Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta Continues to Adjust to Unprecedented Fuel Costs with Addition of Fuel Surcharge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Continues to Adjust to Unprecedented Fuel Costs with Addition of Fuel Surcharge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Why is this a legal minefield? I would think that the first paragraph of the SkyMiles T&Cs pretty much indemnifies (sp?) them from any legal action.

I don't see any basis for a lawsuit. They are fully within their rights to change the SM rules ar any time. And the charges are not retroactive. Indeed, they are actually going beyond their contractural requirements by giving notice.
Before claiming whether or not there is "any basis for a lawsuit", a person ought to try to become familiar with how some terms and conditions are not necessarily enforceable in all jurisdictions, with the legal concepts of contra proferentem, and with judicial determinations regarding contracts of adhesion.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Any bets on how long it will be before it will be 25,000 miles+$50 or $100 for a domestic "free roundtrip award ticket" or 50,000 miles + $100 or $200 for a "free roundtrip award ticket" for US-Europe?
Too soon, and that's the real problem.
They probably picked $25 and $50 because they are still pretty small fees that won't get too many people super-irate, but over time, I'd expect them to go up and up.

Another problem with this is that the fuel surcharge is based only on destination and not on actual distance traveled. It's just additional revenue.

It will be interested to see if DL stops advertising free flights.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jpdx
It is not clear to me, from the email I received, whether this new $50 surcharge will supplant the (sometimes) $200-400 "taxes and fees" charged for awards originating in Europe. Anyone able to clarify?
If it supplants that fee for award tickets originating in Europe, then I would be positively surprised .... but my bet is on that anyone holding their breath waiting for that to happen would certainly die unless artificially assisted.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:32 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by silverthief2
Not a credible source IMO.
Apparently more credible than DL itself. I'm sure many others have received this email as I did:
Escalating fuel prices continue to impact our world economy, everyday life and the airline industry. Due to continued, unprecedented fuel costs, we will add the following fuel surcharge to Award Tickets originating from the U.S. and Canada, effective August 15, 2008:

$25 for Award Travel between the 50 states and Canada
$50 for Award Travel between the 50 states/Canada and all international destinations
This was a difficult but essential decision to ensure we are doing everything possible to offset the cost of fuel which has nearly doubled in the last year. This fuel surcharge will not impact any existing ticketed Award itineraries or any future Award Tickets issued prior to August 15, 2008, regardless of the date of travel. We hope this is temporary, and should fuel prices subside from current levels, we will reevaluate this surcharge.

We are committed to making SkyMiles® the best frequent flyer program in the industry and providing you with the most benefits and rewards. We will continue to expand the destinations and opportunities for Award Travel and strengthen the program as we prepare for our proposed merger with Northwest Airlines®. Additionally, we will keep you updated on the launch of our new multi-tiered Award program and other key initiatives over the next 60 days.

Thank you for your continued loyalty and support of Delta and the SkyMiles Program—now and always.

J. W. Robertson
Managing Director, SkyMiles
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:34 am
Suspended

It is retroactive in that it applies to miles already earned by SkyMiles members.

Are you certain that for tickets issued before August 15th that voluntary award ticket reissues -- including for reroutings -- won't necessarily trigger the fuel surcharge?

I would not be surprised if a Skymiles member-initiated award ticket change after August 15th for tickets issued prior to that date would also trigger the fuel surcharges on tickets already issued or issued prior to August 15th.
It is clear that Skymiles member-initiated award ticket changes attempted on or after August 15th for tickets issued prior to August 15th would also trigger the fuel surcharges on tickets already issued or issued prior to August 15th in the event that a ticket reissuance is needed. How often is that, almost always when a change i made?

.... and not even an exemption for DL PMs.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:35 am

The frequent flyer game is basically over. I would recommend just flying the most convienent and reasonably priced options from here on out. AA increased awards, bag fees. UA/US actual miles, charges for drinks, terrible clubs. DL who hasn't found a way to devalue skymiles that it doesn't like. Now only NW and CO have decent programs, and both of those are more or less lame ducks.

I have nearly half a million NW miles, my goal is to have 0 at the merger.

There are still deals to exploit in travel, but the new battleground is hotel programs, car rental programs, and fly by night airlines. No longer the legacy carriers.

