FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Continues to Adjust to Unprecedented Fuel Costs with Addition of Fuel Surcharge
Old Jun 28, 2008, 4:17 pm
DLBeno

Interesting thread.

Amazing how much vitriol is present here towards an entire organization when a very small handful of people make decisions like this--and I am talking very small--3-4 max based on flow charts, graphs, and cost-benefits analyses done by a bunch of number crunchers sitting in A/C'ed cubicles in ATG.

As one previous poster mentioned, every service I use today is now charging a fuel surcharge in some manner or form, whether it be in an increase in fees for the service or pure, out-right surcharges tacked onto base fees.

It is what it is. You can't expect to fly from JFK-LAX for $264 RT (an actual fair, mind you) and expect the airline that you fly on to survive. Just not going to happen.

I agree with many that the nickel and diming of the paying customer is indeed a travesty. I can't stand to watch the interactions happen on a day-to-day basis...it's revolting. But until someone finds a way to fuel airplanes on spaghetti or another alternative form of fuel, the sky will be the limit with both petrol and fees....

I wish it were different....