Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta Continues to Adjust to Unprecedented Fuel Costs with Addition of Fuel Surcharge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Continues to Adjust to Unprecedented Fuel Costs with Addition of Fuel Surcharge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sxf24
The circumstances, as well as terms and conditions, were different. Until someone successfully pursues legal action against DL on this, or any of the thousands of other issues legal action has previously been threatened on, I'm going to forgo further discussion on this particular topic.
Your response above does not constitute showing how is it that my mentioned example is an "improper and unequal comparison" -- other than by trying to hide behind reference to AA's fine print that I doubt you have even (yet) reviewed, you haven't really responded.

An "improper and unequal comparison" is not an applicable characterization to what I mentioned, especially as the mentioned item involved an airline, a frequent flyer program, changes to a frequent flyer program, and the airline's attempt to hide behind the terms and conditions in trying to defend itself from consumers asserting their legal rights in the face of airline unilterally making adjustments to the FFP.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by soitgoes
The point is that the airlines can't on the one hand hide behind contractual terms and on the other say that there is no contract.
Exactly.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
DL assumes the liabilities of NW through this "merger".
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
DL and NW merge. NW has promised free flights for many years. DL wants to charge me for them, when the miles that I earned them with were always promised to be free. Get it? Got it? Good.
At the point DL and NW move to a single frequent flier program, it would likely result in either the termination of one or both of the predecessor programs. Participants of the predecessor program(s) who elect to participate in the successor program (whether it be surviving or newly created) would likely be credited an amount of miles equal to what they had in the predecessor program. The terms and implied promises of the predecessor program would no longer apply after termination.

To my knowledge, no current frequent flier program has ever explicitly qualified the duration of redemption options or thresholds.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:26 am
Suspended

I'm absolutely call your bluff, especially since sharing information DL management would already have would be of no help.

Of course, if such information does not exist...
We've already discussed this matter. Do a search if you need your memory refreshed and really care to do anything beside call "bluff" to a non-bluff.

Can't recall or conduct a proper search? I'm not paid to make DL's case for DL any longer, nor to undermine my own interests or the interest of like-minded consumers.

DL made changes after the specific item was raised here about its unlawful nature.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by soitgoes
The point is that the airlines can't on the one hand hide behind contractual terms and on the other say that there is no contract.
There can be a difference between program terms and conditions and a contract.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:28 am
Suspended

We've already discussed this matter, do a search -- DL made changes after the item was raised here.
We've already discussed this matter. Do a search if you need your memory refreshed and really care to do anything beside call "bluff" to a non-bluff.

Can't recall or conduct a proper search? I'm not paid to make DL's case for DL any longer, nor to undermine my own interests or the interest of like-minded consumers.

DL made changes after the specific item was raised here about its unlawful nature.
If you say its been discussed, and changes have been made, there should be no problem to support your claim since the search finds no results.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:31 am
Suspended

To my knowledge, no current frequent flier program has ever explicitly qualified the duration of redemption options or thresholds.
In that case, I suggest better research. I suggest starting to become aware of the terms and conditions you referred to earlier ... the ones from AA's initial program in the mentioned article. I also suggest a little more awareness about the history of Alitalia's program.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:31 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Another "enhancement". Sigh.

Delta is trying to have it both ways in the same press release, but there is a problem with that since these fees will also apply to already ticketed award travel when a change is made that involves a reissuing of the ticket.
So, here's the real questions: DL makes a schedule change that requires a reissue. Or DL makes a schedule change that forces you to get 'em to change to other flights (say, connections that don't work any more).

Will the new fee be assessed or waived on the forced reissue? My bet is that they'll try and assess. And it will be convenient for them to reset schedules that force reissues.

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I hope you do not mind, humanoid94, but I quoted you here.

What you said is powerful, and I believe that other FlyerTalk members need to discuss this.

I am seriously rethinking my participation in frequent flier programs. I am not certain that going through the time and trouble to maintain status is worth the cost now that the value of frequent flier programs in general are becoming more and more diluted.
I'm already there. I've got lifetime Gold status on DL. I lost my PM a couple of years ago for the first time (I was in whatever was the top tier since I joined the program in the 80's). I regained it last year, just barely, due to a lot of flying on several airlines. I also qualified for AA Plat.... and WN "A-List", meaning I spread the business around instead of staying intensely loyal. I'd love to stay loyal to DL, but with the "enhancements", fees, lack of availability, booking restrictions, etc, Skymiles just isn't that great. I still remember when DL didn't charge the higher UK departure fees through on upgrades.

And none of the others are any better.

The airlines continue to devalue programs, and it just makes flying a commodity business. They bring it upon themselves.

FWIW, the WSJ article today (Link, requires subscription) speculates that there will be further devaluations.

