Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta Continues to Adjust to Unprecedented Fuel Costs with Addition of Fuel Surcharge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Continues to Adjust to Unprecedented Fuel Costs with Addition of Fuel Surcharge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by chicagorich
Maybe they won't have to. What percentage of award tickets get flown as originally booked.? How many people book an award and then later call back to change dates, etc.?

Maybe this new fee (assuming that it also applies to award re-issues) will cause people to hang back and make award travel bookings closer to their dates of travel in order to minimize the chances of having to rebook for some reason.

It will apply to reissued award tickets, so if DL reissues your award tickets even for date changes, be prepared to be hit for this fee too.

I have my doubts that the majority of award redemption tickets issued involve even a voluntary date change.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chicagorich
Maybe this new fee (assuming that it also applies to award re-issues) will cause people to hang back and make award travel bookings closer to their dates of travel in order to minimize the chances of having to rebook for some reason.
You won't have to pay it twice, though. After 8/15, if you pay it on your original award ticket, you won't need to pay it again on your reissued ticket. (However, you may have to pay the difference if they increase the award fuel surcharge in the interim.)
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
For the legal minds out there, how is this situation similar to or different from the energy surcharges the hotel chains tried to sneak past consumers about 10 years ago. I know it wasn't much of a victory (coupons towards the price of a future hotel room), but didn't all of the hotel chains wind up settling class action lawsuits related to this issue?
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:53 pm
used to be 'Flyfarfar'

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
Bye bye Delta as my preferred carrier. I'm going to a carrier that doesn't charge these fairs. Why don't you just raise fare prices?

And if they all go that route, bye bye loyalty to any airline.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
For the legal minds out there, how is this situation similar to or different from the energy surcharges the hotel chains tried to sneak past consumers about 10 years ago. I know it wasn't much of a victory (coupons towards the price of a future hotel room), but didn't all of the hotel chains wind up settling class action lawsuits related to this issue?
The hotels didn't ordinarily advertise to members of the general public -- at least not in advance of their showing up at the property -- that they had an energy surcharge and/or what the specific amount of that surcharge was.

Hotels did wind up having to pay wronged consumers as a result of class action litigation.

Edit: .... and there were properties that settled quietly with consumers who never even took the matter to court.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 27, 2008 at 1:05 pm
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Unfortunately, the solution is not as simple as, "Let's hedge our fuel today." Hedging fuel is not nearly as easy as it sounds. In terms of jet fuel, heating oil or even crude, the airline would need a counterparty to take the opposite side of the trade. Given the balance sheets that the airlines had, it would have been impossible for any of the legacy carriers to get someone to accept the counterparty risks. If the price of oil had gone down instead of up, the airlines would have needed to add additional collateral to support the prices that they locked in. Without taking anything away from Southwest's success, it would have been impossible for the legacy carriers to match their financial machinations. As for the numerous legacy executives that you cite, I'd be interested in seeing exactly who they are.

Mike

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
If that's what I asserted, it would indeed be stupid. But thankfully, it's not.

What many smart airlines have done over the years -- both in the USA and elsewhere -- is convert the variable cost of fuel into a fixed cost upon which additional good business decisions can be based.

Several years ago, more than a couple legacy executives scoffed at Southwest for opting to invest in fuel hedges and other arrangements to fix the airline's fuel requirements at a particular price point (I don't remember the exact price, but it was a point below $100/barrel).

Now while some legacy CEOs try to get legacy employees and legacy frequent-flyers to accept some undesirable "new reality" -- and those CEOs will likely succeed, because any lie or mischaracterization told and printed a thousand times becomes accepted as truth by some -- it's more or less business as usual at Southwest and other carriers who engaged in smarter business practices.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 1:04 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by spleenstomper
Skysavers aren't 25,000 anymore.
You can still find SkySaver award redemptions for 25,000 SkyMiles.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes, you and I had an exchange about DL changing how it advertises based on what is posted on FT.
That's not what I asked.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikeef
Unfortunately, the solution is not as simple as, "Let's hedge our fuel today." Hedging fuel is not nearly as easy as it sounds. In terms of jet fuel, heating oil or even crude, the airline would need a counterparty to take the opposite side of the trade. Given the balance sheets that the airlines had, it would have been impossible for any of the legacy carriers to get someone to accept the counterparty risks. If the price of oil had gone down instead of up, the airlines would have needed to add additional collateral to support the prices that they locked in. Without taking anything away from Southwest's success, it would have been impossible for the legacy carriers to match their financial machinations. As for the numerous legacy executives that you cite, I'd be interested in seeing exactly who they are.

Mike
I addition, airlines can't really hedge jet fuel. They hedge other oil commodities and the increasing "crack spread," or the price difference between crude oil and jet fuel is growing. This means that whatever hedges airlines do have are becoming less effective.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Well, if someone here wants to suggest DL is somewhat well managed, then how about looking at the amount of fuel that it hedges?
Second to WN in the US. Pretty good for an airline that was in BK.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 1:39 pm
used to be 'Flyfarfar'

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
Bravo Delta.

Now people are paying $$ for the ability to earn the miles (AMEX)...

And now they will have the opportunity to pay to redeem those miles.

A brilliant strategy.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sxf24
That's not what I asked.
Deny whatever.

Second to WN in the US. Pretty good for an airline that was in BK.
An airline doing that while in or just after bankruptcy is not something I would assert as being "pretty good".

US persons and firms who go through bankruptcy often get credit and counterparty engagements made available to them in a way that would not ordinarily otherwise be coming their way if not for bankruptcy protection.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 1:52 pm
Suspended

I addition, airlines can't really hedge jet fuel. They hedge other oil commodities and the increasing "crack spread," or the price difference between crude oil and jet fuel is growing. This means that whatever hedges airlines do have are becoming less effective.
Airline hedges for fuel are becoming less effective for substantive reasons far greater than the cracked up argument about crack spread.

Airline hedges for fuel have become less effective for substantive reasons far greater than the cracked up argument about crack spread.

Research is all it is cracked up to be ... especially when speaking of oil economics.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 2:02 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
About fuel hedging and the lack of that with Legacy Carriers. Isnt that why we pay millions of $ to executives to make these difficult decisions? If they were not capable of managing the business then they need to be kicked out.

I guess they spend all their time coming up with "special" retention packages that is bankruptcy proof to keep the "talent" in the management group.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 2:04 pm

On the contrary, that's not it. I suggest understanding the concepts of "how some terms and conditions are not necessarily enforceable in all jurisdictions, with the legal concepts of contra proferentem, and with judicial determinations regarding contracts of adhesion".
I am quite familiar with the concepts. I am also familiar that where the courts have ruled on these matters, it has been rare. Sorry, but as I said: non-starter.

Feel free to file suit. Waste of money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.