Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta Continues to Adjust to Unprecedented Fuel Costs with Addition of Fuel Surcharge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Continues to Adjust to Unprecedented Fuel Costs with Addition of Fuel Surcharge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2008, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL: MM PM
Originally Posted by southerndoc
This is the final straw that has broken the camel's back.

I am canceling my AmEx SkyMiles Plat card. I can get better rewards and apply those rewards to my student loan payments via Upromise, without added surcharges.

What's next? Toilet surcharge? Complimentary beverage surcharge? How about an AED surcharge to keep that defibrillator in the plane in case something happens?
I'm with you. I DO like AmEx (best customer service of any of the CC companies) so maybe it's time to get a Starwood Optima instead.

At least Starwood isn't slapping customers with an air conditioning/heat fee, a wake-up call fee, $6 for each additional towel after the first one, $5 for sheets/$10 for clean sheets, etc. etc.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
Does anyone actually believe DL, or any of the airlines, will drop or decrease the fuel surcharge? It's another Golden Goose Egg!
Old Jun 28, 2008, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by majorwibi
Seems to me that this is a search engine issue not a DL specific issue...
It applies to ANY airline that uses the dishonest fuel surcharge scam, instead of putting it in the fare where any HONEST airline would put it. This is not an add on extra or something that can be detached from the basic product. Planes have to have fuel to fly and it is an essential part of the basic product, regardless of what the apologists for dishonest airline practices want to say.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 12:39 pm

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Renard
The chance of this being temporary is about the same as snow in Houston in July...the only thing that might be temporary is the amount of the surcharge--they'll surely get greedy and up it several times--perhaps even in response to changes in the price of fuel.
Expect them to raise the TATL surcharge to at least $200, which is what they have been whacking flyers based in Europe for since January.

You can also expect certain posters here to continue their kneejerk support of anything DL does, probably even pay toilets.

This sorry treatment from DL should make all NW flyers redouble their efforts to write DOJ and opposed the takeover of NW.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If airline management and shareholders aren't responsible for the mess they find themselves in, who else is more accountable for the outcomes?

Hopefully we are not going to get into the "blame the customer" game -- that gets as old here as the "blame the victim" card.

What does it matter when you've already said you have no interest in pursuing the matter yourself? Do you have an interest in sincerely applauding efforts by others that would pursue the matter legally?
One thing that we NW flyers need to do is to press the DOJ to demand a ''use as earned'' requirement for NW miles involuntarily converted to SkyPiles, or DL making arrangements to provide us with an equal number of miles in the program of the airline of our choice.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Carolinian
Expect them to raise the TATL surcharge to at least $200, which is what they have been whacking flyers based in Europe for since January.

You can also expect certain posters here to continue their kneejerk support of anything DL does, probably even pay toilets.

This sorry treatment from DL should make all NW flyers redouble their efforts to write DOJ and opposed the takeover of NW.
What makes you think NW wouldn't have done the same if it wasn't being acquired by DL? The addition of fees and add ons is going to continue for quite a while. I don't know about you, but just about every personal service I use, whether its trash pickup, lawncare, etc. etc. is now charging a fuel surcharge. I don't like it, but if I want to continue to use services like these, I will need to pay the fuel surcharge.

What you describe as "kneejerk" support of Delta is quite the opposite. The posters on this thread, myself included, who generally support DL because of the way we've been treated, have and will continue to, criticize DL where warranted.

Oh, and by the way, I agree with you that I did not want DL taking over NW. I'm fearful that the great "service" NW staff is known for will rub off on DL staff.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by SPACER
Just saw an article on the news regarding Delta's decision to surcharge on frequent flyer trips. I think this is fantastic and a move in the right direction. Looking around these forums I'm sickened to read the number of people involved in 'mileage runs' - flying to accrue more flying? I'm not the most environmental person, but that is seriously screwed up for the planet. Hopefully this kind of behaviour is now coming to an end. Hopefully this will also start to put a lid on free flying for business travellers. I think in 10 years time people will look back on these decades and question how the hell the airlines could offer you free private flying when you complete business trips - it's an environmental, taxation and economic anomaly. Flying is a precious resource and shouldn't be given out free to every Tom, Dick and Harry. They certainly shouldn't be burning holes in the sky to earn 'miles' to do the same again. Time to get real.
Funniest post I've read in some time. Party on, comrade!
Old Jun 28, 2008, 2:02 pm

Here's what I don't understand about the whole award ticket fee idea.