Originally Posted by WSJ
In April, Julius Maldutis, president of consulting firm Aviation Dynamics and a veteran industry analyst, predicted that one of the first perks to get hit would be frequent-flier programs.
Also in April, travel experts said Delta's frequent-flier programs likely would see changes including a possible devaluation of some passenger miles amid the company's pending merger with Northwest Airlines Corp.
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
It's only just begun. Fuel prices will drop, and when they do the legacies will be scrambling to regain the customers who've discovered the simple life flying LCC's. By then, WN probably will be the #1 domestic airline.

As long as DL/NW continue to show some restraint in what the do (and frankly, $25-50 more for an award ticket is pretty restrained given current conditions), they will have a running start when things recover. US & maybe UA will be history.

We were both down to almost zero miles, but we just can't get out of the habit of earning more. We're flying 3 200K itins this year & they still pile up.
I gotta fly anyway, but mileage runs are in my past given the current fee and surcharge environment. As long as I've gotta fly anyway, I'll bank miles, but no longer is airline/alliance one of the first things I look to.

Flying WN so much last year really opened my eyes to how unsatisfying the legacies are. It really is a lot simpler, and it really is a nicer experience when you can get a non-stop instead of going through hel..(er).. Atlanta, ORD, or DFW.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:33 am
Suspended

If you say its been discussed, and changes have been made, there should be no problem to support your claim since the search finds no results.
I'm not here to make up for your challenges in conducting a search -- or not conducting one -- but if you need to get yet another clue, try to get familiar with the historical changes to Delta's PDFs.

We've already had this discussion before.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Do they really advertise it as "free"? By that, I mean, do they ever actually put out an ad that doesn't have the fine print of "taxes and fees may apply"?
Yes.

A couple of quick examples:

https://www.delta.com/help/faqs/awar...x.jsp#transfer
How do I transfer my award to someone else?
At the time reservations are made, the member may designate that the free ticket be issued in the name of another person.
http://www.delta.com/help/faqs/skymi...s/index.jsp#q3

And even where they have an *, they still don't say they can include any and all fees they want:
the incentive of free* travel
*Taxes/Fees: Award tickets do not include a September 11th Security Fee of up to USD10.00 round-trip for tickets issued after September 30, 2003, or for international travel, U.S. Customs fee of USD5.00, APHIS fee of USD3.10, INS fee of USD7.00, or foreign user, inspection, customs, security or other similarly based charges, fees or taxes of up to USD250, depending on itinerary. Canada taxes are not included and may fluctuate based on Banker's Selling Rate on the day the tickets are issued. These taxes and fees are the responsibility of the passenger and must be paid at the time of ticketing.
http://www.delta.com/about_delta/par...opps/index.jsp

Then there's the e-mails, the signs, on-hold messages, employee statements, connotation of "award", etc.
And then add that to all of their partners' advertisements (Amex, for example).
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:34 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Originally Posted by humanoid94
The frequent flyer game is basically over. I would recommend just flying the most convienent and reasonably priced options from here on out.
It'll be over for most people, not FTer. Look at the bright side. $50 is a lot, but I'll still be glad sitting on SQ F.

It'll be nice if 90% of real world stop earning and spending their points. We'll have a whole lot more award seats open up.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
So, here's the real questions: DL makes a schedule change that requires a reissue. Or DL makes a schedule change that forces you to get 'em to change to other flights (say, connections that don't work any more).
If the only ticket being changed is one that is being changed due to an involuntary situation for the customer that was forced upon the customer by the airline, then I'm pretty sure that it won't be too hard for DL to not assess the customer new taxes, fees and surcharges. However, if you have other DL award tickets that need changing, then my bet is that most such customers will get hit by this new revenue collection opportunity for Delta.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by adamak
It'll be over for most people, not FTer. Look at the bright side. $50 is a lot, but I'll still be glad sitting on SQ F.

It'll be nice if 90% of real world stop earning and spending their points. We'll have a whole lot more award seats open up.
The game certainly won't be over for the more crafty FTers.

For how many more years are you counting on SQ F being a redemption opportunity for DL SkyMiles members?

90% of the real world doesn't earn and spend FFP points/miles, so I don't know how they are going to stop earning and spending their FFP points/miles when they never had them in the first place.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adamak
$50 is a lot,
It's $50 for now. Who really thinks they won't increase it?
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:43 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
If the only ticket being changed is one that is being changed due to an involuntary situation for the customer that was forced upon the customer by the airline, then I'm pretty sure that it won't be too hard for DL to not assess the customer new taxes, fees and surcharges. However, if you have other DL award tickets that need changing, then my bet is that most such customers will get hit by this new revenue collection opportunity for Delta.
Given the reluctance to waive other fees, and given the fight to get such fees waived in "easy" cases (and even their reluctance in my personal experience to make a change to an earlier flight instead of the one they rebooked me on in the case of a next-day flight cancellation because "there are plenty of seats but none in that booking class), I'm not holding my breath.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.