Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta Continues to Adjust to Unprecedented Fuel Costs with Addition of Fuel Surcharge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Continues to Adjust to Unprecedented Fuel Costs with Addition of Fuel Surcharge

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2008, 3:10 pm

Question Up, up "she" rises $ $ $ $ $

I seriously doubt that you will ever see the award surcharge go away.
Rather I see it INCREASING depending on several factors such as
length of journey, number of connections, how many are on partner metal,
and what extra charges may occur such as airport improvment fees,, depature taxes, landing fees, etc that may rise, in addition to local, county, state, and federal tax INCREASES on ticket (trip) value...
Old Aug 11, 2008, 8:39 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
If the fee surcharge on award tickets goes away because they are pressed to do so after oil drops another $20 a barrel, it will simply be replaced with an award ticket "booking" fee equal to or greater than the current fuel surcharge.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 8:59 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
I suspect that if/when they reevaluate it they will decide they really like it and will keep the fees in place.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by cellist
I'm guessing "never."
Well maybe when fuel hits $10 per barrel. ...which is another way of saying the same thing. Their statement was just another airline lie.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 9:29 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
I don't think anything will come down until the first airline decides they can get a competitive advantage by dropping it.

And then if that airline gets a lot of good press and the rest feel threatened, then they might drop it.

But until the first major decides to get back customers by dropping it, they'll all just keep it.

Anyone remember Triple Miles back in the late 80's? I can't remember who was the first to announce it, but against all reason the rest all jumped in and offered triple miles.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 12:13 pm

New fuel surcharge for award tickets not consistent with partners...

I was searching for fares from LAX to LHR next summer, and the new $50 fuel surcharge doesn't seem uniformly applied. On Continental, it looks like it's adding only $40, whereas on Air France, it's adding $75 from the previous amount of taxes/fees before 8/15.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL GM
why didn't you book your ticket aug 14? DO YOU LIKE PLAYING WITH FIRE?
Old Aug 16, 2008, 7:40 pm

I did already. I was just comparing now after 8/15 just to see what the difference is.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 7:16 am
g50

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA LTP, Hyatt Globalist, FB Plat
Jeff's Quote
The price of fuel has nearly doubled in the last year, causing considerable financial stress to Delta’s business. As a result, Delta is implementing initiatives across all areas of the business to mitigate the extraordinary run up in fuel expense,” said Jeff Robertson, managing director of Delta’s SkyMiles Program. “This was a difficult but essential decision in the face of record-high fuel costs. We hope this is temporary, and should fuel prices subside from current levels, we will reevaluate this surcharge.”

I would guess any reevaluation would be no at any price.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
Originally Posted by DukieDrew
With oil prices now down to below $117 a barrel (down from $147 in July and similar highs in June), at what oil price point does one think DL will do the following as it said in the award surcharge email of June 27th:
It will happen just prior to the time when a particular place (there's a town in Grand Cayman with the same name) freezes over

MO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.