Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta Continues to Adjust to Unprecedented Fuel Costs with Addition of Fuel Surcharge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Continues to Adjust to Unprecedented Fuel Costs with Addition of Fuel Surcharge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tonypct
What surprises me about the e-mail I just received announcing fuel surcharges on award tickets is its lack of clarity. I know what Jeff means, but when you read it literally, it sounds like its $25 on award tickets flying from any of the 50 states to Canada or $50 on any of the 50 states or Canada to an international destination. Here it is verbatim:

* $25 for Award Travel between the 50 states and Canada
* $50 for Award Travel between the 50 states/Canada and all international destinations

Anybody else reading this the same way I am?
As in:

So what is the fee for award travel between the 50 states..?

Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:26 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Wow! 20%. That must be a whole lot of liquidation going on.

For the NW award flights (which included CO/AF/KL legs) I booked/rebooked in the past weeks there were no "taxes" on award redemption......YET....

I am sure given the Aug 15th Delta deadline, they will come up with one to match it. Does this mean that AA will move its $5 charge to $25?

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I wouldn't be surprised if on some flights up to nearly 20% of seats are accounted for as FFP redemptions.

Speaking of "taxing" award redemptions -- especially since fuel surcharges aren't taxes -- are NW and CO redemptions made on or after August 15th for DL flights subjected to these fuel surcharges too, or are their programs still good for avoiding DL fuel surcharges for award ticket redemptions after August 15th?
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
What surprises me about the e-mail I just received announcing fuel surcharges on award tickets is its lack of clarity. I know what Jeff means, but when you read it literally, it sounds like its $25 on award tickets flying from any of the 50 states to Canada or $50 on any of the 50 states or Canada to an international destination. Here it is verbatim:

* $25 for Award Travel between the 50 states and Canada
* $50 for Award Travel between the 50 states/Canada and all international destinations

Anybody else reading this the same way I am?
The distinction between: a) "* $25 for Award Travel between the 50 states and Canada"' and b) "* $25 for Award Travel within the 50 states and Canada?
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by chicagorich
As in:

So what is the fee for award travel between the 50 states..?

Bingo! Technically, that is still a question. At least the way the e-mail is written. But like I said earlier, I know what he means, he just didn't write it all too clearly.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The distinction between: a) "* $25 for Award Travel between the 50 states and Canada"' and b) "* $25 for Award Travel within the 50 states and Canada?
GU, that's what he should have written. I don't mean to come across like the English language police, but his e-mail really caused me some initial confusion.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by sxf24
Blaming the airlines for not anticipating $150 oil is absurd and frankly the stupidest f-ing excuse I've ever heard.
If that's what I asserted, it would indeed be stupid. But thankfully, it's not.

What many smart airlines have done over the years -- both in the USA and elsewhere -- is convert the variable cost of fuel into a fixed cost upon which additional good business decisions can be based.

Several years ago, more than a couple legacy executives scoffed at Southwest for opting to invest in fuel hedges and other arrangements to fix the airline's fuel requirements at a particular price point (I don't remember the exact price, but it was a point below $100/barrel).

Now while some legacy CEOs try to get legacy employees and legacy frequent-flyers to accept some undesirable "new reality" -- and those CEOs will likely succeed, because any lie or mischaracterization told and printed a thousand times becomes accepted as truth by some -- it's more or less business as usual at Southwest and other carriers who engaged in smarter business practices.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by tomh009
Who really thinks they don't have a choice of what airline to fly, if the fees become too onerous?
I think you have a choice of airlines, but they will all have the same fees, so it doesn't really matter.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
So, the other question is whether DL will whack award inventory until Aug 15 to maximize fees.

Discuss.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:36 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
So, the other question is whether DL will whack award inventory until Aug 15 to maximize fees.

Discuss.
Nah. With the rush to beat the fees, just the hold time wait for someone in India to scour for award tickets would automatically do the necessary braking...
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I think you have a choice of airlines, but they will all have the same fees, so it doesn't really matter.
I think it's a pretty good bet that not all airlines will have the same fare structures and loyalty programs. They don't today, and they won't in the future. As a business, you want to offer competitive differentiation, and someone will always be doing that.

As a consumer, you certainly have the choice between the SW model and the DL model, for example. Not the same thing -- which one is better for you, only you can decide.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
it's more or less business as usual at Southwest and other carriers who engaged in smarter business practices.
And the "other carriers" in the US would be? Aside from WN, they all pretty much seem to be run by the Keystone Cops.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:38 pm
Suspended

GU, that's what he should have written. I don't mean to come across like the English language police, but his e-mail really caused me some initial confusion.
Language matters -- and I could definitely see how some others could read that as if DL were trying to apply fuel surcharges to just all international award ticket redemptions .... as if assigning a lower fee for Canada than for other international destinations. Sadly, it seems like DL is intent on making all -- domestic and international -- SkyMiles redemptions an additional revenue collection opportunity for DL.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Discuss.
Maybe they won't have to. What percentage of award tickets get flown as originally booked.? How many people book an award and then later call back to change dates, etc.?

Maybe this new fee (assuming that it also applies to award re-issues) will cause people to hang back and make award travel bookings closer to their dates of travel in order to minimize the chances of having to rebook for some reason.

Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pbarnette
And the "other carriers" in the US would be? Aside from WN, they all pretty much seem to be run by the Keystone Cops.
Well, if someone here wants to suggest DL is somewhat well managed, then how about looking at the amount of fuel that it hedges?
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tomh009
Every one of these airlines is a business.
Yes, but since when did 'being a business' make one exempt from fair trade practices?

They've done screwy experiments with availability before. We'll see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.