Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF, these are the MCTs for MSP:

For DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes
D-I: 35 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 15 minutes (30 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)
I-I: 1 hour 15 minutes (35 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)

Generic online and offline connection times:
D-D: 40 minutes
D-I: 40 minutes
I-D: 1 hour
I-I: 1 hour

Between DL and another carrier: 3 hours 30 minutes
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Sz17
All,

Booking site is suggesting a 36 minute domestic to international layover at MSP. Delta flight from BDL to MSP and then MSP to HND. Is a 36 minute layover enough? Would be business class with checked bags.

Thanks
Possible, but tight. The question is "what's plan B if something goes wrong" considering that the MSP-HND flight is once per day.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Sz17
All,

Booking site is suggesting a 36 minute domestic to international layover at MSP. Delta flight from BDL to MSP and then MSP to HND. Is a 36 minute layover enough? Would be business class with checked bags.

Thanks
NO. There's only one flight a day to HND and technically the GA can remove you from the flight if you're not on board by T-30. That gives you exactly six minutes to deplane from the BDL flight and make your way to the new gate. HND will almost surely use one (or two) of the G1-G6 gates while BDL will vary, but IME it's likely to use a C gate, high G or high F. If you're the first one off the first flight and move like OJ, six minutes is about how long the "walk" will require.

IMO 36 minutes is far too risky to be within SDC = Sensible Connecting Time even if it's officially within MCT.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mnbp
Possible, but tight. The question is "what's plan B if something goes wrong" considering that the MSP-HND flight is once per day.
The "OP" should check current schedules, but IIRC if you miss MSP-TYO, there's no good way to get to either HND or NRT the same day on DL/SkyTeam. Moreover, DL won't rebook you through Europe (KLM/AF through AMS/CDG) even if the IROPs are DL's fault. OTOH, if the destination is, for example, ICN, DL might rebook you onto a midnight JFK-ICN nonstop departure on KE. In addition, there might be a connection through China from the west coast using MU or CZ.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The "OP" should check current schedules, but IIRC if you miss MSP-TYO, there's no good way to get to either HND or NRT the same day on DL/SkyTeam. Moreover, DL won't rebook you through Europe (KLM/AF through AMS/CDG) even if the IROPs are DL's fault. OTOH, if the destination is, for example, ICN, DL might rebook you onto a midnight JFK-ICN nonstop departure on KE. In addition, there might be a connection through China from the west coast using MU or CZ.

Thanks for the advice. If things do go south there is no good recourse. I will be sitting at MSP for a 3 hour layover before it seems. For others, I have made the trip in question before but with a 58 minute layover and it was tight but doable. 36 minutes would really be pushing it.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DL app/online rebooking tool will give suggestions going through AMS/CDG, always take a look. Agents also nowadays will at least consider it, but no promises. Online is best in this situation. Recently PVG/DTW/YYZ became PVG/CDG/YYZ due to delay for plane maintenance via DL app.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL app/online rebooking tool will give suggestions going through AMS/CDG, always take a look. Agents also nowadays will at least consider it, but no promises. Online is best in this situation. Recently PVG/DTW/YYZ became PVG/CDG/YYZ due to delay for plane maintenance via DL app.
I was told no to rerouting through Europe during a MX IROPs at MSP. In fact, the SC agent said explicitly that this was no longer allowed.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I was told no to rerouting through Europe during a MX IROPs at MSP. In fact, the SC agent said explicitly that this was no longer allowed.
Agents generally won't, but also won't dismiss it outright like in past. DL self rebooking tool will allow. However, some agents depending on the alignment of stars will do it though.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:17 pm

52 min stopover at MSP (HND-MSP-YYZ)

In early December I am flying from HND(Tokyo) to Toronto with a 52 min stopover in MSP. Originally the layover was supposed to be 2 1/2 hours but just found out Delta changed the MSP-YZZ flight recently giving me just a 52 minute stop over at MSP. Can anyone tell me if that's possible to make the connection?

They did offer to change the flight for free but the other possibilities tack on an extra five or six hours to the total travel time so I'm really reluctant to change it especially since I will be travelling alone with my three-year-old daughter. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I would definitely change that connection. The minimum connection time for an international to international connection at MSP is 1 hour, 15 minutes, and even that is tight. Your best bet is to go to dl.com, do a dummy booking there for HND-YYZ, and when you find a combination of flights you like, call and feed the flight information to the agent. That works much better than calling and asking the agent to look up options for you.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by onewayworld
In early December I am flying from HND(Tokyo) to Toronto with a 52 min stopover in MSP. Originally the layover was supposed to be 2 1/2 hours but just found out Delta changed the MSP-YZZ flight recently giving me just a 52 minute stop over at MSP. Can anyone tell me if that's possible to make the connection?

They did offer to change the flight for free but the other possibilities tack on an extra five or six hours to the total travel time so I'm really reluctant to change it especially since I will be travelling alone with my three-year-old daughter. Any advice would be much appreciated!
It's basically impossible as well as being an illegal connection. IF you are an elite runner, and IF you have GE, and IF you are traveling alone without either carry on or checked bags, and IF you know MSP including the current (on the date of travel as they have been changing regularly) TSA security configurations, and IF you have CLEAR, and IF you get PreCheck, and IF it is operating, and IF you don't get the increasingly frequent secondary security checks in the MSP PreCheck lanes, and IF there aren't slow people ahead of you, and IF your HND flight is early, and IF there aren't any international arrivals in immigration and customs ahead of you, and IF all computer systems (CBP and DL) are working well on your travel date, and IF your YYZ flight doesn't depart from a far gate, and IF ....... THEN you might have a chance of making this connection.

BTW AFAIK I-I at MSP is the same as I-D in that you must fully enter the USA but OTOH it's really worse because the DL requirement is to be on board by T-30 (versus IIRC T-15 for domestic flights) or risk losing your seat on an international flight. This includes the transborder flights to Canada.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:23 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
It's basically impossible as well as being an illegal connection. IF you are an elite runner, and IF you have GE, and IF you are traveling alone without either carry on or checked bags, and IF you know MSP including the current (on the date of travel as they have been changing regularly) TSA security configurations, and IF you have CLEAR, and IF you get PreCheck, and IF it is operating, and IF you don't get the increasingly frequent secondary security checks in the MSP PreCheck lanes, and IF there aren't slow people ahead of you, and IF your HND flight is early, and IF there aren't any international arrivals in immigration and customs ahead of you, and IF all computer systems (CBP and DL) are working well on your travel date, and IF your YYZ flight doesn't depart from a far gate, and IF ....... THEN you might have a chance of making this connection.

BTW AFAIK I-I at MSP is the same as I-D in that you must fully enter the USA but OTOH it's really worse because the DL requirement is to be on board by T-30 (versus IIRC T-15 for domestic flights) or risk losing your seat on an international flight. This includes the transborder flights to Canada.
To reinforce and add to the above:
Flights from CDG, AMS, and HND all arrive within about a one-hour period from approximately 12:30-1:30PM, with HND usually the last of those three.
There is no PreCheck lane in the TSA checkpoint between the international arrivals area and the G concourse.
The Delta flights to Canada often leave from the C concourse, so not very close to the G concourse TSA checkpoint.

It would be much smarter to take a longer layover. There is a children's play area on the C concourse, with nearby restaurants, which would provide a good break for a small child after that long flight from Tokyo.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat

So you say I have a chance.
Powers106 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
..."you might have a chance....."
Powers106 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
There's a clip that never gets old:

miraclebear2003 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Also, if it’s more convenient, you can always take a flight out of NRT, given the schedule change

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.