Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF, these are the MCTs for MSP:

For DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes
D-I: 35 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 15 minutes (30 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)
I-I: 1 hour 15 minutes (35 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)

Generic online and offline connection times:
D-D: 40 minutes
D-I: 40 minutes
I-D: 1 hour
I-I: 1 hour

Between DL and another carrier: 3 hours 30 minutes
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by audidudi
I'm scheduled to arrive on DL806 from SFO>MSP at 06.20 tomorrow morning, and my next flight DL1995 from MSP>MKE is scheduled to depart at 06.50! Surely this isn't legal?
30 minutes is Delta’s D-D MCT. So it’s legal. Sensible? Depends on how important it is to get to MKE on time. Today, 806 got in 15 minutes early. If it does that tomorrow, you’ll make the connection easy. If not, you’ll just have to hustle. The next flight is at 9, so you’d only be a couple hours late.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by audidudi
I'm scheduled to arrive on DL806 from SFO>MSP at 06.20 tomorrow morning, and my next flight DL1995 from MSP>MKE is scheduled to depart at 06.50! Surely this isn't legal?
It's better to ask such questions before purchasing a ticket (or within the first "24 hours" when you can still cancel for free) rather than the day before travel.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:37 am

Question International Arrivals to Domestic Departure PROCESS

Hi - I've never arrived on an international flight into MSP and could use your help demystifying the process.

I arrive into MSP from AMS on DL in the afternoon and have 3+ hours before my connection to ORD on DL.

- Which terminal would I arrive in?
- Upon passing immigration and getting my bags, do I formally exit the airside terminal and enter the landside of the airport?
- Then do I walk/people mover/monorail it to domestic check-in and bag-check? At ORD they have check-in and bag check outside immigration but before you formally enter the landside of the airport to smooth the transition. Do they have that at MSP?

I guess the most important question for me is do I formally exit into the landside of the airport to then go over to domestic departures for security screening, etc?

Would very much appreciate any insights from the FT community. Thank you.
Sean
Old Jul 27, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by RATSIRT1101L
Hi - I've never arrived on an international flight into MSP and could use your help demystifying the process.

I arrive into MSP from AMS on DL in the afternoon and have 3+ hours before my connection to ORD on DL.

- Which terminal would I arrive in?
- Upon passing immigration and getting my bags, do I formally exit the airside terminal and enter the landside of the airport?
- Then do I walk/people mover/monorail it to domestic check-in and bag-check? At ORD they have check-in and bag check outside immigration but before you formally enter the landside of the airport to smooth the transition. Do they have that at MSP?

I guess the most important question for me is do I formally exit into the landside of the airport to then go over to domestic departures for security screening, etc?

Would very much appreciate any insights from the FT community. Thank you.
Sean
After you clear immigration you will pick up your bags, then exit customs and immediately see a place (as you describe for ORD) to recheck your bags and check in for your connecting flight. Right near that Delta desk there is a TSA checkpoint that puts you airside. Unless your flight is late (that TSA checkpoint closes around 8pm) you will not have to go through the regular landslide check in area.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:22 am

Thank you CarmenOM, that's very illuminating.

And it sounds like MSP has an even slicker operation (at ORD after you re-check post-customs, you have to monorail it to the domestic terminals and then pass through TSA).
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RATSIRT1101L
Thank you CarmenOM, that's very illuminating.

And it sounds like MSP has an even slicker operation (at ORD after you re-check post-customs, you have to monorail it to the domestic terminals and then pass through TSA).
ORD only has CBP at the international terminal. MSP like most airports in US doesn't have a separate international terminal. Instead the planes land at gates that are also used for domestic flights. Thus like most airports no need to goto a different building. Thus there's a TSA checkpoint at most airports in the customs area to allow you to go straight into the terminal.

At ORD even UA/AA international flights land at T5. They're then unloaded and get towed to the domestic terminal for next departure of aircraft.

The new upgrades to ORD are meant to do away with this awful setup. However this will be years away.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
ORD only has CBP at the international terminal. MSP like most airports in US doesn't have a separate international terminal. Instead the planes land at gates that are also used for domestic flights. Thus like most airports no need to goto a different building. Thus there's a TSA checkpoint at most airports in the customs area to allow you to go straight into the terminal.

At ORD even UA/AA international flights land at T5. They're then unloaded and get towed to the domestic terminal for next departure of aircraft.

The new upgrades to ORD are meant to do away with this awful setup. However this will be years away.
BOS is like ORD in having an international terminal and therefore a more tedious process to get from an international arrival to a domestic connection.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CarmenOM

BOS is like ORD in having an international terminal and therefore a more tedious process to get from an international arrival to a domestic connection.
Avoid both when have domestic connections because of this. At least ORD has a plan to do away with this awful setup.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by CarmenOM

True, but BOS is a MUCH smaller airport than ORD. If you're connecting to DL after an international flight at BOS, it's plenty easy to make the 10 minute walk from terminal E to terminal A via a covered walkway. You can't even dream of doing that at ORD.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:10 pm

MSP connection 42 mins

Flying from IND to MSP to catch a 42 minute connection. Looks like my flight (both Delta) usually land at C7 and take off from F13. I am fine with jogging through the airport to make a connection and am flying carry on only. Can I make it?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:13 pm

As long as your inbound is on-time and you don't dawdle between the gates, you'll have no problem making that connection.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
As long as your inbound is on-time and you don't dawdle between the gates, you'll have no problem making that connection.
Is there any scheduled domestic connection at any US airport where this statement does not apply?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by RRDD

Is there any scheduled domestic connection at any US airport where this statement does not apply?
Not that I can think of.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Toph821
Flying from IND to MSP to catch a 42 minute connection. Looks like my flight (both Delta) usually land at C7 and take off from F13. I am fine with jogging through the airport to make a connection and am flying carry on only. Can I make it?
C7 to F13 is a long walk and it's hard to avoid congestion which tends to slow one down during airport sprints. Try for an aisle seat near the front of the first segment and be prepared to hustle. You can double check gate assignments on the app (or using wifi either in the air or through your cell phone upon landing on websites such as flightaware). Be sure you're familiar with the MSP terminal map and know where to run.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Toph821
If it is tight when you arrive, get a cart. Excellent run for a cart

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.