Posted from the DTW Worldclub, over the free wifi, while drinking their free self-serve booze, and partaking in the relatively abundant snack food...
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GivenRandy
Apparently more credible than DL itself. I'm sure many others have received this email as I did:
.... and timed for Friday release by DL marketing .... all in order to bury the story as much as DL could try.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:39 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by humanoid94
The frequent flyer game is basically over. I would recommend just flying the most convienent and reasonably priced options from here on out. AA increased awards, bag fees. UA/US actual miles, charges for drinks, terrible clubs. DL who hasn't found a way to devalue skymiles that it doesn't like. Now only NW and CO have decent programs, and both of those are more or less lame ducks.

I have nearly half a million NW miles, my goal is to have 0 at the merger.

There are still deals to exploit in travel, but the new battleground is hotel programs, car rental programs, and fly by night airlines. No longer the legacy carriers.
I agree that it is nearly over. As a result of the airline actions, when the customers end up booking only for the things you mentioned, then the airlines will be griping about the lack of loyalty. Duh.

The things that get rewarded get done.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:40 am
Suspended

Is this the "customer giveback" that the head of SkyMiles keeps promising?
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:41 am

Programs: DL 1 MM/DM; HH Lifetime Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
While I understand the economics of doing this given the rising cost of fuel, Elite flyers should get the benefit of lower or no fees associated with award travel. @:-) Frequent fliers represent a small segment of the overall Skymiles program, and Delta can still recoup fees against the leisure flier who accumulates and burns miles.

At the very least, PMs should get a discounted fee, perhaps?...
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
It is clear that Skymiles member-initiated award ticket changes attempted on or after August 15th for tickets issued prior to August 15th would also trigger the fuel surcharges on tickets already issued or issued prior to August 15th in the event that a ticket reissuance is needed. How often is that, almost always when a change i made?

.... and not even an exemption for DL PMs.
I agree, every time Ive ever tried to make the slightest change to an intl award ticket Ive been told, Im sorry sir it needs to be reissued. This is something Ive always chalked up to being an opportunity to charge me the $25 phone fee again, which theyve done repeatedly. Now it will be a chance to charge the $50 award fee!
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Delta
This fuel surcharge will not impact existing ticketed award itineraries or award tickets issued prior to Aug. 15, 2008, regardless of the date of travel.
That's Delta engaged in deceiving the customer. Notice the structural equivalent of fine print further down in the press release under "Terms and Conditions":

A fuel surcharge applies for any Award Tickets originating from the U.S. and Canada issued or exchanged on or after August 15, 2008.
Delta is trying to have it both ways in the same press release, but there is a problem with that since these fees will also apply to already ticketed award travel when a change is made that involves a reissuing of the ticket.

When a firm advertises two contradictory items -- as DL has done above -- a court or administrative regulatory body may well determine that such a company is engaged in false advertising or other unlawful deceptive trade practices if it advertises one thing and then tries to contradict its advertisement in the structural equivalent of fine print, including such as the terms and conditions.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:52 am

The frequent flyer game is basically over.
But the buy-your-bennies game is just getting started...

Want a FC upgrade on DL? Buy your hundreds of dollar Reserve card that trumps BIS elites...

Want an award ticket? Just use our credit card and pay hundreds in surcharges. You don't have to fly to earn.

I get surveys all the time from KLM asking why as Platinum Elite for Life I don't fly KLM anymore. The answer is: because Platinum Elite has no benefits that make paying more for less on KLM worthwhile.

DL=NW is soon to follow suit.
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

The frequent flyer game is basically over.
I hope you do not mind, humanoid94, but I quoted you here.

What you said is powerful, and I believe that other FlyerTalk members need to discuss this.

I am seriously rethinking my participation in frequent flier programs. I am not certain that going through the time and trouble to maintain status is worth the cost now that the value of frequent flier programs in general are becoming more and more diluted.

Programs: American EXP
business model is upside down

With the new Fuel Adjustment fee's for AWARD tickets - the decision not to raise the award miles necessary (points = $) or to do what's right and simply recognize that an award is an award - Delta should consider basing all tickets for a flat $25.00 anywhere in the world and base the fuel surcharge on the number of miles flown. No more cheap seats, inventory control - everyone pays the same - and $25.00 is enough bait for the switch.

This will happen when the North Pole melts.... oh wait.... It is melting...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.