Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF, these are the MCTs for MSP:

For DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes
D-I: 35 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 15 minutes (30 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)
I-I: 1 hour 15 minutes (35 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)

Generic online and offline connection times:
D-D: 40 minutes
D-I: 40 minutes
I-D: 1 hour
I-I: 1 hour

Between DL and another carrier: 3 hours 30 minutes
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
For an indeterminate time (maybe 3 weeks?) South Checkpoint (near F&G concourses) will close around 7PM for some construction work. North Checkpoint, which usually closes at 6:45PM, will remain open.

The notice I received said 7PM for the closing each night. When I was there on Sunday, the first night of the change, South closed at 7:45.
From some pictures I saw on Facebook this morning, checkpoint lines appeared to be running very, very long wait times - 40 minutes+ for pre-check and possibly more for general security.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
It would have to be two tickets. AA and DL don't interline anymore. They shouldn't show up on the same ticket stock even if issued by a carrier (say UA) that interlines with both. If IRROPS happens then DL or AA wouldn't be able to reissue a ticket.
Thanks again for responses flyerCO and MSPeconomist.

Yes - it's 2 separate tickets - TATL to ORD, and then domestic connection to MSP both on BA ticket stock (125), and both flights on AA metal with BA codeshare. The onward ticket from MSP is DL stock (006). This flight is stand alone oneway, hence presents no risk to subsequent sectors if I no-show. This was the only possibility to reach my final destination in one day, so I'm happy to take the risk. If it goes wrong I'll overnight in Minneapolis and front up the cash for a new flight in the morning.

I've just looked at the booking on the Delta website and noticed something really odd (to me at least...). The DL itinerary shows the origin as ORD and details the AA (BA codeshare) domestic flight in addition to and prior to the DL flight from MSP.
I'm aware that AA/DL won't interline anymore, yet my itinerary on the Delta website includes an AA (BA coded) flight. The itinerary is also marked as SkyPriority, despite my Skyteam status having lapsed last year and the DL segment being Main Cabin. Maybe this is a result of OWE status on the AA/BA flight, or the fact the this prior segment is Business.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Friederich

Yes - it's 2 separate tickets - TATL to ORD, and then domestic connection to MSP both on BA ticket stock (125), and both flights on AA metal with BA codeshare. The onward ticket from MSP is DL stock (006). This flight is stand alone oneway, hence presents no risk to subsequent sectors if I no-show. This was the only possibility to reach my final destination in one day, so I'm happy to take the risk. If it goes wrong I'll overnight in Minneapolis and front up the cash for a new flight in the morning.

I've just looked at the booking on the Delta website and noticed something really odd (to me at least...). The DL itinerary shows the origin as ORD and details the AA (BA codeshare) domestic flight in addition to and prior to the DL flight from MSP.
I'm aware that AA/DL won't interline anymore, yet my itinerary on the Delta website includes an AA (BA coded) flight. The itinerary is also marked as SkyPriority, despite my Skyteam status having lapsed last year and the DL segment being Main Cabin. Maybe this is a result of OWE status on the AA/BA flight, or the fact the this prior segment is Business.
Did you buy the tickets directly from BA and DL or use an OLTA OT traditional travel agent? I suspect that a good real live human travel agent might have sold the tickets and done something to link (cross reference) them.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did you buy the tickets directly from BA and DL or use an OLTA OT traditional travel agent? I suspect that a good real live human travel agent might have sold the tickets and done something to link (cross reference) them.
They can be in one reservation action. They just can't be on one ticket.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:53 am

The tickets were booked by the company travel agent.

There is a 6 character 'PNR' style trip locator reference which I assume is an internal TA code - I doesn't bring up any info on the airline websites.
I have the 125 ticket number with a BA booking reference, via which I can determine the associated AA booking reference. Neither of these booking references yield any info of evidence of linkage to the onward DL flight when entered in the BA/AA sites or MyFlights etc.
I have the 006 ticket number and DL booking reference, which when used on the Delta website makes reference to the BA flight number for the AA ORD-MSP sector. This is the only evidence I have that the tickets are linked in some way.