My understanding is that DL (and all the other major airlines with FF programs) have gazillions of these miles just sitting in people's accounts waiting to be used. Since FF miles are a taxable asset to the airlines, you'd think (given previous statements by the airlines) that they'd be doing anything possible to get these unused miles off of their books.

So how does it make any sense to implement fees, thereby discouraging people from using their miles?
Old Jun 28, 2008, 2:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by SixAlpha
Here's what I don't understand about the whole award ticket fee idea.

My understanding is that DL (and all the other major airlines with FF programs) have gazillions of these miles just sitting in people's accounts waiting to be used. Since FF miles are a taxable asset to the airlines, you'd think (given previous statements by the airlines) that they'd be doing anything possible to get these unused miles off of their books.

So how does it make any sense to implement fees, thereby discouraging people from using their miles?
The cost of delivering the miles has already been expensed -- they are a liability to the airlines, not an asset. There is no compelling reason to induce people to use them, especially as the optimal scenario for an airline is for such miles to expire unused. (Yep, that's where my AA miles went, too.)
Old Jun 28, 2008, 2:32 pm
Suspended

One thing that we NW flyers need to do is to press the DOJ to demand a ''use as earned'' requirement for NW miles involuntarily converted to SkyPiles, or DL making arrangements to provide us with an equal number of miles in the program of the airline of our choice.
LMAO!

Funniest thing I've read all day!
Old Jun 28, 2008, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
That would be an achievement, but it's unlikely to actually be achieved --especially under this Administration's Justice Department.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tomh009
There is no compelling reason to induce people to use them, especially as the optimal scenario for an airline is for such miles to expire unused. (Yep, that's where my AA miles went, too.)
Yes, at least as much as possible for the airline to do without killing the goose (i.e. FFP) that lays the supposedly golden egg (i.e., funny money FFP miles for which the airline gets real cash).
Old Jun 28, 2008, 4:17 pm

Interesting thread.

Amazing how much vitriol is present here towards an entire organization when a very small handful of people make decisions like this--and I am talking very small--3-4 max based on flow charts, graphs, and cost-benefits analyses done by a bunch of number crunchers sitting in A/C'ed cubicles in ATG.

As one previous poster mentioned, every service I use today is now charging a fuel surcharge in some manner or form, whether it be in an increase in fees for the service or pure, out-right surcharges tacked onto base fees.

It is what it is. You can't expect to fly from JFK-LAX for $264 RT (an actual fair, mind you) and expect the airline that you fly on to survive. Just not going to happen.

I agree with many that the nickel and diming of the paying customer is indeed a travesty. I can't stand to watch the interactions happen on a day-to-day basis...it's revolting. But until someone finds a way to fuel airplanes on spaghetti or another alternative form of fuel, the sky will be the limit with both petrol and fees....

I wish it were different....
Old Jun 28, 2008, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by DLBeno
I agree with many that the nickel and diming of the paying customer is indeed a travesty. I can't stand to watch the interactions happen on a day-to-day basis...it's revolting. But until someone finds a way to fuel airplanes on spaghetti or another alternative form of fuel, the sky will be the limit with both petrol and fees....
How about raising the ticket price instead of tacking on surcharges that don't appear in quote prices on many websites.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by southerndoc
How about raising the ticket price instead of tacking on surcharges that don't appear in quote prices on many websites.
+1 ^

Originally Posted by DLBeno
whether it be in an increase in fees for the service...
It is what it is. You can't expect to fly from JFK-LAX for $264 RT (an actual fair, mind you) and expect the airline that you fly on to survive.
Exactly--charge more for the tickets. That's acceptable, in and of itself.
Most of us understand that rock-bottom fares are not realistic at this time, but we don't like airlines going back on promises or disguising price increases as "surcharges", etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.