Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF, these are the MCTs for MSP:

For DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes
D-I: 35 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 15 minutes (30 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)
I-I: 1 hour 15 minutes (35 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)

Generic online and offline connection times:
D-D: 40 minutes
D-I: 40 minutes
I-D: 1 hour
I-I: 1 hour

Between DL and another carrier: 3 hours 30 minutes
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2021, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I was needling the previous poster who was apparently suggesting MSP-ATL-HNL as IROPS/misconnect recovery ... yes, NYC-ATL-HNL is far more viable in terms of options
Old Mar 23, 2021, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
OP is looking to book Delta One (per the thread starter) which would entitle OP to SkyClub access.

In IROPS, knowledge is your friend. If you experience IROPS in JFK that would cause you to misconnect on the MSP-HNL leg and you would be looking at domestic F options, at least know to ask for JFK-LAX-HNL, as JFK-LAX would at least get you a lie-flat on that segment. LAX-HNL would likely still be on an aircraft with a regular domestic F seat.

Even though it sounds like you will opt for the longer layover (and since you'll have SkyClub access, you'll have a nice way to spend the time during the layover), I will note, that while there is good advice above that the schedule is likely to change, it's still a gamble on whether that change would be big enough to allow you to rebook with a fare difference waiver. For example, if you book the 1 hour connection in MSP, and DL shifts the schedules and now you have a 30-40 minute layover in MSP, this is still a legal connection and also a change that, per the rules, is not a big enough change to warrant a rebooking. You may get an agent who will bend the rules, especially if you express that you are concerned about the tight connection, but any rebooking in this scenario would be a waiver/favor and is not guaranteed. (This last bit of data may seem extraneous, but perhaps it will further help reinforce your preference to book the longer layover).
Thanks. A ton of great info I had not considered that we be extremely useful (along with a bunch of other replies in this thread).

I'm leaning towards the longer connection for piece of mind (and SkyClub access), but it sounds like there may be enough schedule changes over the next few months making that moot. Even with that in mind, I was hoping to get something on the books by the end of the month to lock in the extended COVID change fee flexibility before that expires.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL DM
I always recommend a longer connection when it is reasonable. So personally, I would opt for the 3 hour connection. That being said, if the 1 hour was the only option, I would be OK with it too. However longer is always better and creates less stress. With a 1 hour connection, there is little to no room for error.

A few weeks ago I had a 2.5 hour connection get reduced to 50 minutes due to a delayed inbound flight. While there were plenty of later flights, all of them were already "Covid Full" so I was worried about there not being any seats available should I mis-connect. Fortunately I made it, and by August things should be back to 100% seat capacity, but it still something to consider.
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 12:03 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jrl767
I was needling the previous poster who was apparently suggesting MSP-ATL-HNL as IROPS/misconnect recovery ... yes, NYC-ATL-HNL is far more viable in terms of options
What is needling?

More importantly - expect the airlines to add tons of capacity back by August. Especially for leisure flights. The biggest glut in the travel industry now - especially planes and rental cars - is that demand is outpacing supply.

Airlines can correct this easily because they already have the aircraft purchased, just parked.

So MSP-ATL-HNL could be viable by then. Forget the current schedule.

More importantly, you seem to have missed the conclusion of my prior post. It was that it is easy to identify potential delays so disruptive as to cause a misconnect prior to departure of the first flight. It takes a few seconds of knowledge and work, but far less time than the time wasted from an unnecessary connection. This allows for a complete rebooking, if necessary, prior to boarding the first segment.

I am flying to get to my destination. Not waste time in airports or clubs - airports were never a destination to me, and airline clubs have lost much of any appeal they ever over these last 12 months.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
What is needling?

More importantly - expect the airlines to add tons of capacity back by August. Especially for leisure flights. The biggest glut in the travel industry now - especially planes and rental cars - is that demand is outpacing supply.

Airlines can correct this easily because they already have the aircraft purchased, just parked.

So MSP-ATL-HNL could be viable by then. Forget the current schedule.
I think jrl767 has a valid point. Keep in mind that if already in MSP, one would need at least 3 hours for flight time plus connection, plus an hour time change going from Central to Eastern, and this is also on top of being able to determine that MSP-HNL has been canceled or delayed enough that a reroute to MSP-ATL-HNL is worthwhile. So unless DL adds a very late afternoon or early evening ATL-HNL flight (which they have operated before - I took an ATL-HNL flight in 2008 that left ATL at ~ 4:00 PM; they may have even operated ATL-HNL 2x daily at that point), MSP-ATL-HNL is unlikely to be a viable option in IROPS, day of unless DL adds additional ATL-HNL capacity in the near future and even that isn't then a guarantee that it would be viable for OP day of if already in MSP (it could be if OP is still at JFK).
Old Mar 24, 2021, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I could see MSP-HNL being rebooked in IROPs to MSP-ATL-HNL if travel will be delayed by a day and there aren't any seats (in the desired cabin) that can be confirmed on the MSP-HNL nonstop the following day.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
OP is looking to book Delta One (per the thread starter) which would entitle OP to SkyClub access.