In this context I've never been certain how the PNR is defined. Am I on a single PNR (the TA trip locator?) or 2 separate PNRs (the booking ref for BA and DL)?

I went looking for classiccheckmytrip to see if this would give any clues, but it seems to have disappeared.....

No longer sure what question if any I'm asking... I'll probably call the TA later if I get chance to see if they can explain the nature of the link between the tickets - more to satisfy my curiosity than anything else!

I guess it would be useful to know if the link between the tickets could yield an opportunity to ease the connection in MSP. I'm pretty sure that interlining the baggage is out of the question, so other than the fortuitous SkyPriority I can't see any other benefit?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The TA PNR is the main PNR. You are one reservation. This is important for baggage allowance and fees. The marketing carrier of your first flight policies will govern all flights, including DL. DL will make you recheck bags and pay fees again, but the allowance and fees will be those of the first carrier.

You also have a "limited" PNR in each airlines system. This is simply where the reservation has pushed itself into the operating airlines computers. This is why DL can see the AA flight. It's part of the reservation and thus got pushed to them as part of the reservation. As you noted, your still on 2 tickets since AA and DL don't interline. This is why you have to pickup and recheck bags with DL.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I suspect that the SkyPriority is a mistake which will be corrected before your trip. Don't count in having access to elite lines at MSP, which tend to be guarded aggressively at times.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The TA PNR is the main PNR. You are one reservation. This is important for baggage allowance and fees. The marketing carrier of your first flight policies will govern all flights, including DL. DL will make you recheck bags and pay fees again, but the allowance and fees will be those of the first carrier.

You also have a "limited" PNR in each airlines system. This is simply where the reservation has pushed itself into the operating airlines computers. This is why DL can see the AA flight. It's part of the reservation and thus got pushed to them as part of the reservation. As you noted, your still on 2 tickets since AA and DL don't interline. This is why you have to pickup and recheck bags with DL.
Thanks.

I'm intrigued by the baggage fee comments. Surely since AA(BA) and DL no longer have an interline agreement then it makes no sense for baggage allowance/fees to carry across? Indeed the DL ticket specifically says zero baggage allowance, whereas the AA sectors are 2PC.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:11 am

I suspect that the SkyPriority is a mistake which will be corrected before your trip. Don't count in having access to elite lines at MSP, which tend to be guarded aggressively at times.
Agree....

I assume that 'SkyPriority' is reflected on the Mobile boarding pass on the App, and if it's there then I'm 'good to go' (as you guys like to say)?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:12 am

Thanks.

I'm intrigued by the baggage fee comments. Surely since AA(BA) and DL no longer have an interline agreement then it makes no sense for baggage allowance/fees to carry across? Indeed the DL ticket specifically says zero baggage allowance, whereas the AA sectors are 2PC.
Arguing about baggage fees at MSP will take time that you don't have. I think you should plan to pay and fight it alter.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks.

It's US law. Designed so for example if you get two bags free outbound that you don't have to pay for both when on a different carrier inbound.

The system shows what each flight qualifies for in case that flight is the one that governs.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I booked BWI-MSP-YVR with only a 38 minute connection in MSP. At the time of booking I knew it was a tight connection, but I wasn't focused on the fact that the MSP-YVR flight is the last of the day. Is the MCT on flights to Canada really 45 minutes as noted in the Wiki? Why would Delta have let me book this if it isn't a legal routing and would you ask to be rebooked if you were me?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:41 am

Just because DL sells the ticket does NOT mean that you can assume that connections are legal.

Transborder flights to Canada are international so the rule that you must be on board by T-30 technically applies, although MSP GAs are likely to cut you some slack if the flight isn't badly overbooked and there aren't any anticipated weather problems, such as the need to de-ice the aircraft, that could lead to delays.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Just because DL sells the ticket does NOT mean that you can assume that connections are legal.
Huh? Isn't that the whole point of MCT - that the airline programs into their system how short of a connection they're willing to let you have, depending on where you're transiting through (and to)?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Carpboy823
Huh? Isn't that the whole point of MCT - that the airline programs into their system how short of a connection they're willing to let you have, depending on where you're transiting through (and to)?
In principle, that's the way it should work, but the reality can be different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.