Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Today .... I (we) have been eating ....

Today .... I (we) have been eating ....

Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: AA
Thanks for the lovely photo and details, uk1. I have no asparagus on hand, but it's salmon for lunch for me today!
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:35 am
uk1
Suspended

Thanks .... you're really welcome. Sometimes, Summer arrives via a plate.

In fact I have just ordered the stuff again to have an identical rematch on Monday although I am going to do some stove top light sauteed pots instead.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
Thanks for that.

We eat a lot of salmon and tuna as we're not huge meat eaters but I get bored sometimes. I'm going to try that (even with the cheating ).
Old Apr 26, 2015, 2:19 am
uk1
Suspended

Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by uk1
<snip>

They are put into a dish with a splash of Noily and a squeeze of lemon .. and covered in cling ... and into the microwave on medium until nudged forward a minute at a time until just under done. Rested for ten minutes until done and just warm to cool. I call it "summer fish temperature" for want of a better description.

Skin removed, and salmon broken into big pieces and into a bowl with chopped spring onion and some lemon mayonaise some sea salt and a hint of smoked paprika and even less cajun / piri piri type spice mix ... it is almost not there .. just the very slightest lifting hint ie you shouldn't be aware of it. Formed on the plate with a burger press.

<snip>

Thank you, It sounds great! I've got everything to make this except the salmon (only one piece in the freezer) but I think I will get some and some new potatoes to make this for dinner in the week with the asparagus I got at the weekend.

I've got a bag of spinach, and small bunches of basil, mint and coriander in the fridge to use up urgently and I'm not sure what to do with them (other than using the mint in a mojito). Any suggestions please?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by flyingbee
Thank you, It sounds great! I've got everything to make this except the salmon (only one piece in the freezer) but I think I will get some and some new potatoes to make this for dinner in the week with the asparagus I got at the weekend.

I've got a bag of spinach, and small bunches of basil, mint and coriander in the fridge to use up urgently and I'm not sure what to do with them (other than using the mint in a mojito). Any suggestions please?
Be bold ! make a chutney out of mint, coriander and some green chillies.
Keeps in the fridge for a long time. look up You Tube for Mint or FUDINA chutney. Works good as a sandwich preadolescent too. Consumed regularly in this household.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:08 am
uk1
Suspended

Today I tried a different approach to the salmon and asparagus meal ... and it is less elegant but tastes a lot better. Sorry about the slightly out of focus piccy with a shadow.

Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:04 am

I saw a news item that said the the UK would have a bumper crop of asparagus this year -- 20% greater than average, if I remember correctly. Good news for you, UK1.

Here in the Chicago area, it's not quite yet the season for (relatively) local asparagus, so the price is still US$2.99/pound (4.45/kilo?) or more. When it gets down to $1.99/lb (2.90/kilo) or less, which should be by early May, we'll know it's asparagus time.

Meanwhile, I'm hunting around for fava beans ...
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by uk1
Today I tried a different approach to the salmon and asparagus meal ... and it is less elegant but tastes a lot better. Sorry about the slightly out of focus piccy with a shadow.

Gorgeous!

As temperatures here start to exceed 80 every afternoon, that's the sort of cool dinner I crave.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:46 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Gorgeous!

As temperatures here start to exceed 80 every afternoon, that's the sort of cool dinner I crave.
Thanks.

A sort of charlotte potato salad, with fresh salmon, apsaragus and spring onion but using hollandaise ... all just slightly warm.

Once I thought of it ...it had to be done. It is going to be a regular now.

Originally Posted by cubbie
I saw a news item that said the the UK would have a bumper crop of asparagus this year -- 20% greater than average, if I remember correctly. Good news for you, UK1.

Here in the Chicago area, it's not quite yet the season for (relatively) local asparagus, so the price is still US$2.99/pound (4.45/kilo?) or more. When it gets down to $1.99/lb (2.90/kilo) or less, which should be by early May, we'll know it's asparagus time.

Yes, not only a bumper crop for asparagus but the flavour is a vintage year. It is currently expensive though because it's early. But they are lovely and thick rather than spindly. The strawberries are also wonderful.

However, an early srop for apsaragus and strawberries means an early crop for bluebells. This means they are a bit sparse.

Todays walk in our village bluebell wood. It's close to the site of an old Roman Villa and an old drove road. It is sad but I so look forward to the bluebells. Followed by our lunch today ....

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 1, 2015 at 11:01 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sorry for lowering the standard but it's what I had.
The warning isn't true!!

Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:04 pm

In Chicago area try Fresh Farms for both items. Picked up Asp. On sale @ 1.99 / lb. Fava always available.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Sorry for lowering the standard but it's what I had.
The warning isn't true!!

Says who ?

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 1, 2015 at 11:03 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Eastman, GA (Dorm)

Dinner

Warm herbed chicken salad with dijon vinaigrette.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by HMPS
In Chicago area try Fresh Farms for both items. Picked up Asp. On sale @ 1.99 / lb. Fava always available.
Thanks for the info on both. I am hoping for an opportunity to get to the Wheeling or Niles Fresh Farms sometime soon, maybe this weekend.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:00 pm

Thanks for the info on both. I am hoping for an opportunity to get to the Wheeling or Niles Fresh Farms sometime soon, maybe this weekend.
You are welcome.
For me Wheeling is too large, busy, smaller parking lot. Niles is crowded too but lots of parking and lots of other stores including Wal Mart. May go there tomorrow.
Check out ethnic foods , fresh breads etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.