can add their order to it, without someone having to go through and ask what each person wants, and then the back and forth about what dressing do you want, what side, etc.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The Chinese restaurant, Little Caesar's, two other local pizza shops, Sonic, Wendy's, Starbucks, a French bakery, and Noodles & Company are about 3-5 minutes away. The Vietnamese restaurant, Thai restaurant, Chipotle, and Qdoba are 7-8 minutes away. Our favorite Middle Eastern restaurant is very close to Baby Swede's ninja gym, so I just pick up during or right after practice. Really not sure why I would want to pay extra and tip someone to get our food when I can get it just as easily and quicker.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
This is how I feel about Caviar. It’s the new pizza delivery. Yes, I can save $$ on fees and/or tip by going out to fetch the food on my own. But I pay those fees to avoid having to do it. I live in a city with tough parking so that’s a big factor. Maybe i wouldn’t use it if I could avoid parking although my favorite spots are a 15-20 minute drive each way and parking IS a factor!

I’ve also used these services last year when the taxi took us to our Airbnb rental and I needed to get a supper delivery at 7:30p before I had my rental car. I even repeated the service for breakfast before getting the rental.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm
What about Uber Eats?

I really don't understand the differences among all of these. I still call ahead then pick up things in-person.
each platform has their own exclusive relationship with some places and their own login system, sometimes with rewards. It’s like selecting an airline when flying nonstop between two cities.

It’s really just about paying for convenience - we fly to save time on driving or taking the train but must select the airline. Or I guess we choose which transportation mode we want for a trip.

I never used a meal delivery service until I became a parent. I love it and some parent friends don’t love it.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Is DoorDash any better/worse?
i have all the platforms on my mobile phone and they all serve different purposes, depending on what I want. They all satisfy me and my culinary desires!
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
GrubHub has one restaurant in my area. UberEats and DoorDash have 50+.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:07 am

Yep, I use the online food ordering sites whenever possible because it reduces the confusion.
rwya
Both you and the restaurant get a record of what was ordered.

I generally don't use the ordering kiosks at fast-food places unless there's a major line because it's still faster to tell the person the order than to scroll through. When it comes to delivery/takeout - technology rules.

Especially when it comes to pizza/wings kind of delivery where it's easy to get a repeat-order.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finally... each smartphone brand does a great job with what we need out of the phone. Each car brand does a good job. And each delivery service does a good job. Each category depends on their staff and in general, they’re mostly excellent. I really appreciate the service.

i also love lyft and only eschew uber because their former ceo was caught on video being really mean to somebody. When this happens to lyft, I’m going to be stuck! My united boycott after Dao only lasted a year before I needed a nonstop for Sfo/rdu...
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by gaobest
Finally... each smartphone brand does a great job with what we need out of the phone. Each car brand does a good job. And each delivery service does a good job. Each category depends on their staff and in general, they’re mostly excellent. I really appreciate the service.
I'm confused ... do you have one iphone, one google phone, one samsung and one LG phone? And one car of each brand? So confused
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:12 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
The Chinese restaurant, Little Caesar's, two other local pizza shops, Sonic, Wendy's, Starbucks, a French bakery, and Noodles & Company are about 3-5 minutes away. The Vietnamese restaurant, Thai restaurant, Chipotle, and Qdoba are 7-8 minutes away. Our favorite Middle Eastern restaurant is very close to Baby Swede's ninja gym, so I just pick up during or right after practice. Really not sure why I would want to pay extra and tip someone to get our food when I can get it just as easily and quicker.
I can understand if you can't leave wherever you are to go get food. I could see using it to order food if I'm incredibly sick with bronchitis or some such and Mr. Kipper is out of town. I would consider using it for lunches at work, except that with our building security, I need to go to the lobby to meet anyone. If I'm doing that, I can just run out to the food truck outside, or call in an order to any of the restaurants within a 2-3 minute walk of the building. But, if they could just deliver it to the reception desk and I could dash there, I would.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.