Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta Continues to Adjust to Unprecedented Fuel Costs with Addition of Fuel Surcharge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Continues to Adjust to Unprecedented Fuel Costs with Addition of Fuel Surcharge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by soitgoes
Yes.

A couple of quick examples:

https://www.delta.com/help/faqs/awar...x.jsp#transfer

http://www.delta.com/help/faqs/skymi...s/index.jsp#q3

And even where they have an *, they still don't say they can include any and all fees they want:

http://www.delta.com/about_delta/par...opps/index.jsp

Then there's the e-mails, the signs, on-hold messages, employee statements, connotation of "award", etc.
And then add that to all of their partners' advertisements (Amex, for example).
Let's see how long it will be until DL revises and/or otherwise disappears some of those mentions.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
In that case, I suggest better research. I suggest starting to become aware of the terms and conditions you referred to earlier ... the ones from AA's initial program in the mentioned article. I also suggest a little more awareness about the history of Alitalia's program.
AA's historical program is quite different from its current program. I also fail to see what AZ has to do with the legal threats about changes to a US domiciled loyalty program.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:53 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Please be civil.

Discuss and debate as much as you like, but let us please not get personal here.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta forum
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:57 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
It's $50 for now. Who really thinks they won't increase it?
This is just a fee on award tickets, right? Not regular purchases?
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sxf24
AA's historical program is quite different from its current program. I also fail to see what AZ has to do with the legal threats about changes to a US domiciled loyalty program.
You stated this:

To my knowledge, no current frequent flier program has ever explicitly qualified the duration of redemption options or thresholds.
and, in turn, I provided examples of current frequent flyer programs that "explicitly qualified the duration of redemption options or thresholds".

Whether or not my references add to an individual's knowledge or leads a person to investigate the matter to close knowledge gaps, who knows -- AA's program and AZ's program had "explicitly qualified the duration of redemption options or thresholds".

A little more familiarity with the history of frequent flyer programs and their terms and conditions -- including specifically AA's and AZ's for starters and even later -- shows that the claim about "ever" in your post is very much a false claim.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
This is just a fee on award tickets, right? Not regular purchases?
Yes. The 'fuel surcharges' on paid tickets (or should I say 100% paid tickets, so as to differentiate them from the 'somewhat paid' tickets that award tickets have become) are included in advertised fares, as required by DOT regs.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:12 pm
Suspended

If you say its been discussed, and changes have been made, there should be no problem to support your claim since the search finds no results.
I'm not here to make up for your challenges in conducting a search -- or not conducting one -- but if you need to get yet another clue, try to get familiar with the historical changes to Delta's PDFs.

We've already had this discussion before.
Yes, you and I had an exchange about DL changing how it advertises based on what is posted on FT.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Yes. The 'fuel surcharges' on paid tickets (or should I say 100% paid tickets, so as to differentiate them from the 'somewhat paid' tickets that award tickets have become) are included in advertised fares, as required by DOT regs.
As marketed in print ads, yes.

As marketed online or through other electronic displays, this is a more of a problematic arena.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:15 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
To add these new $25 and $50 fee for award tickets, does this indicate that a significant portion of their tickets being sold are award tickets? To start "taxing" them?

Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
What surprises me about the e-mail I just received announcing fuel surcharges on award tickets is its lack of clarity. I know what Jeff means, but when you read it literally, it sounds like its $25 on award tickets flying from any of the 50 states to Canada or $50 on any of the 50 states or Canada to an international destination. Here it is verbatim:

* $25 for Award Travel between the 50 states and Canada
* $50 for Award Travel between the 50 states/Canada and all international destinations

Anybody else reading this the same way I am?
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I gotta fly anyway, but mileage runs are in my past given the current fee and surcharge environment. As long as I've gotta fly anyway, I'll bank miles, but no longer is airline/alliance one of the first things I look to.
If the end result of these kinds of changes is that there are fewer "MR elites" (and recently Delta's "double EQM MR elites") out there, I don't think that's going to get me upset.

I fly because I need to, and occasionally for vacations. I have never done a MR in my life, nor do I feel like I have missed out on something. And even with fees, I still feel like I'm getting something worthwhile out of concentrating my travel on a couple of airlines.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
To add these new $25 and $50 fee for award tickets, does this indicate that a significant portion of their tickets being sold are award tickets? To start "taxing" them?

I wouldn't be surprised if on some flights up to nearly 20% of seats are accounted for as FFP redemptions.

Speaking of "taxing" award redemptions -- especially since fuel surcharges aren't taxes -- are NW and CO redemptions made on or after August 15th for DL flights subjected to these fuel surcharges too, or are their programs still good for avoiding DL fuel surcharges for award ticket redemptions after August 15th?
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:22 pm

Programs: Delta frequent flyer Gold Medallion Status
Is this sur-charge for international flights $50 each way or $50 round trip? I have received no email from DL.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL, Hhonors Gold
..... so DL award travel is now going to be nothing more than discounted paid travel. Right now it will be 25,000 miles + $25 for a domestic ticket or 50,000 miles + $50 for a US-Europe return ticket. Over time it will become less and less of a discounted ticket and even more of an additional opportunity for DL to capture ever more revenue at time of award ticketing.

Any bets on how long it will be before it will be 25,000 miles+$50 or $100 for a domestic "free roundtrip award ticket" or 50,000 miles + $100 or $200 for a "free roundtrip award ticket" for US-Europe?

"Award travel" is quickly heading toward becoming little more than discounted paid travel ..... and eventually -- if this fuel surcharge nonsense goes unchallenged -- it will trend toward being less and less substantially discounted travel and will come closer and closer to approaching some regular paid fares for travel between the very same city pairs. (If you get unlucky enough, then "award travel" may even be more expensive than regular paid travel between the same city pairs. )
Skysavers aren't 25,000 anymore. I blew my miles on some tickets a few weeks ago for travel in August and it was 37,500 (if I remember... it was about 78K for two coach/no refund/no upgradable tickers <class N I think>). This was for MSY to SFO.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
It's $50 for now. Who really thinks they won't increase it?
Who really thinks they don't have a choice of what airline to fly, if the fees become too onerous? Or to drive or take Amtrak or Greyhound, for that matter?

Every one of these airlines is a business. None of them are charitable trusts set up for the enjoyment of FT members. As a result, their management teams do what they deem appropriate and necessary to deal with the current business environment. If we, as consumers, do not like what their product becomes as a result of those decisions, then we have the option of taking our business elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.