Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF, these are the MCTs for MSP:

For DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes
D-I: 35 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 15 minutes (30 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)
I-I: 1 hour 15 minutes (35 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)

Generic online and offline connection times:
D-D: 40 minutes
D-I: 40 minutes
I-D: 1 hour
I-I: 1 hour

Between DL and another carrier: 3 hours 30 minutes
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:55 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
It is now because a mod merged it

you can't seriously be saying that you've never seen someone start a thread for a question like this
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:33 pm

Exclamation Minimum connection time at MSP

I am looking at booking a trip from YXE to MYR and have to clear customs in Minneapolis St. Paul. I am looking at 1:01 would that be sufficient time to clear customs and make my connection to Atlanta? Any help and feedback is welcome.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is this a transborder flight with immigration and customs preclearance? If not, MCT should be about 1:15-1:30, but there's a big MSP MCT thread here with a wiki giving this information.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
YXE (Saskatoon - had to look that one up, and would have been helpful if you had spelled it out) is not a preclearance airport. You will have to clear US customs and immigration in Minneapolis. An hour is going to be extremely tight.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MCT looks to be 60 minutes. Tight, but I'm guessing there are a number of later flights to ATL. What date is your flight? Unless you have to be in ATL at the scheduled arrival time, I would say it's worth the risk as there will likely be numerous ways to get to ATL from MSP (both non-stop and connecting) if you miss your flight. Important variables would include are you traveling with checked luggage and do you have Global Entry? Those can make a considerable difference.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 7, 2018 at 10:15 pm
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by Stephan Richard
....would that be sufficient time.....
If all the flights are on Delta, then of course you have enough time. Otherwise, Delta would not sell you such a connection.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Really? I would describe the situation as that DL is willing to take responsibility for rebooking the customer is the connection is missed, not that MCT necessarily means that you have enough time, which of course can depend not only on delays but also how quickly the person is able to walk, if a big international flight arrives just before the plane, whether CBP agents are in a bad mood that day, etc.
In2ishn and LowValueCustomer like this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
In2ishn and AKC6 like this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Really? I would describe the situation as that DL is willing to take responsibility for rebooking the customer is the connection is missed, not that MCT necessarily means that you have enough time, which of course can depend not only on delays but also how quickly the person is able to walk, if a big international flight arrives just before the plane, whether CBP agents are in a bad mood that day, etc.
Agreed, but, as with all aspects of life, some people will fall within the margin of error. Imagine the chaos if all connections were based on the slowest passenger and the worst case waits in line.

“margin of error - an amount (usually small) that is allowed for in case of miscalculation or change of circumstances.”
indufan likes this.

Last edited by RRDD; Nov 8, 2018 at 7:54 am
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
MCT looks to be 60 minutes. Tight, but I'm guessing there are a number of later flights to ATL. What date is your flight? Unless you have to be in ATL at the scheduled arrival time, I would say it's worth the risk as there will likely be numerous ways to get to ATL from MSP (both non-stop and connecting) if you miss your flight. Important variables would include are you traveling with checked luggage and do you have Global Entry? Those can make a considerable difference.
I am Nexus pre cleared and I would leave Saskatoon at 5:20 in the morning and should be in MSP near 9-9:30AM.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by Stephan Richard

I am Nexus pre cleared and I would leave Saskatoon at 5:20 in the morning and should be in MSP near 9-9:30AM.
That isn’t a busy time for international arrivals. The peak numbers are between noon and 2pm, when there are arrivals from HND, CDG, and AMS, often within a one hour period.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:22 pm

I see that I-D is 1 hour 15 minutes from the Wiki. We're going to be flying Zihuatanenjo (ZIH) -> MSP -> MSN on DL and our original MSP connection time was going to be 1:20, but now after a recent DL flight change (that they didn't bother to email us about), it stands at 58 minutes. The MSP -> MSN flight is the last flight of the day, so there isn't another option to rebook to. Is there a fair chance we might wind up having to stay overnight in MSP?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by barreg
I see that I-D is 1 hour 15 minutes from the Wiki. We're going to be flying Zihuatanenjo (ZIH) -> MSP -> MSN on DL and our original MSP connection time was going to be 1:20, but now after a recent DL flight change (that they didn't bother to email us about), it stands at 58 minutes. The MSP -> MSN flight is the last flight of the day, so there isn't another option to rebook to. Is there a fair chance we might wind up having to stay overnight in MSP?
Do you have Global Entry? Will you have checked bags? With Global Entry and only carryons, you’d probably make it. Without GE and/or with checked bags, I’d say odds are slim. Given that MSP is the only airport DL serves from ZIH, I guess I’d consider driving if you misconnect
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
You may run into problems if you don't change your ticket. You may not be able to check in at all because the computer sees you have a ticket that violates MCT, or if you try to check a bag, they might not let you do that. So I would you say you really need to change your ticket. I can think of three options, none of which is great for you:

1. Get a refund for the ticket entirely and book on another carrier.
2. Can you fly into MKE instead? If there's an MSP-MKE flight that meets MCT, you may be able to convince a phone agent to book you on that instead.
3. Cross your fingers and hope for a another schedule change that makes your itinerary meet MCT again. Just don't wait too long for DL to have another schedule change or you may be forced to buy an expensive flight on another carrier.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by barreg
I don't know ZIH, but could it be a preclearance airport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.