Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF, these are the MCTs for MSP:

For DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes
D-I: 35 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 15 minutes (30 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)
I-I: 1 hour 15 minutes (35 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)

Generic online and offline connection times:
D-D: 40 minutes
D-I: 40 minutes
I-D: 1 hour
I-I: 1 hour

Between DL and another carrier: 3 hours 30 minutes
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Duke787
Good news is plane looks decently empty, C+ cleared despite being within T-5 (flight leaves Tuesday), bad news I booked after the PM window so I missed the early F upgrade (went from F=8 to F=4 on the longer MSP - SJC) but still a chance on both flights (and I won't be checking a bag). I could live with the SFO re-route except there aren't any SFO options ex-MSP at that hour
It looks to me like there is an SFO option a half hour later, though yeah, at that hour options will be extremely limited. I didn't realize the SJC flight had been pushed back so late. Last time I took it, it was midday.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:18 am

Did a quick search, but looking for a more definitive answer. Flying DL One HND-MSP in early October. Will be booking a separate ticket (also on DL) MSP-CHI (either ORD or MDW; no preference). The flight from HND lands at 12:28pm, and then there are flights to MDW and ORD at 1:05pm and 1:10pm; respectively. I’ll have a carry-on only, and am a GE member.

If I book one of the two flights above, but miss it due to a delay on the leg from HND, will DL move me to a later flight at no-cost? I realize that the two tickets won’t be linked/connected by PNR.

If that’s too risky, I can book a flight three hours later— and hopefully standby for the earlier flight if I make it in time. But in order to do SDC/standby, I understand that I need to purchase a first class ticket, right (no DL status)?

Just trying to find the best way to make it back to Chicago without a three hour layover (especially since there are no showers in MSP). Thanks all for your help!

Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:45 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by sletohdarnoc
If I book one of the two flights above, but miss it due to a delay on the leg from HND, will DL move me to a later flight at no-cost? I realize that the two tickets won’t be linked/connected by PNR.

By all accounts they'll protect you across two reservations just as if it was a single one -- fortunately I have not had to discover this firsthand yet -- BUT I doubt they will do so if your "connection" violates MCT, as yours would.

If that’s too risky, I can book a flight three hours later— and hopefully standby for the earlier flight if I make it in time. But in order to do SDC/standby, I understand that I need to purchase a first class ticket, right (no DL status)?
This would be my choice if it were me (I did a 20-minute I-D connection at SEA this way once )

You don't need an F/J ticket to do SDC/standby, just that for FO or no status there is a $75 fee (regardless of cabin, but only charged if successful). However, especially if you do it at the gate there's some chance they won't bother collecting it.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Did a quick search, but looking for a more definitive answer. Flying DL One HND-MSP in early October. Will be booking a separate ticket (also on DL) MSP-CHI (either ORD or MDW; no preference). The flight from HND lands at 12:28pm, and then there are flights to MDW and ORD at 1:05pm and 1:10pm; respectively. I’ll have a carry-on only, and am a GE member.

Just trying to find the best way to make it back to Chicago without a three hour layover (especially since there are no showers in MSP). Thanks all for your help!

The HND flight arrives around the same time as some DL nonstops from Europe. Last month I had a long wait for the CBP machines after deplaning from the HND flight in D1 and then more lines, so it took a shockingly long time (for MSP) to exit the airport.

Moreover it can be a pretty long walk from the aircraft through immigration and customs and then through TSA security and into the airside portion of the terminal. [I'm not sure if there's PreCheck after exiting customs or if you need to go down to baggage claim and back up through the South or North checkpoints, which do have CLEAR also.] Even if you arrive on time, I think the chances of making a domestic departure in about forty minutes would be slight at best, although I don;t know what gates currently tend to be used for the ORD and MDW flights at MSP. [Long ago, the PMNW fast trsck (shuttle) flights to ORD always left from G6-G8, while incoming international DL flights that aren't preclearance tend to use G1-G6. I've had MDW leave from high F as well as middle C gates, depending somewhat on aircraft type.]
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DL protects across tickets, but by policy only if MCT as if booked as one is met. They'd likely help, but there's nothing requiring they help. MSP/CHI is popular route, thus increased chance of later flights being full. I just dont think this is a realistic connection.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
To reinforce what has already been stated:
Those proposed connection times are quite unrealistic. As MSPeconomist pointed out, that is a busy arrival time at MSP. The current scheduled midday arrival times from CDG, AMS, and HND are 12:14, 12:35, and 12:39. The TSA checkpoint for connecting passengers from Immigration & Customs has neither PreCheck nor CLEAR. The alternative to go back out through baggage claim and up to the TSA checkpoints on the ticketing level is long, with no assurances about the wait times, even for PreCheck.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:17 am

Thanks all— really appreciate the guidance. I went ahead and booked a later flight— but will keep my fingers crossed for some extreme tailwinds and SDC on the earlier flight.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:36 am

Uh, guys. The 1:10 departure gives him a 42 minute connection, which meets MCT.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:37 am

never mind, I thought he was coming from HNL, not HND.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Uh, guys. The 1:10 departure gives him a 42 minute connection, which meets MCT.
DL I-D at MSP seems to be an hour and fifteen minutes. I don't think there's an I-D MCT anywhere that would be under forty-five minutes, and I can't even think of one under 1:15 without checking a couple unlikely possibilities.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 4:37 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Schedule change

Hello. I am a wheelchair dependent non-status pax who was recently notified of an itinerary change which changed my D-D connection time to 39 mins.
I would therefore like to cancel this itinerary and am wondering if this invol schedule change would qualify as a valid reason for full refund. This is a BE itinerary. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old Nov 30, 2019, 4:44 am

How do the new times compare to the original times?
Old Nov 30, 2019, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In terms of whether or not the connection is legal, the MCT for DL-DL D-D at MSP is 30 minutes.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How do the new times compare to the original times?
Original itinerary had connection time in MSP of 69 mins. Rescheduled itinerary has connection time reduced to 39 mins. Using a wheelchair attendant and usually deplaning last, I am concerned about missing the onward connection.
Actually, I am really looking to cancel the entire reservation and having miles returned to my account. Do I have a chance to achieve this?
Thanks to both replies.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cagcag
Original itinerary had connection time in MSP of 69 mins. Rescheduled itinerary has connection time reduced to 39 mins. Using a wheelchair attendant and usually deplaning last, I am concerned about missing the onward connection.
Actually, I am really looking to cancel the entire reservation and having miles returned to my account. Do I have a chance to achieve this?
Thanks to both replies.
It's certainly free to ask, but my best guess is that they'd be way more likely to rebook you to flights with a longer connection, rather than let you the cancel the reservation. MSP-ATL and ATL-MYR certainly are both going to have a good amount of frequency in terms of alternative options.

Can't hurt to ask, though - worst they can say is no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.