Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta Continues to Adjust to Unprecedented Fuel Costs with Addition of Fuel Surcharge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Continues to Adjust to Unprecedented Fuel Costs with Addition of Fuel Surcharge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2008, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta frequent flyer Gold Medallion Status
Is this charge for one-way or round-trip? Is it for every ticket or just "award" tickets? Will it apply to tickets already purchased?
Old Jun 27, 2008, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by flyingfran
Is this charge for one-way or round-trip? Is it for every ticket or just "award" tickets? Will it apply to tickets already purchased?
Appears to be round trip. For ticketed trips beginning Aug 15. Did you read the link?
Old Jun 27, 2008, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingfran

Effective Aug. 15, 2008, the SkyMiles® program will add:
A $25 surcharge for Award Travel between the 50 states and Canada

A $50 surcharge for Award Travel between the 50 states/Canada and all international destinations, including the Caribbean, Latin America, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, Trans-Atlantic and Trans-Pacific.

This fuel surcharge will not impact existing ticketed award itineraries or award tickets issued prior to Aug. 15, 2008, regardless of the date of travel.

Old Jun 27, 2008, 8:34 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Email: "Award Travel Fuel Surcharge Announcement"

Hello Mr. DLATL777,

Escalating fuel prices continue to impact our world economy, everyday life and the airline industry. Due to continued, unprecedented fuel costs, we will add the following fuel surcharge to Award Tickets originating from the U.S. and Canada, effective August 15, 2008:

* $25 for Award Travel between the 50 states and Canada
* $50 for Award Travel between the 50 states/Canada and all international destinations

This was a difficult but essential decision to ensure we are doing everything possible to offset the cost of fuel which has nearly doubled in the last year. This fuel surcharge will not impact any existing ticketed Award itineraries or any future Award Tickets issued prior to August 15, 2008, regardless of the date of travel. We hope this is temporary, and should fuel prices subside from current levels, we will reevaluate this surcharge.

We are committed to making SkyMiles® the best frequent flyer program in the industry and providing you with the most benefits and rewards. We will continue to expand the destinations and opportunities for Award Travel and strengthen the program as we prepare for our proposed merger with Northwest Airlines®. Additionally, we will keep you updated on the launch of our new multi-tiered Award program and other key initiatives over the next 60 days.

Thank you for your continued loyalty and support of Delta and the SkyMiles Program—now and always.

JEFF
J. W. Robertson
Managing Director, SkyMiles
Old Jun 27, 2008, 8:35 am

Programs: Delta frequent flyer Gold Medallion Status
Thanks. For some reason I was unable to get the link to open.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 8:36 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Looks like a duplicate, saw the other thread. Can delete if needed.

Last edited by DLATL777; Jun 27, 2008 at 9:04 am
Old Jun 27, 2008, 8:48 am

Programs: DL FC, NW
Originally Posted by chicagorich
Effective Aug. 15, 2008, the SkyMiles® program will add:
A $25 surcharge for Award Travel between the 50 states and Canada

A $50 surcharge for Award Travel between the 50 states/Canada and all international destinations, including the Caribbean, Latin America, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, Trans-Atlantic and Trans-Pacific.

This fuel surcharge will not impact existing ticketed award itineraries or award tickets issued prior to Aug. 15, 2008, regardless of the date of travel.
I wonder how long it will be before someone challenges this in court.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
In making this move, Delta Air Lines had better eliminate any and all references to SkyMiles being a program that offers "FREE" travel in any way, shape, or form.

A fuel surcharge is still "fare" for all legal intents and purposes...
Old Jun 27, 2008, 8:50 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Anyone want to bet that the new 3-tier award structure is announced/effective August 15 and that in the meantime SkySavers will be very limited? They will stick it to us one way or another.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by USCGamecock
As was the case with retroactive baggage fees, Delta is stepping into a legal minefield on this one...
Old Jun 27, 2008, 8:52 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by chicagorich
"We hope this is temporary, and should fuel prices subside from current levels, we will reevaluate this surcharge.”
What a load of crap.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 8:57 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I personally believe that Delta Air Lines SkyMiles already earned and banked should be exempt from this fuel surcharge.

I know I am dreaming, but that is what I believe and what I feel is a fair compromise.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
As was the case with retroactive baggage fees, Delta is stepping into a legal minefield on this one...
And they got spanked by the DOT for that one.

Here's the complaint form. I urge everyone to complain if they feel this is an unacceptable advertising practice:
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/escomplaint/es.cfm

Of interest:
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/rules/2004-11-15-DOT.pdf
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/rules/20030904.pdf
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/rules/20011219.htm
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/rules/20010118.htm
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/rules/19950714.htm
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/rules/19920501.htm

Last edited by soitgoes; Jun 27, 2008 at 9:15 am
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by USCGamecock
Good luck. It is clearly disclosed that award tickets are subject to taxes and fees.

When I can pay less than $200 in taxes and fees for an award ticket worth about 25 times that amount, I think I'm getting a pretty good deal.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
Since these charges don't apply retroactively to ticketed travel, I fail to see how this can be compared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.