Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta Continues to Adjust to Unprecedented Fuel Costs with Addition of Fuel Surcharge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Continues to Adjust to Unprecedented Fuel Costs with Addition of Fuel Surcharge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
Delta may indeed change the terms of the program. What they cannot do is falsely advertise something as free.

The moment Delta levies fuel surcharges for its own award flights, SkyMiles is no longer a program that offers free travel. It's as simple as that.
I don't think "free" has been advertised for quite sometime.

That language is to discourage those who are ignorant of the basic principles of contract law from thinking that they have rights that can be asserted against Delta. Conversely, those of us who can claim Contracts Law as our single best course in law school don't bat an eye in asserting that such language will prove unenforceable in many instances (without giving opinion or advice as to whether it's enforceable here).
I think you need to first argue that participation in the SkyMiles program constitutes a contract.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
pbarnette and cynicalflyer, do you recall this

http://www.iht.com/articles/2000/07/21/trmiles.t.php

too?

An airline trying to hide behind terms and conditions doesn't always work.
Hiding behind improper and unequal comparisons doesn't work either.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
If you don't want to file suit, then why are you so worried or interested in having people lay out their strategy here for pursuing the matter as they indivdually determine is best for them?
How can I free-ride if I don't know who to free-ride with?
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by humanoid94
The frequent flyer game is basically over. I would recommend just flying the most convienent and reasonably priced options from here on out. AA increased awards, bag fees. UA/US actual miles, charges for drinks, terrible clubs. DL who hasn't found a way to devalue skymiles that it doesn't like. Now only NW and CO have decent programs, and both of those are more or less lame ducks.

I have nearly half a million NW miles, my goal is to have 0 at the merger.
It's only just begun. Fuel prices will drop, and when they do the legacies will be scrambling to regain the customers who've discovered the simple life flying LCC's. By then, WN probably will be the #1 domestic airline.

As long as DL/NW continue to show some restraint in what the do (and frankly, $25-50 more for an award ticket is pretty restrained given current conditions), they will have a running start when things recover. US & maybe UA will be history.

We were both down to almost zero miles, but we just can't get out of the habit of earning more. We're flying 3 200K itins this year & they still pile up.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by pbarnette
So you will be filing suit then?
First of all, IANAL, and second, you don't need to sue them to get satisfaction.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sxf24
Hiding behind improper and unequal comparisons doesn't work either.
It involved an airline, a frequent flyer program, changes to a frequent flyer program, and an attempt to hide behind the terms and conditions. So how is it that the mentioned example is an "improper and unequal comparison"?
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I'm glad I'll have an out if the DL/NW merger goes through. The FA announces on almost every flight about Worldperks member earning miles for FREE flights.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:08 am
Suspended

ROTFLMAO!

Thankfully, I invested smartly in my education so as not to be treated as a mindless, spineless peon by anybody or anything. Delta's bad business judgment -- some of which involved bad guesswork on fuel prices -- creates no crisis or need to alter my way of life with respect to travel.
I don't think anyone - including Southwest - expected fuel prices and the economy to move in tandem to the extent seen today.

Blaming the airlines for not anticipating $150 oil is absurd and frankly the stupidest excuse I've ever heard.

Every airline is struggling on a daily basis to stay in business. The entire industry is in an absolute position of desperation and must take drastic steps to survive.

[rant]I'm sorry if all of you entitled whiners are sad that your frequent flier benefits are being impacted. Quite frankly, I'd rather see you pissed off so that I can continue getting a paycheck instead of pretending like its still 1999 and everything is fine so you can park your fat butt in a first class seat when traveling on a cheap ticket or redeem miles on a whim.[/rant off]

Last edited by sxf24; Jun 27, 2008 at 1:27 pm
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Well, I'm glad I'll have an out if the DL/NW merger goes through. The FA announces on almost every flight about Worldperks member earning miles for FREE flights.
What does one thing have to do with the other?
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:10 am

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Do they really advertise it as "free"? By that, I mean, do they ever actually put out an ad that doesn't have the fine print of "taxes and fees may apply"?
I don't think Delta does themselves anymore. But I've been getting bombarded from cable TV advertising for the Delta American Express, where Amex uses the verbiage (in the audio, don't know what's in the quick-flash small print) like "Open a Delta Airlines American Express Card and earn 25,000 miles - enough for a free trip on Delta or many other airline partners" (paraphrase, but I specifically remember the "enough for a free trip" phrase.)

Could be a tricky issue for both AXP and DAL companies, since even though it's an Amex ad, it's advertising a jointly-branded product. IANAL.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:13 am
Suspended

It has .... but to go into specifics here is likely to only help DL management and its apologists more than the ordinary consumer who participates in SkyMiles and decides to pursue the matter through the legal channels available.

I think you need to first argue that participation in the SkyMiles program constitutes a contract.
If someone is counting on courts claiming that a frequent flyer mileage programs changes never constitute a breach of contract or violation of law, then those very same persons should not cry when people decide to sell their miles for money and don't get caught by DL by reciting terms and conditions that are not always enforceable.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:13 am
Suspended

It involved an airline, a frequent flyer program, changes to a frequent flyer program, and an attempt to hide behind the terms and conditions. So how is it that the mentioned example is an "improper and unequal comparison"?
The circumstances, as well as terms and conditions, were different. Until someone successfully pursues legal action against DL on this, or any of the thousands of other issues legal action has previously been threatened on, I'm going to forgo further discussion on this particular topic.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:14 am
Suspended

DL assumes the liabilities of NW through this "merger".
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL and NW merge. NW has promised free flights for many years. DL wants to charge me for them, when the miles that I earned them with were always promised to be free. Get it? Got it? Good.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:16 am
Suspended

It has .... but to go into specifics here is likely to only help DL management and its apologists more than the ordinary consumer who participates in SkyMiles and decides to pursue the matter through the legal channels available.
I'm absolutely call your bluff, especially since sharing information DL management would already have would be of no help.

Of course, if such information does not exist...

If someone is counting on courts claiming that a frequent flyer mileage programs changes never constitute a breach of contract or violation of law, then those very same persons should not cry when people decide to sell their miles for money and don't get caught by DL by reciting terms and conditions that are not always enforceable.
I'm not sure what this means. Has the situation you described occurred?
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure what this means. Has the situation you described occurred?
The point is that the airlines can't on the one hand hide behind contractual terms and on the other say that there is no contract.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.