In IROPS, knowledge is your friend. If you experience IROPS in JFK that would cause you to misconnect on the MSP-HNL leg and you would be looking at domestic F options, at least know to ask for JFK-LAX-HNL, as JFK-LAX would at least get you a lie-flat on that segment. LAX-HNL would likely still be on an aircraft with a regular domestic F seat.

Even though it sounds like you will opt for the longer layover (and since you'll have SkyClub access, you'll have a nice way to spend the time during the layover), I will note, that while there is good advice above that the schedule is likely to change, it's still a gamble on whether that change would be big enough to allow you to rebook with a fare difference waiver. For example, if you book the 1 hour connection in MSP, and DL shifts the schedules and now you have a 30-40 minute layover in MSP, this is still a legal connection and also a change that, per the rules, is not a big enough change to warrant a rebooking. You may get an agent who will bend the rules, especially if you express that you are concerned about the tight connection, but any rebooking in this scenario would be a waiver/favor and is not guaranteed. (This last bit of data may seem extraneous, but perhaps it will further help reinforce your preference to book the longer layover).
I am now seeing there is an option (EWR-MSP-HNL) that provides a 30-minute layover. I definitely do not want to fly out of Newark, but could it be worth a gamble to hope for a schedule change between now and August, allowing me to rebook to something much more preferred (like LGA-ATL-MSP)?
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by JyC9098
I am now seeing there is an option (EWR-MSP-HNL) that provides a 30-minute layover. I definitely do not want to fly out of Newark, but could it be worth a gamble to hope for a schedule change between now and August, allowing me to rebook to something much more preferred (like LGA-ATL-MSP)?
I have definitely done this myself in the past because the MCT has to be 30 mins so even a 1 minute decrease would make it an illegal connection and subject to change.

All about your risk tolerance. If you really prefer LGA and the longer ATL-HNL, I would go for it. No change fees after all anymore, even if there isn’t a schedule change (but booking this far out there almost certainly will be).

Also, is EWR-MSP a mainline flight or a connection carrier? Keep in mind that even a change of carrier (which happens a lot on these types of flights) from one connection carrier to another, or from mainline to a connection carrier, is also valid for a free change.
MSPeconomist and Duke787 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
It's all about risk tolerance and your gambling tolerance. While the schedule change gamble can pay off, it's still a gamble, and you should always be prepared to fly the itinerary you initially book. There could just as easily be no schedule change or maybe only a schedule change of ~5-10 minutes that then leaves you with a 35-40 minute layover which is hardly any better than a 30 minute layover.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
What are you dates? Easier to give advice here with dates
Old Mar 24, 2021, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
What are you dates? Easier to give advice here with dates
Traveling for my sister's wedding so dates are limited to Aug 19, or potentially Aug 18.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Traveling for my sister's wedding so dates are limited to Aug 19, or potentially Aug 18.
For a wedding, I'd plan to arrive a day early in case things go wrong. It's like a cruise, but a bit worse in that if you miss the ceremony, you can't just catch up in the next port.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For a wedding, I'd plan to arrive a day early in case things go wrong. It's like a cruise, but a bit worse in that if you miss the ceremony, you can't just catch up in the next port.
I completely agree with this for an event that cannot be missed.

Having said that - I suspect booking the 30 min connection and calling a few days before departure (if there is no schedule change) and telling them it’s for sister’s wedding will mean they will change the routing for free to ensure you make it comfortably.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Roundtrip or just the one-way?

Also is flying DL a hard requirement? If it's not, there are better and cheaper options than DL at the moment. The HA JFK - HNL direct is cheaper than DL. So is the AA option via CLT/ORD/DFW (on the 772 and 787 respectively). It also looks like UA via IAD/ORD is cheaper too (at least for a one-way). All of those options are lie-flats and AA/UA have better J service than DL does right now so if there's not a hard DL requirement, I would consider those options which all have more palatable connections.

EWR - CLT - HNL on AA on August 18th has a 1 hour 18 minute connection which for CLT would be plenty.

Last edited by Duke787; Mar 24, 2021 at 3:28 pm
Old Mar 24, 2021, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I completely agree with this for an event that cannot be missed.

Having said that - I suspect booking the 30 min connection and calling a few days before departure (if there is no schedule change) and telling them it’s for sister’s wedding will mean they will change the routing for free to ensure you make it comfortably.
for you as a DM (or myself as a PM) this gambit **might** work ... OP's profile doesn't indicate any status, so likely a risky approach
MSPeconomist and btonkid12345 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.