Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta Continues to Adjust to Unprecedented Fuel Costs with Addition of Fuel Surcharge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Continues to Adjust to Unprecedented Fuel Costs with Addition of Fuel Surcharge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxf24
Since these charges don't apply retroactively to ticketed travel, I fail to see how this can be compared.
They can't retract all of their prior advertising.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by USCGamecock
I wonder how long it will be before someone challenges this in court.
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
As was the case with retroactive baggage fees, Delta is stepping into a legal minefield on this one...
Why is this a legal minefield? I would think that the first paragraph of the SkyMiles T&Cs pretty much indemnifies (sp?) them from any legal action.

All benefits that Delta offers in the SkyMiles program are conditioned upon your compliance with these Membership Rules and Conditions, the terms and conditions described elsewhere in this Guide, all terms and conditions of Delta's contract of carriage, Delta's fare rules, and all other applicable Delta rules and regulations. These rules are subject to change at any time. Unless otherwise stated, the current rules in effect at the time of your travel, request for a benefit, or other transaction will govern that transaction.
I don't see any basis for a lawsuit. They are fully within their rights to change the SM rules ar any time. And the charges are not retroactive. Indeed, they are actually going beyond their contractural requirements by giving notice.

Last edited by pbarnette; Jun 27, 2008 at 9:18 am
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
As was the case with retroactive baggage fees, Delta is stepping into a legal minefield on this one...
Not retroactive:

"This fuel surcharge will not impact any existing ticketed Award itineraries or any future Award Tickets issued prior to August 15, 2008, regardless of the date of travel."
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
..... so DL award travel is now going to be nothing more than discounted paid travel. Right now it will be 25,000 miles + $25 for a domestic ticket or 50,000 miles + $50 for a US-Europe return ticket. Over time it will become less and less of a discounted ticket and even more of an additional opportunity for DL to capture ever more revenue at time of award ticketing.

Any bets on how long it will be before it will be 25,000 miles+$50 or $100 for a domestic "free roundtrip award ticket" or 50,000 miles + $100 or $200 for a "free roundtrip award ticket" for US-Europe?

"Award travel" is quickly heading toward becoming little more than discounted paid travel ..... and eventually -- if this fuel surcharge nonsense goes unchallenged -- it will trend toward being less and less substantially discounted travel and will come closer and closer to approaching some regular paid fares for travel between the very same city pairs. (If you get unlucky enough, then "award travel" may even be more expensive than regular paid travel between the same city pairs. )
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by cynicalflyer
Not retroactive:

"This fuel surcharge will not impact any existing ticketed Award itineraries or any future Award Tickets issued prior to August 15, 2008, regardless of the date of travel."
I know that. My point was that DL is wading into a legal minefield on the fuel surchage just as it did with the retroactive bag fee.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:15 am

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
There might not be any recourse to this DL announcement, but there could be a staging area to make our thoughts known on an organized, compelling and hopefully media-attention getting basis.........

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...34#post9947334
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:16 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by GUWonder
..... so DL award travel is now going to be nothing more than discounted paid travel. Right now it will be 25,000 miles + $25 for a domestic ticket or 50,000 miles + $50 for a US-Europe return ticket.
You forgot to include the fees they already charge for award tickets.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:16 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Lemme see if I got this right . . .

If you want to book a partner award int'l trip it's . . .

$25 phone fee +

$25 partner award ticket fee +

$50 fuel surcharge =

$100 for a "FREE" ticket. Right?

(+ all taxes / customs / immigration fees, etc.), of course
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cynicalflyer
Not retroactive:

It is retroactive in that it applies to miles already earned by SkyMiles members.

Are you certain that for tickets issued before August 15th that voluntary award ticket reissues -- including for reroutings -- won't necessarily trigger the fuel surcharge?

I would not be surprised if a Skymiles member-initiated award ticket change after August 15th for tickets issued prior to that date would also trigger the fuel surcharges on tickets already issued or issued prior to August 15th.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:19 am

However the fuel surcharge fee is NOT really a fee (something imposed by an authority beyond DL's control - like security fees, airport fees, etc.) I assume you won't mind then that when you book your next award ticket, you are quoted the following fees:

- fuel fee: $200
- FA fee: $400
- pilot fee: $600
- airplane fee: $800
- people we pay to clean our offices fee: $200
- anything of the thousands items we pay for fee: let your imagination run wild

Total price of your "free" award ticket: $2200+++. Have a nice trip.

Originally Posted by sxf24
Good luck. It is clearly disclosed that award tickets are subject to taxes and fees.

When I can pay less than $200 in taxes and fees for an award ticket worth about 25 times that amount, I think I'm getting a pretty good deal.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:21 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

It is not clear to me, from the email I received, whether this new $50 surcharge will supplant the (sometimes) $200-400 "taxes and fees" charged for awards originating in Europe. Anyone able to clarify?
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Canarsie
You forgot to include the fees they already charge for award tickets.
Yes, there are other fees too. And I would not be surprised to see some of them increased too ... sooner or later.

Including the other fees we know that DL charges already on award tickets, these frequent flyer mile ticket redemptions are becoming little more than discounted paid travel for SkyMiles customers married to yet another revenue collection opportunity for Delta.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by pbarnette

I don't see any basis for a lawsuit. They are fully within their rights to change the SM rules ar any time. And the charges are not retroactive. Indeed, they are actually going beyond their contractural requirements by giving notice.
Delta may indeed change the terms of the program. What they cannot do is falsely advertise something as free.

The moment Delta levies fuel surcharges for its own award flights, SkyMiles is no longer a program that offers free travel. It's as simple as that.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:23 am

Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
Just checked...Biz Class "award" ticket from Dublin to the USA was:

95,000 miles (SkySAVER)
+ $204.72 in fees/taxes/gas/etc/etc
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:24 am

Actually, it already is. I booked award tickets to Europe in April. Aside from the federal excise taxes, I paid: $25 booking fee (because DL's web site doesn't allow international booking), about $85 in fuel fees, and something else I can't remember, for about $140 per ticket. Still beats the ~ $2000 I would have paid for revenue travel, but not free by any means.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
..... so DL award travel is now going to be nothing more than discounted paid travel. Right now it will be 25,000 miles + $25 for a domestic ticket or 50,000 miles + $50 for a US-Europe return ticket. Over time it will become less and less of a discounted ticket and even more of an additional opportunity for DL to capture ever more revenue at time of award ticketing.

Any bets on how long it will be before it will be 25,000 miles+$50 or $100 for a domestic "free roundtrip award ticket" or 50,000 miles + $100 or $200 for a "free roundtrip award ticket" for US-Europe?

"Award travel" is quickly heading toward becoming little more than discounted paid travel ..... and eventually -- if this fuel surcharge nonsense goes unchallenged -- it will trend toward being less and less substantially discounted travel and will come closer and closer to approaching some regular paid fares for travel between the very same city pairs. (If you get unlucky enough, then "award travel" may even be more expensive than regular paid travel between the same city pairs. )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.